Survivor
2388 posts

Re: Anyone think this game will turn out bad or just average?

Jun 13, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO97hczC3HQ Heres a video of 2 professional fighting game players loving PS Allstars.

Message 11 of 23 (21 Views)
Splicer
56 posts

Jun 13, 2012

CrimsonSteer wrote:

Ive played just about every fighting game available from old arcade Street Fighter, DragonBallZ on GBA and Mortal Kombat all the way up to Soul Caliber on xbox, SSBB and Street Fighter on PS but this concept of finishers only really astounds me. From my perspective the re-playability, as it stands is quite low IN MY OPINION. In fighting games people like to combo in various ways and kill people with their entire arsenal of moves however PASBR is limiting people to 3 KOs.

The Ap System works, you just dont understand it. There are a whole "arsenal of moves" that you can use to build up your meter. If you throw your opponent they lose meter. Some characters such as Sly Cooper, can steal meter.There are also items that allow you to knock meter out of opponents. If you've been following the details of the game you probably have noticed that the characters shown thus far have a very diverse fighting style. This probably is what will get stale to you?

Again, IN MY OPINION, I dont see how this could work competitively given that AP Meter doesnt reset if you die and there is generally no reason combo at all. Hit with your fastest move, generate AP, kill. This game is trying to be Mortal Kombat and SSB whilst simulatenously trying not to be. The explanation: SSB because of the obvious game design, the moveset system and the item system. Mortal Kombat because the Super system is obviously a FATALITY system whereby you need to aim the super. The PROBLEM with this AP system is that you arent actually whittling down your opponent but building a meter. Many fighting game veterans are going to dislike this unnatural fighting system given that situational awareness and positioning isnt as detrimental as it is in Street Fighter (at low health) or SSB (at high percentages).

Ive seen all the available characters level 3 supers. Your opponents are basically dead the moment it happens. No strategy to level 3 supers at all, hit button and kill.

Nevertheless, I will be buying this game. They may have changed something or it may work and all my skepticism could be wrong.

You seem to be under the impression that your fastest move gains the most AP and that people are going to stand still and let you do these things. I dont think that the word super is best used to described two of the three types of kills in this game. I think people should think about it as earning your kills. Level 3 supers are expected to at least get 3 kills, if this wasn't the case no one would waste their time getting one. However getting more than 3 kills is where the skillful play comes in. Many fighting game fans support this system. The game will also be playable at EVO this year. Their are plenty of competitive developers on Superbot's team. They've said many times that this game is intentended to be simple enough for newcomers but also deep for competitive play. The level 1 super is just a normal attack that is deadly, the level 2 either has a wider area of effect or is controlable and able to kill more than one enemy. Many fighting game veterans were unsure of SSB's "unnatural" system before they knew the details and thought about it.

You are going to be aware the situation because each chracter has different methods that they specialize killing with. Im sure this make you want to pay attention to how close you are to your enemy and how you got about attacking.

Edit:
In SSB you dont not lose health you just are able to be knocked further and faster. The consequence of this is that you theoretically might be closer to death, but this is not the case because you could locate yourself in a tight corridor and bounce around. In Playstation All stars your are brought closer to death because your attacker is either increasing his probability of killing you or gaiing the ability. 

Message 12 of 23 (21 Views)
Survivor
2388 posts

Jun 13, 2012

Couldnt have said it better myself

Message 13 of 23 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Jun 13, 2012

The problem isn't only not knowing everything about it, it's the fact that I'm looking at this from a consumer and critc level. I'm looking at the replayablity, the game play, etc. Of course once they do so more footage and actually some more in depth interviews I will have less skeptism, but until then I will have doubt and faith.

Also to everyone saying that the developlers care and show that they care in their interviews, they of course are going to do that your not going to sell something with a bad presentation, but something good. This may not imply for this particular company, but still that can't be a ligitment reason all the time.

