Uncharted Territory
1735 posts

Re: Block needs a stun meter with regeneration.

Jan 22, 2013

By the way, I've noticed ALOT of turtling as well. It's gay as **bleep**

Message 11 of 22 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Jan 22, 2013

Complaining about blocking/turtling? Do you realize if that was implemented (the guard/stun) Kratos' and Raidens and Narikos would DOMINATE (especially up+square Kratos). It would be unfair to those who can do only one hit at a time (BD, Jak) to break it effectively.

Also you all should know by now that this is centered like a game of rock/paper/scissors...

Grabbing beats Block/Evades

Block/Evades beat Attacking

Attacking beats Grabbing

If they're turtling too much: GRAB. If they're grabbing too much: ATTACK. If they're attacking too much: BLOCK/EVADE. It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp, blocking is easily beatable, you just gotta stop focusing on pure attacking.

Also for those complaining about evading/dodging being grabble, it's to prevent those who spam evading/blocking constantly. It's all mind games: Is your opponent going to attack or grab or block/dodge? You just have to respond accordingly. FIghting games are just an advance action-packed variable version of rock/paper/scissors.

So no, blocks don't need stun meter with regeneration.

~GL

#PrincessPowerhouse
#PrincessPowerhouse
Message 12 of 22 (149 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
350 posts

Jan 22, 2013

GameLink7 wrote:

Complaining about blocking/turtling? Do you realize if that was implemented (the guard/stun) Kratos' and Raidens and Narikos would DOMINATE (especially up+square Kratos). It would be unfair to those who can do only one hit at a time (BD, Jak) to break it effectively.

Also you all should know by now that this is centered like a game of rock/paper/scissors...

Attacking beats Grabbing

If they're turtling too much: GRAB. If they're grabbing too much: ATTACK. If they're attacking too much: BLOCK/EVADE. It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp, blocking is easily beatable, you just gotta stop focusing on pure attacking.

Also for those complaining about evading/dodging being grabble, it's to prevent those who spam evading/blocking constantly. It's all mind games: Is your opponent going to attack or grab or block/dodge? You just have to respond accordingly. FIghting games are just an advance action-packed variable version of rock/paper/scissors.

~GL

That was an awesome post and advice. So true..

Jozai custom made signature photo jozaigoodcolesignature_zps1ca25a9d.gif
Message 13 of 22 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2013

GameLink7 wrote:

Attacking beats Grabbing

~GL

"It would be unfair to those who can do only one hit at a time (BD, Jak) to break it effectively."

It doesn't matter if a character hit the character guarding or not.  By holding guard the guard meter decreases and then slowly regenerates.  Since characters are so different in this game, a per damage only guard meter would be worse.  So the guard meter from Super Smash Bros would be best.  The guard meter in Smash Bros is a combination of timed and per damage.

Also.  Jak can only do one hit at a time?  Could have fooled me.  He also has one of the most useful guard breaks in the game that can start off a combo.

"Also you all should know by now that this is centered like a game of rock/paper/scissors...

Attacking beats Grabbing"

Isn't this, you know, all fighting games?  The reason that it fails in Playstation All Stars is that grabbing is literally the only thing that beats a block(other than the very few guard breaks.)  Characters have the ability to duck, but it's not based on blocking high or low.  If Parappa could do a slide kick and hit someone that wasn't ducking in order to guard it, it would add more to the game.  Because if you came in with one attack being blocked and they didn't counter, and you did the slide afterwards, the enemy would get tagged with a low hit.  Like a conventional fighter, and you can't deny what this is what Playstation All Stars is trying so hard to be. 

If this was closer to a conventional fighter, a Sweet Tooth that attacks with his air neutral square and is blocked, could have multiple choices but I'll use two, up square against the still guarding opponent or the slower down square.  Now if the opponent stays blocking high, the down square would hit him and stun him, if he ducked to guard low, up square would hit him allowing him to still combo off that.  Sweet Tooth's combos and hit confirm comes from the air neutral square, so guarding while he's trying to use that kills any chance for Sweet Tooth to do much other than repeated air down triangle.  Since high and low attacks are not a part of this game and all attacks can be guarded as the same, a stun meter would give Sweet Tooth a chance. 

