Jan 08 2013
By: O-EXTRA Hekseville Citizen 329 posts

Comboing Narkio's Down Triangle with Circle

[ Edited ]
12 replies 247 views Edited Jan 8, 2013

I was excited when I found out that this was possible....only to be let down and discover that it's not a real combo. Unless your opponent is unresponsive or doesn't react quick enough after you pull them with Down Triangle, they can escape the follow up of circle every single time. Now I don't think Nariko needs a major buff or anything, but I do believe she should be able to do this combo for without it, the pull is practically useless to her in a real fight. All it does is put her in a position to be easily punished by a skilled player. it doesn't have to be easy to do, I just want it to be possible without my opponent's late reaction time or failure to react all together. Any other Nariko users feel the same as I do?

Oh and on a side note, I'm curious as to why SB even bothered to give her Square attacks combos that you can't combo (with the exception of Down Square twice)?

EDIT: Ok so I found out that it can be comboed, it's just the timing is stupid rediculously strict. Man why did SB have to make it so dang hard to combo?

Message 1 of 13 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
286 posts

Re: Comboing Narkio's Down Triangle with Circle

Jan 8, 2013
It IS combo-able. It's a 1 frame link meaning it's hard as fawk to do. Practice in training mode with the dummy on Auto Guard and you'll see what I mean.I know what you mean with the square attacks though. It sucks that only one out of the four combos connects.
Message 2 of 13 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2644 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 8, 2013

It's comboable...but there's like 1 frame of possibility. More than likely...the player isn't blocking when you pull them in. I've found that using a triple square after pulling them in, then going to the circle when her key pose hits, works much better because it catches players off guard, as they are expecting you to go straight to circle after her down triangle.

Another option you can try, is after pulling them in, try a triple square, key pose, then do a quick jump/up square to spin.  It'll pop them into the air and you can follow up with another jump and start a combo.

Message 3 of 13 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
329 posts

Jan 8, 2013

I have the timing down and can pull it of quite often, but every time I tested it on my bro to see if it actually connected he escaped every single time.

I just gave what you said a go, and the AI's auto block is extremely delayed. It didn't even block when I missed the timing on the combo....For better testing I also put the AI on jump and even put it's CPU on yellow and red, and the combo never connected.

As for the square combos, I wish they at least made it so that after the yellow light (cancel) comes up mid combo, it stored where you last left off and you can continue with the rest of the supposed combo when you see fit or of course reset it with a different square direction.

Message 4 of 13 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
329 posts

Jan 8, 2013

Yeah I know that in practice mode the attack display will say it's comboable, I do it plenty of times, but when you actually put it to practice a player who tries to dodge, block, etc. will be able to do so regardless if your timing is perfect. And circle after the 3 Squares can easily be avoided as well (though you're right in that it' can possibly catch a player off guard). Also thanks for the other tips but I already know about the jump up square start up :smileywink:

Message 5 of 13 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
329 posts

Jan 8, 2013

Ok nevermind, I was wrong. I kept testing it with the AI on jump and I actually pulled it off twice. It seems that the timing is extremely tight like you guys said. The funny thing about this though is that it seems the timing is different from when the player is standing still to when the player is about to move. So now that I know that it is possible I'll just keep practicing with this until I get it down.

Message 6 of 13 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2644 posts

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah, I've noticed that the timing does seem to change depending on what the character is doing. Would be great if it comboed everytime cause there are a couple 200+ap combos that you can go into from it...but I think Superbot kinda knew that that would have been a bit too much.

Message 7 of 13 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
329 posts

Jan 8, 2013

Hmm well considering her LV 1 is so situational (just like the kill confirm for it), and her LV2 is ok at best, I wonder why they thought making the timing so strict would balance her out. Heihachi has quite a few 180+ AP combos and his LV1 is ok (that has a decent kill confirm or 2), and his LV2 is strong. It really makes me wonder what they were thinking when they "balanced" each character out. Like it's ok for Raiden to have 4+ kill confirms, but it's not ok for Nariko to be able to combo Down Triangle and Circle a bit easier? Craziness if you ask me lol.

Message 8 of 13 (200 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2644 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 8, 2013

O-EXTRA wrote:

Hmm well considering her LV 1 is so situational (just like the kill confirm for it), and her LV2 is ok at best, I wonder why they thought making the timing so strict would balance her out. Heihachi has quite a few 180+ AP combos and his LV1 is ok (that has a decent kill confirm or 2), and his LV2 is strong. It really makes me wonder what they were thinking when they "balanced" each character out. Like it's ok for Raiden to have 4+ kill confirms, but it's not ok for Nariko to be able to combo Down Triangle and Circle a bit easier? Craziness if you ask me lol.

Heh.  I hear ya.  Maybe cause they figured her level 3 was a beast, or that her gameplay mechanics are more based around her keypose attacks?  Not sure.  It honestly hasn't hindered me much, as I'm trying to not go into circle from down triangle for fear of getting a whoopin'. :smileyhappy:   I find myself using her level 2 super the most and it's not all that hard to get to.   Here's a couple of matches I had, recently.  They were all level 2 supers except for 1, which was a level 1.

NarikoTD1.jpgNarikoTD2.jpg

Message 9 of 13 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Jan 8, 2013
Because Nariko has range, flexibility, and power over her combos. During amateur hour, her combos are already devastating. When you get someone that knows the counter, they are to be justly rewarded. It is your responsibility to one up your opponent by perfecting your moves.

On the flipside, all raiden has are his kill confirms. He doesn't have range, reach, or flexibility. Everywhere his sword goes, he follows, and although he's a powerful weapon, that it his weakness.

this is me helping
Message 10 of 13 (174 Views)
0 Likes