Nov 11 2012
By: UnleashedMonkey Wastelander 682 posts

Best Approach to DLC is for this Game

[ Edited ]
14 replies 348 views Edited Nov 11, 2012

Like Harada, i think paid DLC characters in a fighting game is BS(although i think stages are alright). it ruins the balance of the game. however i do understand that it does cost money to make new characters and this is where my idea kicks in.

Characters should be free, however when they come out  they have no "cool" alt costumes; instead they only have color swaps. I’ll use cloud from FF7 as an example; Superbot releases cloud into the game via a patch or however they want and his alt costumes will only be 3 color swaps(enough for 4 people to play as cloud and not all look alike) it could be the original color, red, blue, and green. Heres where the $ comes in. now obviously people don’t want just color swaps so the money can be made by costumes instead. They could charge 1 to 2 dollars for each. Some alt costumes for cloud could be his advent children outfit, Kingdom Hearts and my personal favorite Zack Fair from crisis core

So what do you guys think?

COME ON, PRINNY FOR PASBR!!
Message 1 of 15 (348 Views)
Wastelander
682 posts

Re: Best Approach to DLC is for this Game

Nov 11, 2012
bump.

Message 2 of 15 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1582 posts

Nov 11, 2012
I like this, and I think it is a great idea. Oh also, I like your potential Cloud costumes!!!
Message 3 of 15 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2571 posts

Nov 11, 2012

Cloud's original colors are blue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 15 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
682 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 11, 2012

thanks Smiley Happy now if only more people would come in and give their opinion as well. id like to read what others think before i gotta go and study for my midterm.

@ninja, well then one can be white. you get what i mean Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 15 (302 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1001 posts

Nov 11, 2012

I like the idea of everything but characters costing money. More characters alone will sell more copies of the game, paying some of the cost of the character. Then costumes and stages and everything else can be paid for. Stages, costumes and stuff won't be stuff that sell copies, and are largely secondary to the game. These could sell a bit and people won't care as much that they are priced and will still buy them (I know I will)

Message 6 of 15 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
596 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 11, 2012

I agree that all chracters should be free, but the whole charging for costume thing won't happen. Seth Killian alread said that each DLC character will come with all of the same things as the characters on disc.

How I think DLC should work is that all new characters and stages get added as Content Patches, and then Superbot has EXTRA alternate costumes, icons, minons, outros and all of those extra things as paid DLC. So no one gets alienated from the new content, but superbot can still make some revenue post-launch.

Just my opinion though.

Message 7 of 15 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2516 posts

Nov 11, 2012

All characters will have an unlockable costume and whole unlockable entourage of content. Including DLC.

Personally I just want them to do my Holiday Themes idea.

Message 8 of 15 (273 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1173 posts

Nov 11, 2012

UnleashedMonkey wrote:

Like Harada, i think paid DLC characters in a fighting game is BS(although i think stages are alright).

That's because they're optional.

The King of Fighters XIII - Optional, they aren't really DLC Fighters. Just DLC Movesets for Players who prefer those.

Super Street Fighter IV AE DLC - Optional, you either want the $15 of four chars or not. Never bought it.

Street Fighter x Tekken DLC 12 Fighters - I won't go against this one. Cause they hold them off for more money (Disc).

Marvel vs. Capcom 3/UMvC3 - Optional, they're just two chars. Bought Shuma & never bought Jill.

Mortal Kombat 2011 - Optional & after release, they worked on them. Bought Kenshi & plan to buy Rain/Freddy K.

Harada is against Paid DLC Chars. That's cool right? Yeah, better than buying characters. Does that mean EVERY Developer has to follow what Harada does? Not really, he just didn't want Chars (& Stages) as Paid DLC but others were fine for him as Paid DLC which wouldn't matter to a big audience like DLC Chars which were Music, Endings, etc.

It's fine if PS All-Stars have Paid DLC Chars. Don't like that character? Don't pay for it. Are you forced to buy it? No. Are you forced to buy it for a bigger roster than 20 chars? No, but I know that people bought Jill & Shuma for a bigger roster.

I don't think it would be fair if Costumes were going to the routine of being paid. Capcom's been doing it with SFIV, SSFIV, SSFIV:AE, MvC3/UMvC3, and even SFxTK. They can make them free but they know they'll rack up some money by making them Paid DLC. And yet, never bought any packs, it took Capcom so long to finally not release them in just packs but as individual in SFxTK, in which I only bought a few.

Optional. I know there's a character that lots of people want as DLC. No interest & wouldn't buy it because it's optional.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GameAtHeart's Average Gaming & Entertainment Channel
Message 9 of 15 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2516 posts

Nov 11, 2012

They screwed up bad when it came to SFxT though. I did the math; 250 bucks of on-disc stuff.

Message 10 of 15 (256 Views)
0 Likes