Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
1401 posts
 

Re: AP Thoughts

Aug 20, 2012

JohnHorus wrote:

Also I dont see why players should be punished anymore for getting killed because it works both ways too. It may allow better players to dominate even moreso because if theyre getting kills left and right they'll be knocking down lesser players chances of reaching even a level 2 let alone a 3.

 

Just the way I see it though.



So you're saying that the ONLY consequence from dying should be minusing 1 point from your final score?

Photobucket
Message 11 of 26 (99 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 07/14/2012
Offline
841 posts
 

Re: AP Thoughts

Aug 20, 2012
I think it should, actually. Killing is relatively easy once you get a bar, and it can easily get one player a monopoly if they're skilled enough. It's better in my opinion to keep things as fair as possible.

Otherwise, what if the timer is down to a few seconds. Spike has been saving up his level three, so he gets ready to push it. But wait! Parappa comes up and uses the level 1 he just got! ...Well, Spike just lost.
Message 12 of 26 (97 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
1401 posts
 

Re: AP Thoughts

Aug 20, 2012

Since EVERYONE wants this game to be competitive there should be factors to make it that way.

 

I believe being able to regulate someone elses AP Guage will make this game over the top competitive!

 

Maybe they should have a hardcore mode for the gamers who want a real Risk/Reward factor in this game. 

 

 

Photobucket
Message 13 of 26 (96 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
1401 posts
 

Re: AP Thoughts

Aug 20, 2012

Astroking112 wrote:


Otherwise, what if the timer is down to a few seconds. Spike has been saving up his level three, so he gets ready to push it. But wait! Parappa comes up and uses the level 1 he just got! ...Well, Spike just lost.


That's the risk reward factor! If you want to try to reach Level 3 and get all of these easy kills you are going to have to evade other super attacks! 

 

You can try to make your opponent limited to only being able to use Level 1 Supers by continously killing them and Regulating how powerful they can become. 

 

I think this will take lots of skill and only people who die alot and suck at the game will complain about. So I think it should be a seperate mode. 

Photobucket
Message 14 of 26 (92 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 08/05/2012
Offline
95 posts
 

Re: AP Thoughts

Aug 20, 2012

I think that's a good idea to have more of a consequence to getting hit by a super, that way you have to pay more attention to what's happening and it adds some more strategy.

You are now aware of your breathing.... and your floating knee caps.
Message 15 of 26 (89 Views)
Gaming Beast
Registered: 03/04/2008
Offline
1776 posts
 

Re: AP Thoughts

[ Edited ]
Aug 20, 2012

1. I feel like this would be unfair for people saving up for a level 3, because they are already being punished by allowing everyone else to score more quickly with their level 1's and 2's (which are much cheaper and therefore require much less time for them to be used). Plus in timed matches specifically, you're racing against the clock, so if you're saving up for Level 3 you've already wasted a lot of time in doing so. This idea just seems a little bit unnecessary when people saving up for Lvl 3's are already at a big disadvantage.

 

 

2. For your second question, the answer is that each super has different costs associated with it. I emailed Cl0ckw0rk about this a while ago, and he said that super bar growth isn't linear (as in,  Level 3 =/= Level 1 + Level 1 + Level 1). One Level 2 Super costs more than just 2 Level 1's, so when you say "1 and 3/4" bar, that's not actually the amount of super you have. It's hard to explain but let me put it this way;

 

If it takes 50 hits to get to a Level 1 super, it is NOT going to take 50 more hits to get to Level 2. It'll take more like 75 or 100 more hits to get to level 2. 

 

3. This would be cool I guess. I'd prefer if SuperBot developed a more permanent solution for Spammers in EVERY mode, though (Sly spammers, I'm looking at you).

 

 

Message 16 of 26 (84 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
Registered: 08/09/2012
Offline
42 posts
 

Re: AP Thoughts

Aug 21, 2012

TONESTER_925 wrote:

JohnHorus wrote:

Also I dont see why players should be punished anymore for getting killed because it works both ways too. It may allow better players to dominate even moreso because if theyre getting kills left and right they'll be knocking down lesser players chances of reaching even a level 2 let alone a 3.

 

Just the way I see it though.



So you're saying that the ONLY consequence from dying should be minusing 1 point from your final score?


Yup, the best way to regulate your opponent's AP is by putting pressure on them, not getting hit by using your block and evade effectively and using throws when needed. Basically what you have to do in any fighter. And what fighter punishes players for taking too much damage by ALSO knocking their super meter down? 

