Reply
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14608 posts
 

Re: About the limited-time PS All-Stars TeeFury shirt

Nov 16, 2012

tippy78 wrote:

I'm in college... I pride myself on the fact that I wear shirts that are sort of (geeky)  I have 2 E.T. shirts. A walking dead shirt that says. W. Al. K. Er. On it (Breaking bad/Walking dead reference) TMNT shirt, marvel shirt. And soon i'll have this.  I think it's just fine to wear this in college.  It's a cool looking shirt. And if people really think you're not worth hanging out with because you're wearing a shirt that's "nerdy" in their opinion, then they aren't people you should WANT to hang out with... And honest 333, if you actually are concerned with being POPULAR in college... wow... I go to the U of MN and my freshman class is 5500 people... I'm only worried about making my own friends and getting involved in what I like.  Not what's the POPULAR thing to do.


I think he is going for more "fitting in" rather than being popular. He just does not want to be looked down upon.


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 31 of 42 (108 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/07/2012
Offline
1807 posts
 

Re: About the limitted-time PS All-Stars TeeFury shirt

Nov 16, 2012

BigGZ4CZ wrote:

Thirty3Three wrote:

BigGZ4CZ wrote:

I got the same email as you did, and I'll be wearing it around. I'm not ashamed to wear it in public, after all I want to be a video game designer. If people judge me and think lower of me because of a shirt then those people aren't very great themselves and should rethink their lives. Sorry but I think what you said is somewhat ridiculous.  


Morally, yes. Socially, no.


I've never had a problem making friends or anything of that sort. In highschool I was good friends with a majority of the "popular kids." I've hung out with them on many occassions, gone to parties with them, everything and I'm still friends with them.. Same with college. I've made tons of friends who could care less if I'm a video game fanatic. Some even embrace it. Heck, one of my best friends from the university I used to go to became friends with me because of video games and he was part of the biggest frats on campus. I really don't think it matters to many people as you think it does. But that's my opinion and you have your own. I'm not saying you're wrong but I really just haven't witnessed what you've said in my life I guess.


I'm kind of in the same boat as you.  In high school I was friends with a "more-popular-than-not" group of people.  And in college no one cares that I'm a video game nerd.  My group of friends could care less about what games I'm currently playing or what I'm interested in but I'm kind of the guy to go to in the group when it comes to what's going on in film, television, and video game culture.  Doesn't every group of friends have that?  Or do people like 333 just drink, party, and have sex all day?  Cause I would hate that personally

Message 32 of 42 (107 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
Registered: 09/24/2012
Offline
759 posts
 

Re: About the limited-time PS All-Stars TeeFury shirt

Nov 17, 2012
After you reach a certain mental age, you get a comfortablility and understanding of yourself such that fitting in or being popular or even looked down upon becomes an arbitrary and pointless thought as you care less about what's socially acceptable and more about living your own life. I've always worn video game apparel and still, it wasn't my clothes that kept me in the popular crowd, or in groups with girls, but rather my personality. Actually, I'll go a step further and say that because of my personality, I chose those clothes and I found that as I wore what I liked and became more comfortable with who I am, caring less and less about social acceptance, I got more friends than I ever had when I tried to fit in, and the number of friends I got was much more socially diverse. I started coming into class with Bo-bombs on my shirts and the nerds liked it because they're nerds, while the popular kids liked it because Mario is staple in society. I wear my game gear because it suits me, but my personality is what appeals to everyone else and I didn't really get to the point that I'm at until I learned that fitting in sucks and being who I am is far more fun, regardless of what people think.

As it stands now, I have plenty of friends from all walks of life. I'm married with 2 children, one my step daughter, the other my actual daughter, both the love's of my life. I'm 2 years away from a game design degree, and buying a house simultaneously, I'm only 22, and all of these decisions were planned, not accidents. I walk around daily with a domo hat on and usually a shirt that has some obscure reference on it. I talk about games, design decisions, martial arts and my kids all day and I could care less what people think. I'm a troll and pro **bleep** hole in real life and respectable on the forums. I love my life. Who cares if people that don't know me think I'm a nerd? :-P
_______________________________________________________________


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Colossal King
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Gravity Queen
Message 33 of 42 (97 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/07/2012
Offline
1807 posts
 

