Dec 11 2012
By: Ginta2468 Treasure Hunter 6400 posts

After playing Sackboy extensively after the patch...

41 replies 1134 views Edited Dec 11, 2012
...I can confirm that he is NOT useless. He is now not a spam character, and not for people to get off right off the bat, so now he takes pratice to use. Yes his nerf was pretty big, in fact let me tell you something. When the patch first hit the U.S I went straight to ranked FFA, and boy did it not go well. I am a red belt but I lowered by like 40 points, and this meant I need to train with him. I did win a few matches, but due to the now skill ranking system, I couldn't just easily get to a level 3 anymore. So if any of you just spam with him hoping for easy wins, stop playing him right now.

I am by no means a bad Sackboy player, I think BlazedCarbon, Le_Froglet, and ChanceKnowsBest can vouch for my skills. I however had to hit the training room to get to know him better. He can not win matches anymore by just spamming and his forward triangle-electric pad combo, you actually have to think now. I played a match after learning him more and managed to get his level 2 on Stowaways before the stage transformed. Yeah I am still getting use to is nerf, but I learned a lot of things about him after it, heck look at my accomplishments, don't believe me add me, but I won't be on till later on in the week.

Basically what I am saying is while Sackboy isn't noob friendly anymore does not mean he is useless, you just need pratice with him to win at all. So go hit those pratice rooms up. If you have any questions feel free to add me.

*Btw people have been talking how his forward triangle combo does not work anymore. I can confirm this as BS, the timing is more tighter for some reason and can be used on any characters.

Message 1 of 42 (1,134 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5383 posts

Re: After playing Sackboy extensively after the patch...

Dec 11, 2012

I agree and can vouch for you as well...YOU ARE A REALLY GOOD SACKBOY! WAS TOUGH VERSING YOU! you REALLY know Sackboy and even taught me some stuff in our battle.

My Scaler (Obscure/Unique) Moveset!: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Scaler-Obscure-Unique-Moveset-Give-Feedback/m-p/41328063 Gimme Feedback on it?
Message 2 of 42 (1,121 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
335 posts

Dec 11, 2012

I'd be interested in adding either of you to learn a bit if that's alright. I've noticed along with a few others that the up square in side triangle is very character specific post-patch but perhaps I've been doing something wrong. Even in training the most I've hit in a combo post-patch is 95, where as before it was around 145 consitently. 

Ginta2468 do you still play as Sackboy with your red belt and win consitently against the likes of Kratos, Raiden, Sly, etc? Or have you switched to another character post-patch? 

Message 3 of 42 (1,100 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6400 posts

Dec 11, 2012
I usually use Sackboy with some Spike on the side even after the patch. Yeah they made some of his timing differently and I noticed this when I was missing his electirc pad combo and couldn't get the level 1 combo (Drake version) off off the up grab anymore.

Now as for ranked matches I was still doing really good for 10-15 matches against Kratos, Raiden, and Slys, then I ran into a Sly Cooper who only went after me and literally countered everything I did, and when I caught on to his strategy, he still kept winning off of abusing the other players, he was like the old Sackboy, so that lowered me by a lot because I ran into him every single match,then I finally went to pratice mode for hours and now I feel better than ever. He isn't broken, just much harder to win with.
I would stick to level 1s and 2s if you fight skilled players, and when you are sure you can get a level 3 go for it.
Message 4 of 42 (1,075 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6400 posts

Dec 11, 2012
Oh and mtjjrstccw1 I was not in top condition in that fight. I feel better now, so we should spar again.
Message 5 of 42 (1,068 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1868 posts

Dec 11, 2012
Ginta you just proved that people who cry his useless are the spammers and cant just sit there and get there level 3 anymore hat to you sir.
Message 6 of 42 (1,057 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
335 posts

Dec 11, 2012

Thanks for the reply!

Just curious, say in theory Sackboy still combo'd identically as he did before but had all the same post-patch nerfs:

- His level 1 costs the same as raidens/sly's/Kratos yet in a timed FFA is much harder to land, gain AP for (except for Sly possibly), and typically nets 1 kill max, rarely 2. Raiden, sly and Kratos usually get 2 kills minimum. How can you compete with that in ranked FFA?

- When you say you went to practice mode for 2 hrs, what did that look like for you? Was it just vs 1 computer on Dojo nd practicing combos? Could use some tips here Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 42 (1,046 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6400 posts

Dec 11, 2012

chunky_shtew wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

Just curious, say in theory Sackboy still combo'd identically as he did before but had all the same post-patch nerfs:

- His level 1 costs the same as raidens/sly's/Kratos yet in a timed FFA is much harder to land, gain AP for (except for Sly possibly), and typically nets 1 kill max, rarely 2. Raiden, sly and Kratos usually get 2 kills minimum. How can you compete with that in ranked FFA?

- When you say you went to practice mode for 2 hrs, what did that look like for you? Was it just vs 1 computer on Dojo nd practicing combos? Could use some tips here Smiley Happy

Well usually there is a Kratos, Dante, Raiden, or anyone doing long combos, you can walk up to them and use your level 1. The electric panel still sets up though, but it can be safe to hit side triangle first before doing the electric panel, but I recommend doing a short hop first since his side triangle into electric panel is easier to do in the air. A lot of people grab Sackboy now, so it has gotten less safe to go for his level 3. As for people like Raiden and Kratos, I see more people go for Kratos's level 2 now, and I can usually predict when Raiden is going to try using his level 1, so I always place a trap around and it usually stops them or I use his bounce pad shield or jump pad and get them away. Sly level 1 however is pretty dang tough to deal with, and I am still working on that.

I was mostly praticing combos, like learning more ap combos as well as learning how his traps can be used and teleporter in attacks. I also 1v1 a few highest level AIs, like Drake, Kratos, and Sackboy himself in stages like the Pratice stages and Dojo. I generally had no trouble against any of them, Drake did get me once, but generally they aren't as much of a threat as they use to be. 

Sackboy still isn't meant to be in the middle of the action, and he can't fight Raiden up close in a square fight, so you have to use traps and bait them over to you. Blocking is essential to using him, and then you can use an up grab combo, which even though it generates less ap than some of his other ap burst, it is pratical and reduces you opponents super meter by 10%. I would say do more quick matches and when you feel confident go to rank matches.

Message 8 of 42 (1,001 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
335 posts

Dec 11, 2012

Hmm good to know. You play on PS3 I'm assuming, I just have a vita so I wonder if that has some effect on the combos as well since even in practice mode some of them are very character specific for me and a few others post patch. I'll add you though and perhaps we can play sometime. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 42 (985 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1808 posts

Dec 11, 2012
Message 10 of 42 (978 Views)
0 Likes