As for grabbing, you literally have to be on the enemy players nutsack to grab.  I've never once been grabbed when playing as Jak, and I almost never get grabbed when playing as most characters.  The fact that you literally have to be right up on your opponent to grab them(aside from Ratchet,) means that if I was turtling I'd have a better chance at either comboing you or grabbing you rather than the other way around.  If you're a melee character then you have to come to me.  Standing still going into a grab is faster than moving going into a grab.  Just to let you know.

Turtling is also much more than guard.  Again, the roll and its invincibility frames help with that.  If the enemy attacks right outside of your range then they still have a recovery time that you can roll and counter attack with. 

The responses from some of you are just your bland "but you can grab, but there's guard break, but there's this, that, etc."  Do you really think that someone  who brings up an argument about someone turtling means that they're going to just sit at the same location and not counter attack, not roll into one of your longer recovery time attacks, not grab when you go up there to grab? 

I'll give you people an example maybe you can understand.  It's similar to camping in Call of Duty.  If you happen to go into a room and see the person camping, you have less of a reaction time to kill him before he kills you.  You have to take into consideration that this camper probably has all sides protected in some way that you can't just come behind him and get a kill(maybe there is no back way,) even when he does kill you he might pick up his equipment, replace it at another location, and then kill you when you come back to the same spot thinking he's camping in the same spot where he might wait for you in a different spot that you don't expect it.  Then since he got two kills there from the same person or people, he packs up and moves to another completely different location.

There's not just one way to do things.  A camper who sits at one location more than likely isn't going to overstay his welcome at one location.  He's going to move around, whether it's a different spot in the same location, etc.  Same with a turtle.  They're not going to just sit there and let you grab them or attack them, etc.  They're going to notice your reaction and counter attack based on that. 

Message 14 of 22 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1735 posts

Jan 23, 2013

GameLink7 wrote:

Attacking beats Grabbing

~GL

Try running up and grabbing a turtling cole when he has his Lv 1 super. 10 times out of 10, the second you get close enough to grab, he will use it which take about .10 second to activate. And when he has space between you and him, he will spam that lightning bolt thing that gets him an AP boost

Message 15 of 22 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5075 posts

Jan 23, 2013
Good way to break a blocker is just throw them.

Message 16 of 22 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
273 posts

Jan 23, 2013
lol i never use block. learn to use evade more.
for players that block a lot, just grab them and send them flying. they will stop blocking after a few throws.

if you want to nerf block, then what about sly?
ade you suggesting his invisibility has a meter as well?

lets fix one issue at a time and figure out a solution for rage quitters.
Message 17 of 22 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Jan 23, 2013
I have an idea!

They should have shields that look like bubbles that slowly decrease, and can be broken so they get stunned, but eventually build back up again!

Oh wait. This isn't Smash Brothers.

You honestly in other terms described Smash Brother's system with just another meter that would be difficult and annoying to watch. This game just fights differently, you don't HAVE to approach a Turtle. If they never attack that's fine, you'll win.
Message 18 of 22 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1785 posts

Jan 23, 2013
I noticed this too that's why I jump at them, wait for them to attack so I can dodge it, then they'll block thinking I'm going to attack but NOPE I go for a grab, it's worked everytime for me when it comes to people who block a lot, this especially benifits me as Big Daddy since you can combo after a down grab.After the second or third time I grab them from that then it's safe to start attacking because they'll expect you to grab them again so they'll try to attack you instead of blocking and you can just dodge that attack and start beating up on them.

This also works really well against people who spam parries and of course if you have a quick close range super on standby you can go for that instead of grabbing or attacking.
Message 19 of 22 (76 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Jan 23, 2013
Turtling sucks but just grab or chip ap off them. Spot Dodge would be nice to have as well but thats coming from someone who played brawl alot. Most of the time i just tea bag till they get annoydd enough to attack me
Message 20 of 22 (73 Views)
0 Likes