Message 14 of 23 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Jun 13, 2012

xTao, I disagree. Albeit that you have 24~ moves to deal damage youre limited to just 3 to KO. I watched gameplay of Big Daddy and his downward drill gained large amounts of AP. I understand that this game is still in development but that isnt tactical at all. People want to kill enemies with EVERYTHING theyve got, not just 3 moves. In SSBB you can kill by off-stage spiking which required skill, in this lvl 3 supers are about as difficult to land as basic attacks. In competitive play items are ALWAYS turned off because theyre based entirely on getting to the item first which depends on who it spawned closer to.

In addition, level 3 supers that are designed to kill more than 1 person is not competitive at all. Referring back to Big Daddy's level 3. Watch a video (yes i understand he is still in development), his level 3 super flooded the stage where he moved faster whilst his opponents moved at NEAR paralysis. He then executed 3 people TWICE because they spawned faster than his supers duration. In a stock match this is 2 lives lost. This is given the fact that his downward drill gains LARGE amounts of super very quickly. Level 3s EXPECTING to gain 3 kills is not at all competitive. Press button to get 3 kills?

SSB was developed as a means of replacing health. Instead of dying when you reach 0 you become more KO-able. This is basically the old WWE games that were stamina based. Smash the enemy, the more you hit him the less chance he has of standing back up during a countdown except in the case of SSB its smash the enemy, the higher he is the less chance he has of recovering from a fatal blow. SSB is NOT as revolutionary as you think.

Regarding the video, I wouldnt go as much as saying they love it. They played 2 games on a new fight system and being in front of the dev you wouldnt blatantly say 'ow man this game design is horrible'. Ive played many fighting games and I can tell you that its unnatural hitting someone but not seeing any visual side-effect (losing health) besides being knocked away. When I play demos to games of new design Im generally in awe because its a new game and Im not sure how I won, then when I play the game I think to myself.... ow...so this is okay I guess.

As I mentioned before, its a fighting game so i will be purchasing it regardless.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ly1nxj.jpg
Message 15 of 23 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Jun 13, 2012

Thanks for the video I didn't see this footage before. This actually helps me see more of where the game is going and it's starting to look better.

Message 16 of 23 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2388 posts

Jun 13, 2012

Their reaction seemed pretty genuine to me. They may not love it but they did enjoy themselves, and if professionals are reacting like that than run of the mill gamers should get excited.

Message 17 of 23 (21 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Jun 13, 2012

I see great potential in this game, the point system may seems dull but when I saw the gameplay on E3 I was hooked, they handled it pretty well

So far I like the mixed stages, and about the story, I wouldn't expect something very deep xD is more about the fun and mindless violence IMAO

Message 18 of 23 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Jun 13, 2012

Characters are still being balanced, they said they are still in the pre-alpha stage of development and unlie other games in this genere this game can be balanced by patches if necessary. BigDaddy seems to be more of a tank hes slow not as controllable but can do more damage(in this case take more AP) but is more easily evaded. Also, players can move faster by moving up in down most people wer trying to go left and right. By attaining a level 3 super in time matches you have sacrificed time you potentially could have used to get more kills using lower level supers if used effectively instead of the guarantee of 3 kills.

SSB was composed with ideas of sumo wrestling and gladiator fighting, I dont think SSB is that original btw I'm aware of the game that influenced it. This game is more like football in which you have to be aware of time, likelihood of scoring, the most efficient way of scoring for your team(using your chracter's combination of moves to get the super of your choice)and deciding which super is the best to help win the game(Comparable to choosing fieldgoals or touchdowns, three pointers or 2 pointers). I think you were only looking at the depth in the potential ways to kills than the whole gameplay aspect. This allow for some tactical skill for higher level players.

Message 19 of 23 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2388 posts

Jun 13, 2012

you should work for Superbot lol. You do a better job explaining the nuance of the system than they do

Message 20 of 23 (21 Views)
0 Likes