Jun 06 2012
By: xTao Splicer 56 posts

An Idea

12 replies 142 views Edited Jun 6, 2012

I have an idea of a system that could be implemented to add a more strategic element to this game.

This system I call the exhaustion system, which are basically two effects that happen to characters depending on damage.

The first effect I was thinking of was if a person gets caught in a long combo he will staggered temporarily to allow for a greater chance of being KO'd.

For example in a 2 v 2 match players could cooordinate combos to stagger the other teams players in close proximity of eachother sothey can get 2 kills using a level 1 super.

The second effect is that after a player recieves a certain amount of damage he will either move slower or stop temporarily to catch his breath. The latter idea I am unsure about because of the negative feedback a certain other game got for adding tripping.

The difference is that in this case is that there is a legitimate reason as to why your character might pause for a moment. I think a system like this would add a more suspenseful and unpredictable feel to the game that a "certain other game" has as well as provide a solid reason to not get hit while still utilizing the unique gameplay system this game has to offer. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 13 (142 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Re: An Idea

Jun 6, 2012

I like the idea very well thought out.  I'd like to also add a way to counter or Defend against Supers . For a cost of your own Super Meter ofcourse. For example Your opponent activates Super 1  You activate counter and it depletes your Super meter to defend and the result is you stay alive.

It gives you a way to defend against the stagger combo you describe if you have enough energy on your super meter to counter.

The Counter Mechanics working as Meter vs Meter.  So a Lvl 2 Super  could be countered if your opponent has 2 meters to defend with.

Adds more strategic elements to the game in my opinion.

anyway good post man

Message 2 of 13 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1779 posts

Jun 6, 2012

I think that could be very problematic, considering this game is much more combo-oriented than the "certain other game" you mentioned. Combos are this game's bread and butter, so if your opponent is slowed down every time you build up combos on him, that would always result in an easy level 1 super kill. If your opponent gets slowed down every time you build up combos, players will just do heavy combos to build up level 1 and use it for an easy level 1 kill (since opponents get staggered), and then rinse and repeat. They'll have no reason to go for a level 2 or level 3 super if a level 1 kill is pretty much guaranteed. Level 1 super kills will be far too easy to pull off, destroying the point of having a 3 level super system.

I also noticed how you implied that right now, players have very little reason to block, but they actually have plenty reason to block. If I just stand there and let my opponent hit me, not worrying about blocking, he will build up his super and earn himself points. By not blocking, I'm allowing my opponent to build up his super. By blocking, I prevent him from being able to build up his super. That's my incentive to defend myself.

Message 3 of 13 (142 Views)
Splicer
56 posts

Jun 6, 2012

I didn't say that the character should be slowed down do to just a few combos. I meant if the character accumulates a high level of damage then they will either be slowed down or will pause for moments to catch their breath or something to that effect.

Im aware of the incentives to block but this could add an additional defensive and stategic element to game play.

Message 4 of 13 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1779 posts

Jun 6, 2012

What would the point of your system be, then? To punish players who don't block and who take a lot of damage from other players? Battle Royale already accounts for that.

Players who don't block are already punished by not being able to accumulate as many points as their competitors. If you let yourself get hit, you're letting your opponents build up their super more quickly. Your system wouldn't really add any depth or "strategy" to that. It would just significantly slow the pace of the match towards the end. At the end of the match, everyone will have accumulated high level of damage (they've been fighting each other for the last 3 or so minute), so if everyone's moving slowly or pausing momentarily...the match would go from fast paced at the beginning to a snail's pace at the end, which isn't really a good thing in a fast paced game like this. Plus players who have been saving up their level 3 super for the end of the match will be at a very unfair disadvantage with your system, since they've been acquiring damage the entire match and therefore become much easier to kill.

It looks like your system would hurt the game's combat system more than help it....