Re: About the limited-time PS All-Stars TeeFury shirt

Nov 17, 2012

Fear4TheHero47 wrote:
After you reach a certain mental age, you get a comfortablility and understanding of yourself such that fitting in or being popular or even looked down upon becomes an arbitrary and pointless thought as you care less about what's socially acceptable and more about living your own life. I've always worn video game apparel and still, it wasn't my clothes that kept me in the popular crowd, or in groups with girls, but rather my personality. Actually, I'll go a step further and say that because of my personality, I chose those clothes and I found that as I wore what I liked and became more comfortable with who I am, caring less and less about social acceptance, I got more friends than I ever had when I tried to fit in, and the number of friends I got was much more socially diverse. I started coming into class with Bo-bombs on my shirts and the nerds liked it because they're nerds, while the popular kids liked it because Mario is staple in society. I wear my game gear because it suits me, but my personality is what appeals to everyone else and I didn't really get to the point that I'm at until I learned that fitting in sucks and being who I am is far more fun, regardless of what people think.

As it stands now, I have plenty of friends from all walks of life. I'm married with 2 children, one my step daughter, the other my actual daughter, both the love's of my life. I'm 2 years away from a game design degree, and buying a house simultaneously, I'm only 22, and all of these decisions were planned, not accidents. I walk around daily with a domo hat on and usually a shirt that has some obscure reference on it. I talk about games, design decisions, martial arts and my kids all day and I could care less what people think. I'm a troll and pro **bleep** hole in real life and respectable on the forums. I love my life. Who cares if people that don't know me think I'm a nerd? :-P

Amen, brotha

Message 34 of 42 (88 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 09/18/2012
Offline
2105 posts
 

Re: About the limited-time PS All-Stars TeeFury shirt

Nov 17, 2012
My shirt has been shipped! Smiley Happy
------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 35 of 42 (79 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 06/22/2012
Offline
518 posts
 

Re: About the limitted-time PS All-Stars TeeFury shirt

Nov 17, 2012
A shirt is a shirt lol who gives a crap.. Waiting for mine still..I think its pretty kick **bleep**
Message 36 of 42 (79 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/10/2011
Offline
5661 posts
 

Re: About the limited-time PS All-Stars TeeFury shirt

Nov 17, 2012
I'm guessing you guys are talking about schools & colleges in the States ? Never had a problem regarding 'popularity' in my school/college/uni years here in the UK, the concept itself is lost on me. Everyone talked/hung out with everyone, it was never a case of 'can't sit on that table' lol, it's pretty ridiculous. Ofcourse I'm aware of such vain petty social norms existing elsewhere, but luckily I never had to go through that. Video games actually used to be a huge thing leading upto and especially in uni, the majority of girls played video games - there were no stereotypes, if a guy walks in with a Star Wars Yoda shirt, we'll all talk like Yoda and have a laugh. I still keep in contact and see the majority of my college & uni friends on a daily basis (both male and female), and what is it we love to do when we get together ? Play games local split screen or with two, three monitors together.

I will say this to conclude, this so called 'popularity' won't last long believe me. I know the majority of forumers here are teenagers who believe their school life and image to be the be all, end all of life, but trust me all of it will be meaningless once you graduate and leave. It's better for you to just be yourself, enjoy the things you do and work hard - consider it the three pillars of life lol.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 37 of 42 (76 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 09/24/2012
Offline
759 posts
 

Re: About the limited-time PS All-Stars TeeFury shirt

Nov 17, 2012
Sohail's definitely got the right idea. Caring about your image really does get old fast. Unless that image is how you look in your suit on the way to your interview with the game developer job (or career, whatevs) of your dream, or something equally as important.
_______________________________________________________________


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Colossal King
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Gravity Queen
Message 38 of 42 (61 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/07/2012
Offline
1807 posts
 

Re: About the limited-time PS All-Stars TeeFury shirt

Nov 20, 2012
I got my shirt in the mail today! Smiley Very Happy What perfect timing! I'll post a pic in an hour or so when I'm not on mobile for those who want to see it
Message 39 of 42 (45 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 08/11/2012
Offline
99 posts
 

Re: About the limited-time PS All-Stars TeeFury shirt

Nov 20, 2012

musicfreaklam wrote:

I just got an email saying that mine was shipped today.  Can't wait to get it in the mail  =]  No one's received theirs yet, have they?


I just got mine today Smiley Very Happy

Message 40 of 42 (43 Views)
Reply
0 Likes