Dec 19 2012
By: musicfreaklam Uncharted Territory 1807 posts

About third-party DLC characters...

26 replies 816 views Edited Dec 19, 2012

I was kind of under the assumption that we'd obviously be getting some third-party additions to the roster in the future.  My list of "most likely" characters includes Cloud, Crash (if they can make a deal with either of their IP holders), Snake, The King of All Cosmos, Abe, and Lara Croft (new version).  However, after the first "DLC" was released yesterday, I'm starting to fear that third-party additions to this game will be incredibly hard to come by.

Does anyone have any idea why the third-party pack of costumes was not released on the store?  The only thing I can think of is maybe it would appear that the publishers (Namco, Capcom, Konami, 2K) actually cooperated on a project together when, really, they might even be rivals of each other when it comes to game development.  I know that kind of sounds like a stupid reason, but what do you guys think?  And speaking of rivals, this got me thinking that if we were to miraculously receive third-party characters in the future, they'd probably have to be rivaled with a first-party character. (The reason for this being that Sony would not want to represent Developer A being direct enemies with Developer B.)  If you look at the in-game rivalries already, you'll see that they've already followed this rule (Heihachi vs Toro, Dante vs Nariko, Raiden vs Cole, Big Daddy vs Sackboy).

Another option could be to release third-party characters in packs of two from the same developer.  For example, Cloud vs Lara Croft or (in a perfect world) Crash vs Spyro.  What do you all think about this?  Should we still be optimistic for third-party additions to the roster?

Message 1 of 27 (816 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Re: About third-party DLC characters...

[ Edited ]
Dec 19, 2012

You are right about rivals and third party, they would be releasing them in packs of 2 from the same third party IMO.

I do not honestly see cross third party rivalry.

------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 2 of 27 (806 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1807 posts

Dec 19, 2012

Bump.  Does anyone else have any opinions about this?

Message 3 of 27 (733 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1819 posts

Dec 19, 2012

What's this "first DLC" you spoke of?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT IS THIS!?
Message 4 of 27 (717 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1807 posts

Dec 19, 2012
The preorder costumes for those who didn't preorder it. The third-party costumes were excluded
Message 5 of 27 (706 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1807 posts

Dec 20, 2012
Bump
Message 6 of 27 (630 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
325 posts

Dec 20, 2012
It might make things difficult, but that's no reason not to keep believing!
Message 7 of 27 (617 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
682 posts

Dec 20, 2012
i dont like lara croft. she'd just be another drake(especially if its the new one. dont get me wrong it looks like a good game but it looks A LOT like uncharted). also it seems to be leaning more to xbox anyway w/ timed dlc on that system first.

which brings me to another point, whats the purpose of timed dlc? do people honestly tell themselves "well xbox is gonna get the tomb raider dlc first so ill get it on that system." i have never ever thought that or knew anyone that thought like that.(i own all consoles). when that happens i pretty much just say screw it, ill get the goty for [which ever console i want it on].
its what im gonna do w/ south park. wanted it on my ps3 but after they announced timed exclusive dlc for xbox i just thought to myself ill just wait for the complete edition down the line.

/ends mini rant

COME ON, PRINNY FOR PASBR!!
Message 8 of 27 (588 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

Dec 20, 2012
I just want Abe. Don't care who he comes with or how.
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Message 9 of 27 (558 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Here's my theory.  I think Superbot is giving us these two free DLC characters to pass the time while they finish acquiring the rights for the big boys.  So i figure the next pack would contain highly requested characters that aren't super hard to obtain (the king vs abe) with the characters after that being the big characters like snake, crash, and cloud.  As for rivals, i feel like they'll be in packs from the same company (lara vs cloud, crash vs spyro)  or companies that love the other person's work (snake vs an assassin)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 10 of 27 (535 Views)