Oct 08 2012
By: Chrono-Cactaur Hekseville Citizen 325 posts

ChronoCactaur's Roster Analysis

[ Edited ]
71 replies 704 views Edited Oct 8, 2012

I'll keep it brief.

<b>1: Kratos</b>
The main character of the God of War series. While not a great series on its own, it was a huge deal for Sony back when the first one came out in 2005. It set the bar for action games even after Devil May Cry was already released. While not a great or likeable character, I think his inclusion is fine and harmless. More of a character that contributes to the gameplay than PlayStation's lineage, much like Nariko.

PlayStation All-Star? Yes

<b>2: PaRappa</b>
The titular character from the rhythm game series of the same name. Before DDR was a thing, PaRappa debut on the PlayStation in 1996/1997, and was a big launch pad for rhythm games in general; If it wasen't for PaRappa The Rapper, we wouldn't have Rhythm Heaven, DDR, Bust-A-Groove, or even UmJammer Lammy. The character himself has some funny **bleep** quotes, to boot. While he doesn't seem to contribute to the gameplay too much, PaRappa is a good example of a PlayStation All-Star.

[b]3: Sweet Tooth[/b]
The main(?) character of the Twisted Metal series, which is the second oldest Sony IP behind Jumping Flash. The series has many entries, but most fans only regard the second entry and the PS2 entry as the best of the series. On just about every game's cover you can see Sweet Tooth's mug, so from an "icon" perspective, Sweet Tooth makes sense. Another example of a PlayStation All-Star, but for different reasons than PaRappa.

[b]4: Fat Princess[/b]
The titular character from the game series of the same name, though she barely did anything in it. She represents the digital side of PlayStation, and was most likely chosen to upgrade the female roster(Because without Fat Princess we'd just be stuck with Nariko...), so she's definitely more of a gameplay addition than a PlayStation All-Star, but is a fine addition because she's female... and she's not the worst character they could have picked.

PlayStation All-Star? Maybe

[b]5: Colonel Radec[/b]
The main villain of Killzone 2... which is an FPS series. Killzone is pretty much Sony's flagship FPS series, since Resistance wasen't so great apparently. Killzone isn't really considered one of the best PlayStation IPs, though, so Superbot choosing a character from that series seems suspect, and they could have picked better villains to boot. Gameplay-wise, he is a decent addition: the "sniper"; Ina ll honesty, though, they could have found another long-range character, like Sackboy apparently is.

PlayStation All-Star? No

[b]6: Sly Cooper[/b]
The titular character from the stealth platforming series; Arguably one of PlayStation's most original IPs, and was huge in the PS2 era; Ratchet, Jak, and Sly were considered the "Big 3" of PS2, so all of their inclusions make sense from a PlayStation All-Star perspective. It's also great that Sly Cooper seems to be a unique character gameplay-wise(No blocking, but disappears); Will likely be high-tier.

[b]7: Toro Inoue[/b]
PlayStation's mascot in Japan... and, that's about it really. The three stances gameplay mechanic is unique, though, and he looks like a fun character.

[b]8: Heihachi[/b]
The main character of the Tekken series, which is a fighting game IP from Namco. Tekken has been exclusive to arcades and PlayStation home consoles from its inception in 1995 until the release of Tekken 6 in 2009. Tekken 3 is one of the best-selling PS1 games. Heihachi was even exclusive to the PS2 verison of Soul Calibur II.

[b]9: Jak & Daxter[/b]
The main characters of the series of the same name, and the first of the "Big 3" to debut on the PS2. Developers by Naughty Dog, Jak & Daxter is often considered the best of the Big 3 by fans(Some prefer Ratchet, however), and the first game is considered one of the best PS2 games in general. Jak II took the series in a different direction, but was still considered a hit.

[b]10: Cole MacGrath[/b](Good & Evil)
The main character of inFamous. While not an appealing character himself, it's the gameplay of his series that stands out; Being able to alter your "alliance" with various actions was quite appealing to some gamers, apparently. I personally don't consider Cole an all-star, but his game series deserved representation... I guess? Also, they really should have made the two Coles only take up one slot on the roster, but I digress.

[b]11: Ratchet & Clank[/b]
The infamous pair from the series of the same name. Ratchet & Clank was the last of the Big 3 to be introduced to the PS2, and ended up being the first(or second depending on who you ask) best series from a sales and reception point of view, and introduced a unique gameplay system with the variety of weapons; As a result, Ratchet & Clank is a diversive character in PlayStation All-Stars, so they contribute to both sides of the PlayStation spectrum quite well.

