I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Re: All-Stars IP might start being Vapoware, guys.

Feb 10, 2013

achus93again wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

achus93again wrote:
considering all the tweets indicating otherwise, and the fact that PASABR just reached no.5, beating Monster Hunter in Japan, i don't think this IP is gonna go away that easily,
Sony understands the importance of this franchise...

I would hope so. I love the game and got it launch day (w/ the preorder costumes). It's just so much fun.

I saw the Japanese figures. About 12k for a debut is not bad. It's not super high, but its not bad. Parappa, Toro, Heihachi, Spike, and Raiden are a few characters Japanese audiences can relate too. The big one might be Kat. Can't wait to see that new DLC batch! Smiley Happy

edit:

Erm, what tweets does every1 keep reffering to? I follow @superbotent on my VITA's twitter feed. There's not much I see them talk about other than the fact the DLC (besides Kat and Emmet) they worked on and pretty much finished will still be polished and sent out.

It's that third wave onward (that might not be there and never will be) that I am most worried about. 

the tweets most of us were reffering to were the tweets where:

1. people asked Superbot if there was gonna be DLC after Kat & Emmett (it was asked after the break up) and they responded with 'yes'

2. people asked if PSASBR is gonna get screwed, and they said that it's in good hands now (refering to SSM)

3. people asked about the state of PSASBR now, they said that there's nothing wrong with it (something like that)

and a bunch of other tweets i don't know

seriously dude, Superbot's end with Sony isn't a bad one,

the difference is that two people realising that they maybe weren't ready for a relationship, so they decided to end it, it's not like someone was being dumped because the dumper thought that the dumpee wasn't made for them, 

or, using a different analogy, it's like parents seeing their kids off 'cause their kids are going to college, not like the parents kicking out their kids out of their home

and, let's say that PSASBR isn't doing particularly well,

Sony can just make a new business arrangement with them,

using the first analogy, their's a chance that Sony and Superbot might have a new relationship in the future,

using the second analogy, Sony's expecting to have another arangement with Superbot in the future....

See, SuperBot is a classy studio, so I would not suspect them to be all sour when a group of SM devs/engineers who never touched the game now have to deliver future content SuperBot layed the foundation for.

... SuperBot employees in public DID seem to know that the studio (and far future DLC) might not have a future with SCE possibly termenating SuperBot's contract (after launch). In that situation I would agree with your beautiful image of two sides having a copecitic out. But that still leaves the question of what happens with the actual product and IP itself in the slightly farther out future.

Again, the next next wave of DLC, bug/balance issues, etc are all stuff I want to see SCE adress. Than, yeah I am jumping the gun and want to know about sequels and if/when the All-Stars1 MP servers close for good. 

Message 11 of 22 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Feb 10, 2013
You're thinking too far ahead - the games only been out 3 months and you're talking about servers closing down (Starhawk hasn't even sold half the number of copies and the servers still remain up, even though in its case, the studio actually did get shut down !), more DLC when a) the first hasn't even been released yet & b) it's confirmed that we're getting atleast one more, to be announced in March. Along with that, it's also been confirmed that a new patch is incoming (that will fix the Vita music glitch & more). Worry about the lack of support when the game ACTUALLY lacks it.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 12 of 22 (152 Views)
Last Guardian
9937 posts

Feb 10, 2013
I kind of wish people would stop acting like Somy FIRED Superbot. Sony contracted SB to make the game, SB fulfilled their end of the contract, that's it.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 13 of 22 (139 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Feb 10, 2013
Yeah, SuperBot reiterated that to IGN - the studio is fine, are still on good terms with Sony & are currently looking for a new project to work on.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 14 of 22 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18884 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2013

Sony will never confirm that All-Stars is going great and a sequel is confirmed 3 months into a game. Sony themselves probably  don't know if there will be a sequel or not yet.

Sony will also never say "this game tanked, this is going on the 'oops' shelf". They still want the game to sell, and they still want to make money off of DLC.

What the Santa Monica studio will do is fix bugs and make more DLC, because with a game that is new, they will still make plenty of money on DLC, and that's what all companies like. Character balance and new features are unlikely, but I wouldn't be too surprised if we saw a couple minor character tweaks.

Message 15 of 22 (130 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Feb 11, 2013

S-o-h-a-i-l wrote:
You're thinking too far ahead - the games only been out 3 months and you're talking about servers closing down (Starhawk hasn't even sold half the number of copies and the servers still remain up, even though in its case, the studio actually did get shut down !), more DLC when a) the first hasn't even been released yet & b) it's confirmed that we're getting atleast one more, to be announced in March. Along with that, it's also been confirmed that a new patch is incoming (that will fix the Vita music glitch & more). Worry about the lack of support when the game ACTUALLY lacks it.

