Mar 14 2013
By: myaman Lombax Warrior 102 posts

Attaks on whiff

9 replies 162 views Edited Mar 14, 2013

You know how lots of people (sometimes including myself) say that Kratos' square attacks have too short of a recovery time on whiff? Well, I've noticed that multiple characters have attacks like that. It's a little different from Kratos in some situations, but let me explain how it works.

Almost every match I've dodged an attack with what seems like the timing that SuperBot intended it to be and I've gotten hit trying to hit them. Here's what I think usually happens in most fighting games. You dodge an opponent's attack, then you attack while the opponent's vulnerable during their whiff animation.

That's what I expect to see in a fighting game because it makes strategical sheilding and dodging more usefull. Instead, I dodge and then get hit.

I think the reason for that is that when a character uses a combo, a missed attack doesn't make them vulnerable because if they use an attack that links into their missed attack there's not any time for someone else to do a head on attack. The logical solution to this seems to be dodging behind someone then attacking them. I've tried that, but my opponent always manages to turn their combo around and hit me. That kind of ruins sheilding and dodging.

Here's my idea for a change in the fighting mechanics. What if attacks and combos were a little like Dante's? I'm not saying everyone should be like Dante in ways that many people think makes him a poor fighter, I'm saying that there are some parts of the way Dante fights that could make fighting less about "who's got the faster attacks on whiff" to "Everyone's attacks are just fine."

If Dante does his standard square combo and some one dodges him, he either has to cancel out of it, which doesn't happen often, or he has to stop attacking and face the other direction, sheild, or dodge. The only problem with the second option around as Dante is that a missed attack leaves him WIDE OPEN because his attacks have quite a whiff on them if they miss. Some players think his attacks' start-ups and whiffs should be shorter because the other characters' attacks are faster on start-up and whiff, but I think that if every character had a reasonable whiff that leaves them open enough for their opponent to attack them if they dodged their attack then this game's fighting mechanics would seem more balanced to the players who think that the current fighting mechanics aren't balanced.

What do you guys think about all of the characters having equal and reasonable whiffs on missed attacks?

NOTE: Please provide a logical and well represented reason you think that "the mechanics are fine."

Scott Pilgrim for Playstation All Stars Battle Royale!
Message 1 of 10 (162 Views)
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Re: Attaks on whiff

Mar 14, 2013

A whiff is another word for stench. What do you mean by whiff?

Message 2 of 10 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

Mar 14, 2013
SuperBot said when they nerfed Kratos' side square that they made it longer on whiff. It seems that in fighting games that whiff (which I know means stench) can also mean an attack's missing animation. Does it mean that? I've seen others use it that way and SuperBot also. so I assume that's what it means.
Message 3 of 10 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9962 posts

Mar 14, 2013
Whiff is fighting game lingo for an attack that misses or gets blocked.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 4 of 10 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

Mar 14, 2013

nasrulez wrote:

What he said XD

Message 5 of 10 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1696 posts

Mar 14, 2013
no thanks, everyone would be too reluctant to attack, it would just be a block fest
"Say Pam, ever hung from a ceiling fan while your partner sat on a paint mixer"
 photo lordvv-1.gifVegeta GIF photo vegeta.gif
Message 6 of 10 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

Mar 14, 2013
@Arrownoir

That's a good point. It would make people shield and dodge a lot, but I believe there exists a perfect amount of time for whiff animations that could solve the problems of players (including myself) feeling there's a slight unbalance between the characters and their attack whiffs.

Look at Kratos' side square, after it was nerfed, people can now dodge and/or block it and punish that attack. People don't always block or evade it, but at least it's reasonably punishable. I think that could be achieved for all of the characters and their attacks.
Message 7 of 10 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
726 posts

Mar 14, 2013

nasrulez wrote:

Close, whiff is missing completely while blocked is just . . . blocked.

1/6/2013 - Defeated the #1 player in the World in a Ranked Match.

Currently maining: Parappa

Future mains: Zeus, Issac
Message 8 of 10 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Mar 14, 2013
Whiff generally means failing, missing, being unsuccessful, etc...If you whiff a shot in golf, it means you messed up. Whiff an attack in Allstars, it means you missed/were blocked.
Message 9 of 10 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
726 posts

Mar 15, 2013
in the strategy guide it sayes

whiff - "Another term for when an attack fails to connect with an opponent."

Blocking would be connecting, right? Excuse me on this though, as I realize I might be being a bit petty at this point.

1/6/2013 - Defeated the #1 player in the World in a Ranked Match.

Currently maining: Parappa

Future mains: Zeus, Issac
Message 10 of 10 (83 Views)
0 Likes