[b]12: Spike[/b]
The main character of the original Ape Escape, which is remembered fondly for properly introducing the Dualshock controller to gamers back in May of 1999. Ape Escape is one of PlayStation's best-selling IPs to date, and is hugely popular in Asia. Thanks to various gadgets given to Spike and other various ape hunters, he also brings a unique moveset to the table, much like Ratchet & Clank do. Fun Fact: The original Ape Escape is the only entry in the series to come out in the US before Japan.

[b]13: Sackboy[/b]
The main avatar of the LittleBigPlanet series, which introduced the concept of "Play, Create, Share". LittleBigPlanet was arguably one of the most unique IPs of the current generation(floaty controls aside), allowing gamers to create their own worlds, literally. Sackboy also contributes to the gameplay with his various creator tools and creations.

[b]14: Dante[/b]
The main character of Capcom's Devil Mary Cry series. Much like the Tekken series, it was exclusive to PlayStation consoles from the first entry in 2001, until Devil May Cry 4 came out in 2007. Much like God of War, it's considered one of the best action games of all time, and as such, Dante has earned his right as an All-Star... even if I personally don't think he's one. While his design is tha of DmC, that doesn't change his All-Star status.

[b]15: Raiden[/b]
The main character of Metal Gear Solid 2, a side character in Metal Gear Solid 4, and the main character of Metal Gear Revengeance. Metal Gear Solid is a series associated with PlayStation to be sure, but the number one character that you'd want to have from that series would be Solid Snake. I imagine, due to his inclusion in Smash Bros, Sony and Konami wanted a different character that just so happens to advertise their upcoming game. Raiden looks to be a high-tier character, so he will no doubt add to the gameplay, but isn't much of a PlayStation All-Star... certainly not as much of one as Solid Snake.

PlayStation All-Star? No

[b]16: Nariko[/b]
The main character of Heavenly Sword, a PS3 exclusive introduced early in the PS3's lifespan. The game itself is nothing special, basically just God of War but with a woman. She, however, contributes to the game significantly, not only as a female character, but from a gameplay perspective she looks to be high tier, and is the favorite of several of the Superbot developers.

[b]17: Sir Daniel Fortesque[/b]
The main character of the MediEvil series, which was introduced on the PS1 and is considered a cult classic. The character himself is very memorable, and it looks like he will contribute to the gameplay by being a "heavy" character, which was needed. Mumble.

[b]18: Nathan Drake[/b]
The main character of the Uncharted series, also developers by Naughty Dog. The Uncharted series was nothing special, let's be honest here; It was the pioneer of "cinematic gameplay"... or as true gamers call it, "interactive movies". The Uncharted series has spawned many look-alikes and me-too games and sequels(Even Tomb Raider is copying Uncharted... ironic, yes?). He doesn't even seem like he'll be a good contribution to the gameplay, either. If anything, it looks like they struggled to develop a decent moveset for the generic protagonist.

PlayStation All-Star? No

[b]19: Big Daddy[/b]
The main villain of the original Bioshock and its sequel, which was exclusive to the Xbox when introduced in 2007, and did not appear on a PlayStation console until 2008... that says it all. From a gameplay perspective, Big Daddy does look fun, and is another heavy character to complement Sir Daniel. Big Daddy is not a PlayStation All-Star, but at the same time he is also only one character, so he's not as bad of a choice as, say, Evil Cole.

PlayStation All-Star? No, but in this case I think it's acceptable. He's more of a video game All-Star, and represents the "multiplatform" side of PlayStation.

Now, for characters that SHOULD have been in the initial roster, or perferably taking the place of Radec, Evil Cole, or even Big Daddy.

[b]Crash Bandicoot[/b]
The main character of the series of the same name. Crash Bandicoot debut on the PSOne in 1996, and was creative for its time; In many ways it was better than Super Mario 64, even, and is often considered the Super Mario 64 of the PlayStation. The success of the first game would spawn a couple of sequels, with Warped generally regarded as the best of the trilogy, as well as PlayStation's strongest racing game: Crash Team Racing. From 1996 until 2002, Crash Bandicoot was considered the mascot of PlayStation, and even appeared in commercials alongside first-party characters like PaRappa and a Pipo Ape.
Just because his games haven't been as great as the PS1 days, doesn't diminish his value as a character.