Look, I have a right to ask about these things when the studio and SCE promised me an evolving platform with future content in this All-Stars game. When SuperBot and SCE announced All-Stars they where poised to keep on making content and keep on tweaking the games bugs, balances, etc, after launch. Now that SuperBot is not there, some unnamed entity in SM is handeling the game.

All I am doing is questioning what will happen when more bugs come along, when that stats show a character(s) need to be re-balanced, if SM even has a staff as fighting game oriented as SuperBot, if a new wave of DLC will come along late this year/early next, etc.

If you see where I am coming from, these are legit questions I am asking. 

Message 16 of 22 (100 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Feb 11, 2013

nasrulez wrote:
I kind of wish people would stop acting like Somy FIRED Superbot. Sony contracted SB to make the game, SB fulfilled their end of the contract, that's it.

Who ever says SCE fired SuperBot is just plain reporting the facts wrong. 

Who ever says SCE pretty much is screwing over the current and future All-Stars fanbase by firing SuperBot . . . Than SCE, rather, the entity in SM now behind All-Stars has to prove doubters otherwise from here on out.
And (personally) I hope to be proven wrong because I want to see this game in competition tournaments (like EVO) and when characters becomes OP than I hope that gets fixed. 

Message 17 of 22 (96 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Feb 11, 2013

coreno wrote:

Sony will never confirm that All-Stars is going great and a sequel is confirmed 3 months into a game. Sony themselves probably  don't know if there will be a sequel or not yet.

Sony will also never say "this game tanked, this is going on the 'oops' shelf". They still want the game to sell, and they still want to make money off of DLC.

What the Santa Monica studio will do is fix bugs and make more DLC, because with a game that is new, they will still make plenty of money on DLC, and that's what all companies like. Character balance and new features are unlikely, but I wouldn't be too surprised if we saw a couple minor character tweaks.

**bleep** IT! (Sorry, I literally yelled that at my monitor right now XD)

Balance is one of the main issues I fear being confronted with (as a person that plays online primarly). No (proper) character balancing is a HUGE deal with this game. 

Part of the reason the game is fun is because players abide by the balanced set (I think a really balance) that SuperBot established for the game. 

. . . I will just have to wait and see. Btw, Toro's grab is still stupid there was a "house of crack" video done about Toro's glitchy grab animation). 

Message 18 of 22 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Feb 11, 2013

Wakefulness wrote:

If All-Stars no longer has a sequel and we only get one more wave of DLC, than the All-Stars IP pretty much begins being vapoware by the second half of the 2013 calender year onward.

Because SCE fired the only team in charge of keeping the game alive (and did not have a contignecy plan in place to keep the game alive), SCE made a statement that it no longer cares about the game as a platform that consistantly provides stuff to a substantial install base. 

This sucks for a few reasons:

a) If SuperBot were still around, they could have worked as a middle man to get SCE management to dig into their pockets to get us DLC characters and stages we wanted

b) There is no modable anything. We are stuck with the game "as is". No team will ever tweak any OP character or add stuff beyond Kat, Emmet, and maybe two more characters and stages  (at least I think)

Anyways, I just wanted to rant/give my thoughts on the matter. What do you all think?

You are assuming BIG TIME. There probably will be a sequel. It might be made by Santa Monica though. Not bad at all. And there's MORE than one wayve dude. Don't make things up

Message 19 of 22 (81 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Feb 11, 2013

smithery22 wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

If All-Stars no longer has a sequel and we only get one more wave of DLC, than the All-Stars IP pretty much begins being vapoware by the second half of the 2013 calender year onward.

Because SCE fired the only team in charge of keeping the game alive (and did not have a contignecy plan in place to keep the game alive), SCE made a statement that it no longer cares about the game as a platform that consistantly provides stuff to a substantial install base. 

This sucks for a few reasons:

a) If SuperBot were still around, they could have worked as a middle man to get SCE management to dig into their pockets to get us DLC characters and stages we wanted

b) There is no modable anything. We are stuck with the game "as is". No team will ever tweak any OP character or add stuff beyond Kat, Emmet, and maybe two more characters and stages  (at least I think)

Anyways, I just wanted to rant/give my thoughts on the matter. What do you all think?

You are assuming BIG TIME. There probably will be a sequel. It might be made by Santa Monica though. Not bad at all. And there's MORE than one wayve dude. Don't make things up

The sequel we do not know about after the character that follow Emmet and Kat (aka the third wave onward), we still do not know about.

Message 20 of 22 (72 Views)
0 Likes