 

Whats going to make this game competitive is whether or not players can evade supers effectively. Its a skill required for this game. Also if youre loosing AP by dying then its going to mess with the economy of the game. Forget risk reward, its going to cause people to screw going for a level 3 because theyll have to go almost half if not more of the match WITHOUT DYING.

Add me, I'm new here!
Message 17 of 26 (67 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
Registered: 08/09/2012
Offline
42 posts
 

Re: AP Thoughts

Aug 21, 2012

Slayer5228 wrote:

This guy's got the idea!

Wow a new user who I actually agree with!
You're on the right track bud!


And lol thanks, I know not everyone will agree with me but Im glad to have gotten into the beta and glad to be apart of the forums. ^_^

 

Add me, I'm new here!
Message 18 of 26 (63 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
1401 posts
 

Re: AP Thoughts

Aug 21, 2012

 

JohnHorus wrote:

TONESTER_925 wrote:

JohnHorus wrote:

Also I dont see why players should be punished anymore for getting killed because it works both ways too. It may allow better players to dominate even moreso because if theyre getting kills left and right they'll be knocking down lesser players chances of reaching even a level 2 let alone a 3.

 

Just the way I see it though.



So you're saying that the ONLY consequence from dying should be minusing 1 point from your final score?


Yup, the best way to regulate your opponent's AP is by putting pressure on them, not getting hit by using your block and evade effectively and using throws when needed. Basically what you have to do in any fighter. And what fighter punishes players for taking too much damage by ALSO knocking their super meter down? 

 

Whats going to make this game competitive is whether or not players can evade supers effectively. Its a skill required for this game. Also if youre loosing AP by dying then its going to mess with the economy of the game. Forget risk reward, its going to cause people to screw going for a level 3 because theyll have to go almost half if not more of the match WITHOUT DYING.


Half of the match? What the 3 minutes of the BETA? I've seen people with Sly and Kratos get level 3 in a matter of one minute easily!
You said you're in the Beta so you could see that. 
Maybe this gamemode isn't for you.



Photobucket
Message 19 of 26 (56 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
Registered: 08/09/2012
Offline
42 posts
 

Re: AP Thoughts

Aug 21, 2012

TONESTER_925 wrote:

 

JohnHorus wrote:

TONESTER_925 wrote:

JohnHorus wrote:

Also I dont see why players should be punished anymore for getting killed because it works both ways too. It may allow better players to dominate even moreso because if theyre getting kills left and right they'll be knocking down lesser players chances of reaching even a level 2 let alone a 3.

 

Just the way I see it though.



So you're saying that the ONLY consequence from dying should be minusing 1 point from your final score?


Yup, the best way to regulate your opponent's AP is by putting pressure on them, not getting hit by using your block and evade effectively and using throws when needed. Basically what you have to do in any fighter. And what fighter punishes players for taking too much damage by ALSO knocking their super meter down? 

 

Whats going to make this game competitive is whether or not players can evade supers effectively. Its a skill required for this game. Also if youre loosing AP by dying then its going to mess with the economy of the game. Forget risk reward, its going to cause people to screw going for a level 3 because theyll have to go almost half if not more of the match WITHOUT DYING.


Half of the match? What the 3 minutes of the BETA? I've seen people with Sly and Kratos get level 3 in a matter of one minute easily!
You said you're in the Beta so you could see that. 
Maybe this gamemode isn't for you.




Most players wont get their level 3 that quick. Im sure most of us here in the forums are able to but thats because other people in the beta don't play as much as us and we dominate without hinderance. If youre in the beta im sure youve seen players not make it to level 3 until the 1:30 mark if not further into the match. 

 

Plus with the nature of level3 supers having ones with cinematics which limit kills to 3 to having ones where up to 6 kills is possible will cause an entire section of characters to be less viable in this mode because who's going to want to run the risk to save up for parappa's or Toro's level 3 when Kratos, Sly, Radec and Sweet Tooth can all get up to 6kills?

 

Im not trying to argue with you Im just lending my perspective because I honestly think PSABR is actually quite a deep fighter but most people online arent playing it like it is. And we'd all be silly for considering SuperBot hadn't already thought to reduce super meter from getting killed. Theres a reason its not in the game now.

Add me, I'm new here!
Message 20 of 26 (46 Views)
Reply
0 Likes