Message 5 of 13 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Jun 6, 2012

on a positive note, however, i do think being able to counter someone's super by using your own super meter is a great idea.  They would just have to make the timing pretty tricky to pull off so that every time someone uses a super attack it doesn't get countered

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 13 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
4536 posts

Jun 6, 2012

Interesting ideas, but I think it would be far too close to the release date to implement this. Also, I don't believe it will work with the current gameplay mechanic that they are shooting for within the game.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 13 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Jun 6, 2012

No both of these effects would be removed after you die, it would not persist throughout the entire match.

The benefit of this system is that it adds an immediate visible reaction dealt to the player who gets hit.

PSASBR(Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale there needs to be acronyym  very soon) is basically a reversal of the smash bros system in a sense.

Think about super smash bros and the percentage system. The percentage system makes it so the more you get hit the further you can be potentially knocked out an killed. The logical opposite would be the more meter you build up the greater the odds you can be killed because you become slower.

My system would make it glaringly obvious who should be killed basically do to the concept of the fittest survival which this game currently lacks.

For instance in a 4 player free for all match if a level 2 super is activated it would add a sense of hey there is this guy who has been getting beat around but  has never been killed Im going to kill him because he will be easier because he cannot evade as quickly as the other guys. This is similar to the feeling in smash bros where there is that one guy who somehow managed to survive a long time in a stock match with an extremely high perentage by basically just avoiding as much as much as possible and jumping around. There is always a mutual feeling understood between the other 3 players that that guy has to die because he is basically cheating death in a sense. This would lead to players in a free for all match simply kill who ever is the most convenient rather than double teaming one player who hasn't been hit because it wouldn't be advantageous to do so.

So basically this system specifies who it would be advantageous to kill. The people who it would advantageous to kill would be the ones who sustained a very high amount of damage.

Message 8 of 13 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1779 posts

Jun 6, 2012

The purpose of your system completely fell apart when you used that example. It sounds very similar to Smash Bros: people who take tons of damage become easier to kill. The camping technique you described in Smash Bros happens because Smash Bros' fighting system doesn't reward players for fighting. It rewards them for surviving; in a stock match, you could just wait on the side and let the other 3 people fight and kill each other. Then, jump in and kill the only remaining person. You'll have the advantage because you'll still have all of your lives (since you haven't been fighting).

Battle Royale's fight system doesn't allow people to do that, because it rewards players who actually fight and punishes those who don't. If I wait on the side and just camp, waiting for the other 3 to die, I'll be at a huge disadvantage becaue I haven't been building up my super, so I can't get kills. The survivor of the little 3 match skirmish, even though he may be low on lives, will have some super built up, which he can use against me. Thus, camping doesn't work in Battle Royale, and your system would punish players who are actually fighting and successfully building up their super. That goes against the very nature of Battle Royale's fighting system. Therefore, it doesn't make sense for this game.

Message 9 of 13 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
208 posts

Jun 6, 2012

i like idea number one....
alot...
it adds ALOT of strategy to the game and more suspense

i would REALLY like to see idea number on in the game

but idea number 2 is eh...
you should always be able to play bad in the beginning but make a GREAT comback later on...

omg please no tripping... PLEASE!!!
i Hated that soo much DX

no seriously, idea number one, i was complaining about only killing with super
(That maybe they should add life blah blah blah) but if you can stagger people, it'll add more ways to kill people to the game =D
thats what killing with specials needed!
And its unique so i'm sure super bot entertainment wont mind

cause in brawl you can kill in so many ways, with down spikes
hilarious items

down smash the center of the stage

or combo them off to the left side of the stage
or juggle them all the way up!

but in asbr you can only kill with special DX
but if you can stagger then special! or not stagger at all!
or make it so that another person is staggered so you can go for some one else
or even that 2 vs 2 strategy you said =D its perfect!
THERE CAN EVEN BE ITEMS THAT STAGGER YOU!!!
OMG THAT IDEA IS AMAZING!!

please get this!

some one inform superbot entertainment about this on their website!
xTao! attack them! http://www.superbotentertainment.com/
or get more people on this amazing thread!

Message 10 of 13 (142 Views)
0 Likes