[b]Spyro The Dragon[/b]
The main character of the series of the same name. Often considered a sister series to Crash Bandicoot, Spyro wa sanother great platformer IP for the PlayStation, but it was never as successful as Crash Bandicoot(Partially due to it being introduced two years after the original Crash Bandicoot title). Even so, Crash & Spyro were to PS1 what Ratchet, Jak, and Sly were to the PS2. You can have Crash without Spyro, but it would be strange.

[b]Lara Croft[/b]
The main protagonist of the infamous Tomb Raider series. Now, I'm not a fan of the series, but I can acknowledge that Lara would be a great character addition. I'd even go as far to say that she should replace Nathan Drake. Would have been the third female character, which would be on-par with Smash Bros, which leads me to...

[b]Kat[/b]
The main protagonist of Gravity Rush. Her addition, to me, would be the same as Nariko(For the most part). She's a female character, and has great moveset potential. That's really all a character should need; She also represents the portable side of PlayStation, which is still in its infancy compared to the console side.

[b]Lammy[/b]
Yet another female character! She's the main character of UmJammer Lammy, which was a spin-off of PaRappa the Rapper. Technically not part of the same series, but is often considered as such. Moveset-wise, her guitar could do some wacky s*** in her game, so yeah.

[b]Dr. Nefarious[/b]
Considered the main villain of the Ratchet & Clank series. Hey, if InFamous of all series can get two characters, then so can Ratchet & Clank. Also;

LAWREEEEEEENNN-Oh, Janice!

<b>Cloud Strife</b>
The main protagonist of Final Fantasy VII. Now, while it's often considered one of the best Final Fantasy games, it actually held quite a bit of significance for the PlayStation brand, as well as JRPGs in general. Final Fantasy VII is also one of the best-selling PlayStation games, right up there with Crash Bandicoot games and stuff like Gran Turismo.

Other suggestions include;

[b]Replace Raiden with Solid Snake or Big Boss[/b]
[b]Have the two Coles share the same roster slot; Put one of my suggested characters in the new empty spot[/b]
[b]Replace either Big Daddy or Radec with another of my suggestions[/b]

Total: 25(26) characters; Also, FIVE female characters, **bleep**.

Message 1 of 72 (704 Views)
Fender Bender
2718 posts

Re: ChronoCactaur's Roster Analysis

Oct 8, 2012
would be ok but the "playstation all star?" thing seems dumb. whats the point in it? its an opinion.
ハマり度MAX!!
Message 2 of 72 (693 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 8, 2012

Message 3 of 72 (688 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
521 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 8, 2012

Raiden and Toro are DEFINENTLY a yes!!! Raiden was a protagonist in one of the most revered games of last generation, he also belongs to one of the most revered franchises ever! And Toro is the friggin spokesperson for Sony in Japan! Automatic YES!

Heihachi is a maybe, simply because he is on many other platforms, but I still think he deserves to be in this game.

Cole is also a yes, simply because InFamous is an extremely popular IP and Cole as a character and name/face is well, InFamous.

And Nathan Drake is without a doubt 100% YES!!! I feel like smacking you in the face for not even putting maybe, let alone yes.

Message 4 of 72 (683 Views)
Wastelander
745 posts

Oct 8, 2012
I facepalmed at your comments about Drake and Cole

LUDICROUS_BANANA STRIKES AGAIN!

Fadi is the greatest sig creator within 1 mile
Message 5 of 72 (667 Views)
Wastelander
804 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 8, 2012

Well honestly, I agree with all your reasons except for Nathan Drake and Cole. You can have my kudos this time...

Abe for All-Stars!!!
Message 6 of 72 (660 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Oct 8, 2012
Nathan Drake not an all star? Are you **bleep** kidding me?
Message 7 of 72 (649 Views)
Highlighted
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Oct 8, 2012
Am I dreaming or did you just say Nathan Drake shouldn't be an all-star?
Message 8 of 72 (634 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1424 posts

Oct 8, 2012
No to Drake!?.. you sir are insane!
 photo IsaacSig_zps95a635ae.png
Message 9 of 72 (619 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
756 posts

Oct 8, 2012

For me I would make these changes:

Fat Princess: No

Cole: Yes (Definitely not maybe)

Radec: Yes

Toro: HECK YES (He's literally Sony's mascot by now)

Nathan Drake: HECK YES (How can you even think he's a no)

Dante: Yes Don't try to ignore it 

Dino: NO (Don't make him Dante, this is Dino and Dino is no)

Big Daddy: NOPE (I don't care if he's a port. Every gamer sees him as a MS character. No matter who you try to explain him to they will always see him as the launch game for the 360)

Message 10 of 72 (617 Views)
0 Likes