Reply
Nov 12 2012
By: bob-maul Welcoming Committee 14612 posts
Offline

Clarifying Overpowered

29 replies 264 views Edited Nov 12, 2012

I know many rushed into here thinking I would say something about a character being OP, but I am not. I am here to help some people relax about the tiers a bit. 

 

During the beta, many forum-goers were saying that Kratos was OP. Since so many people thought the same thing, we can assume that Kratos has some major advantage. We cannot assume that 100 people are all just that bad against one character in particular and amazng towards all the other ones. Most came to the conclusion that it was his AP gain and spamtastic chain moves that utilize this massive AP gain.

 

For those saying he did not have this noob-friendly advantage- you are wrong.  Maybe you just knew the right way to beat those players. Maybe they were worse than the ones others played. But the fact is, he had some crazy fast AP gain and some astounding reach with those chains. 

 

People saying Kratos was not OP because [insert pic with 3 defeated Kratos's]- Realize you beating a few random players of different skill levels means nothing. They could be bad or you could be insanely good. Also, by the same logic, your character was OP because it DID beat 3 people really bad! Your Sweet Tooth with 15 points MUST be OP because 15 points is a lot! That is fallacious reasoning. It does not account for the skill levels of players whatsoever!

 

But there is hope for those who fear OP characters! In a couple interviews, Omar stated that they are able to change game mechanics on the fly WITHOUT a patch! Mortal Kombat 2011 did this too. Is Kratos's AP gain too fast? Well, they can lessen it now! Does a character have unfair combos? They can nerf the AP gain of those combos and make them less efficient. 

 

I really hope this clarified some things and gave some hope for balance!


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 1 of 30 (264 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 09/24/2012
Offline
1035 posts
 

Re: Clarifying Overpowered

Nov 12, 2012
all the characters are balanced look at my other post of me dominating 3 other people with parappa
Message 2 of 30 (261 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 09/17/2012
Offline
2454 posts
 

Re: Clarifying Overpowered

Nov 12, 2012
They should do what some racing games do, allow the loser to catch up built into the game
Message 3 of 30 (260 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14612 posts
 

Re: Clarifying Overpowered

Nov 12, 2012

kenan456 wrote:
all the characters are balanced look at my other post of me dominating 3 other people with parappa

Read the middle part about your pictures meaning nothing. It should help you see my point.


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 4 of 30 (258 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14612 posts
 

Re: Clarifying Overpowered

Nov 12, 2012

RikkiRossTheBoss wrote:
They should do what some racing games do, allow the loser to catch up built into the game

That I disagree with. That has Mario Kart's blue shell written all over it


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 5 of 30 (257 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 09/24/2012
Offline
1035 posts
 

Re: Clarifying Overpowered

Nov 12, 2012

bob-maul wrote:

kenan456 wrote:
all the characters are balanced look at my other post of me dominating 3 other people with parappa

Read the middle part about your pictures meaning nothing. It should help you see my point.


i did it on purpose sorry, yeah i agree with most of this

 

Message 6 of 30 (254 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 09/17/2012
Offline
2454 posts
 

Re: Clarifying Overpowered

Nov 12, 2012
nooooo, with racing games your top speed gets slightly lowered to allow losers to catch up this should be adopted and slightly lowers AP gain
Message 7 of 30 (252 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14612 posts
 

Re: Clarifying Overpowered

Nov 12, 2012

RikkiRossTheBoss wrote:
nooooo, with racing games your top speed gets slightly lowered to allow losers to catch up this should be adopted and slightly lowers AP gain

That takes the competitive nature out of the game. Losers should adapt and learn to beat their friends by their own skill. The game should not take sides.


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 8 of 30 (248 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 09/17/2012
Offline
2454 posts
 

Re: Clarifying Overpowered

Nov 12, 2012
Yes but this game appeals to every auidience to every age and more skilled players have a big advantage.... Even halo 4 does it if your a low level and go into a quick match you join the winning team.... If there's room
Message 9 of 30 (233 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14612 posts
 

Re: Clarifying Overpowered

Nov 12, 2012

RikkiRossTheBoss wrote:
Yes but this game appeals to every auidience to every age and more skilled players have a big advantage.... Even halo 4 does it if your a low level and go into a quick match you join the winning team.... If there's room

That is incredibly different. Fighting games are based a lot more on the individual than a team. If a weak player is put on a winning team, what happens? Little difference. If a good player has 5 kills and the losing guy has -4, the winning guy is now detrimented because the other guy is awful in comparison. It has no place in a fighting game. Or a racer even.  


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 10 of 30 (226 Views)
Reply
0 Likes