First Son
24 posts

Re: Block needs a stun meter with regeneration.

Jan 23, 2013

YES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD YES!  Sly should not be allowed to be invisible the whole time!  Or use lvl 1 while invisible..

Message 21 of 22 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Re: Block needs a stun meter with regeneration.

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2013

Quoting Legend:

Italics are GameLink7's quoted quotes

Bold are kupomogli's quotes
Regular are my (GameLink7) responses to the bolded quote

---

"Also you all should know by now that this is centered like a game of rock/paper/scissors...

Grabbing beats Block/Evades

Block/Evades beat Attacking

Attacking beats Grabbing"

Isn't this, you know, all fighting games?  The reason that it fails in Playstation All Stars is that grabbing is literally the only thing that beats a block(other than the very few guard breaks.)  Characters have the ability to duck, but it's not based on blocking high or low.  If Parappa could do a slide kick and hit someone that wasn't ducking in order to guard it, it would add more to the game.  Because if you came in with one attack being blocked and they didn't counter, and you did the slide afterwards, the enemy would get tagged with a low hit.  Like a conventional fighter, and you can't deny what this is what Playstation All Stars is trying so hard to be.

Yes it is, and I was gonna put that =D But unlike standard fighting games, this is PSASBR, a party fighter (a mix between mechanics that of party brawlers like Smash and fighting games like MvC). It's meant to be casual friendly, with a comptetive edge and a not-so-deep combo system. PSASBR is trying to be it's own thing with the help of other games' sucessful forumlas without being a straightout copy. And while some don't realize it, it ACTUALLY accomplished it's goal: It attracted (not a lot) but still Smash-type players and Fighter-type players alike. ANYWAYS, to that first point, unlike Fighting Games, the Rock/Paper/Scissors thing is more straightforward than most. It's simple, yet complex. It's like Smash, but not Smash. It's also like a fighting game, but not a fighting game. It's not Smash, it's not a fighting game: This is PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

-

Also.  Jak can only do one hit at a time?  Could have fooled me.  He also has one of the most useful guard breaks in the game that can start off a combo.

Jak does multiple hits, but not like lengthy combo/multi hits most other have. But (PERSONALLY) most Jaks I've played don't multi-hit or combo much. (Just air burst or that bouncing attack)

-

It doesn't matter if a character hit the character guarding or not.  By holding guard the guard meter decreases and then slowly regenerates.  Since characters are so different in this game, a per damage only guard meter would be worse.  So the guard meter from Super Smash Bros would be best.  The guard meter in Smash Bros is a combination of timed and per damage.

Timed + Damage again wouldn't work as planned, becuase it makes those who have long combo strings (not nessicarily strong) can then outwait the blocking since you're going to be stunned from blocking anyways, therefore making blocking more of a disadvantage then an advantage (and making Raiden, Nariko, and Sly players rejoice to no end).

-

As for grabbing, you literally have to be on the enemy players nutsack to grab.  I've never once been grabbed when playing as Jak, and I almost never get grabbed when playing as most characters.  The fact that you literally have to be right up on your opponent to grab them(aside from Ratchet,) means that if I was turtling I'd have a better chance at either comboing you or grabbing you rather than the other way around.  If you're a melee character then you have to come to me.  Standing still going into a grab is faster than moving going into a grab.  Just to let you know.

Grabbing has a big box, and is right up the alley for melee players. If you're playing as Jak, of course he's not going to get grabbed, since I think his main forte is medium to long range attacking. If you're playing as a melee player, a nice strategy to bait a block is to come at them with an air attack, if they block it, you can land into a grab since they're still focused on the block. If you're trying to do this as a ranged player, you might not have as good of luck. If you're a ranged player and having trouble with turtling, you more than likely have the advantage: chip them out, you still get AP and they're more than likely not going to do anything to you since they're blocking from afar.

-

The responses from some of you are just your bland "but you can grab, but there's guard break, but there's this, that, etc."  Do you really think that someone  who brings up an argument about someone turtling means that they're going to just sit at the same location and not counter attack, not roll into one of your longer recovery time attacks, not grab when you go up there to grab?

Yes, because obviously they're just turtling as of what you said.

-

I'll give you people an example maybe you can understand.  It's similar to camping in Call of Duty.  If you happen to go into a room and see the person camping, you have less of a reaction time to kill him before he kills you.  You have to take into consideration that this camper probably has all sides protected in some way that you can't just come behind him and get a kill(maybe there is no back way,) even when he does kill you he might pick up his equipment, replace it at another location, and then kill you when you come back to the same spot thinking he's camping in the same spot where he might wait for you in a different spot that you don't expect it.  Then since he got two kills there from the same person or people, he packs up and moves to another completely different location.

There's not just one way to do things.  A camper who sits at one location more than likely isn't going to overstay his welcome at one location.  He's going to move around, whether it's a different spot in the same location, etc.  Same with a turtle.  They're not going to just sit there and let you grab them or attack them, etc.  They're going to notice your reaction and counter attack based on that.

Yep, but that's different to blocking/turtling in PSASBR. What's the problem with blocking? You're STILL rewarded AP, they're more than likely staying in one location... obviously you and the L1 button have issues. It's part of tactics, it's EASILY countered, so I really just think that you're whining about not changing your playstyle so the game has to change it the way YOU want it to play.

And if you're gonna bring up CoD: they've come up with tools to deal with campers especially nowadays, but knowledge of the maps really help to know where campers are. Plus Call of Duty gives you a minimap, perks, flash grenades, smoke grenades, and many other ways to deal with campers. And unless it's 1v1 or something, if there's a camper bothering you, they're probably bothering someone else too: either way, the camper is going to go down. If you keep on going with your shotgun or assult rifle with extra unlimited sprint and all mods to your first weapon, chances are you're probably gonna die. But have that backup class with a radar boost, extra armor, a few grenades here and there, and you got a chance to outsmart the camper.

The point of this message is: Don't be lazy and whine about it, modify your playstyle and DO something about it. (Because you can, while the shield thingy is a neat idea, it JUST won't work in this setting in the long run.)

~GL

#PrincessPowerhouse
#PrincessPowerhouse
Message 22 of 22 (72 Views)
0 Likes