Highlighted
Aug 10 2012
By: IceColdKilla44 Gaming Beast 1779 posts

A Small Suggestion for Kratos' Alternate Colors (To help keep track of him on screen)

[ Edited ]
29 replies 1807 views Edited Oct 18, 2013

Kratos Balance Thread

This is a thread concerning Kratos' alternate colors. Here are a few pictures of all 4 of them

kratos 4 costumes

kratos all 4 costumes right

kratos all 4 costumes left

As you can see, from left to right, regular Kratos, blue Kratos, Fear Kratos, and "4th costume kratos".

A lot of people on this board have already said it's a bit difficult to keep track of certain characters on the screen, and I've noticed that this is especially true for multiple Kratoses. After playing a few matches with FOUR of them the other day, I noticed that three things about Kratos that really stick out are:

1) The color of his blades

2) The orange, fiery trace of his blades

3) His Golden fleece

You see, even though Kratos' tattoo or skin color might change with each color swap, his blades always remain the same color. Not only that, but the red/orange trace coming out of his blades always remains the same, and this trace is one of the easiest ways to identify Kratos when he's swinging his blades around. I think you can see in the 2 screenshots above how prominent his blades are in all 4 costumes: it seems really strange for something that jumps out at you so much remains the same for all 4 costumes.

Then there's his "Golden" fleece. Which, as you can see, is only Golden in his first 2 costumes. It's black in the 3rd costume and silver in the 4th costume. Since this fleece really sticks out, it's very easy to tell 3rd costume Kratos from others, and somewhat easy to tell apart 4th costume Kratos from the others. The 1st two costumes, however, are simply too similar, and get mixed up far too easily. A simple change in color for Blue Kratos' golden fleece could easily remedy this..

I think it would be a lot easier to keep track of Kratos if his blades, their trace, and the golden fleece changed color with some of the costumes. Here are my suggestions:

1st Costume:  Regular Kratos (red tatoo): This costume should remain exactly the way it is. Red tatoo & loincloth, red & gold blades, orange fiery trace, and golden fleece. A perfect representation of Kratos from about the middle-end of GoW2.

2nd Costume:Blue Tattoo Kratos: This costume pays homage to Kratos' original design back when GoW1 was being made. Blades should be golden on the trim with a blue glow on the inside, like they were in God of War 2 and Ghost of Sparta, as seen in the pictures below.

blue gold blades

Kratos blue &gold blades 2

The trace of these blades could be golden, again the same way they were in GoW2 and Ghost of Sparta

golden trace 1

golden trace 2

golden trace of blades GoS

As for his fleece, I originally thought it would be best to make it some type of light blue color. However, the gold color actually goes very well with not only his gold-tinted shin guards, but also the golden trace I'm suggesting. I think his golden fleece can remain golden for his 2nd costume if the other 2 changes (blade & trace color) get in.

3rd Costume: Fear Kratos: This one's his Fear costume from God of War 3. I think the dark black skin distinguishes him enough from his other costumes, so the blades can remain red for this one. His fleece is also black, so that's not an issue either. However, I think the trace of these blades should be extremely bright red , to match the color of his bright red tatoo. This was the color of the blades in almost all of the GoW games when they were fully powered up (and at the beginning of God of War 3).

bright red blade trace

bright red trace 2

4th Costume: Ghost of Sparta Kratos: This is Kratos' unlockable costume that you obtain in GoW: Ghost of Sparta by beating the game on God mode. The developers (Dana Jan specifically, director of GoW:GoS) said that the purpose of this costume was to have a monochromatic, vapor-like look to match the black & white visions he has in the game, with only his red tatoo being colored as a reminder of Deimos' birthmark.

Therefore, his blades should reflect that too. blades for this Kratos should be silver with a white glow to match his skin & fleece, and his trace should be silvery-white as well. His fleece is an acceptable color since it's different enough from black (3rd costume) and gold (1st & 2nd costumes). Plus it fits in perfectly with the monochromatic look mentioned above.

I think these small changes could make a pretty big difference in tracking where your Kratos is on the screen, especially for the Vita version. What do you guys think? If you agree, please let SuperBot know by keeping this thread alive (with kudos)! Thanks guys! 

Message 1 of 30 (1,807 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Re: A Small Suggestion for Kratos' Alternate Colors.

Aug 10, 2012
I can agree, though the gold and blue glowing for Blue Kratos' blades shouldn't be needed since the blue tattoos should give it away. You gave a good reason for them to be, though, so I can agree with it.
ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 2 of 30 (1,791 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1779 posts

Aug 10, 2012

Thanks! I initially thought the blue tattoos would be enough, but they don't stick out as much as his pale skin and red blades, which are the exact same on Blue Kratos and regular Kratos. That's what makes them kind of hard to tell apart.

It'll probably be much worse on the Vita version, but this little color change could help a lot!

Message 3 of 30 (1,766 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Aug 10, 2012
I think it's an awesome idea.

Message 4 of 30 (1,752 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Aug 10, 2012

IceColdKilla44 wrote:

Thanks! I initially thought the blue tattoos would be enough, but they don't stick out as much as his pale skin and red blades, which are the exact same on Blue Kratos and regular Kratos. That's what makes them kind of hard to tell apart.

It'll probably be much worse on the Vita version, but this little color change could help a lot! 

In the case that they don't change it, I'd use the alternate costumes, too, to prevent this.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 5 of 30 (1,747 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2026 posts

Aug 10, 2012
Love the idea. Hopefully more skins would help out this issue as well.
Message 6 of 30 (1,735 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1779 posts

Aug 10, 2012

Updated the OP with a picture of the blue/gold blades from Ghost of Sparta & GoW2 to give you guys a better idea what I'm talking about.

Message 7 of 30 (1,705 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Aug 10, 2012

I think blade alteration is a simple yet brilliant way to deal with this concern. Kudos!

Message 8 of 30 (1,694 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
682 posts

Aug 10, 2012
Yes, this would help a lot!

COME ON, PRINNY FOR PASBR!!
Message 9 of 30 (1,689 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1779 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 13, 2012

Wow, just played a few matches with multiple Kratos', and I really really REALLY think this small change could help me identify which Kratos is mine more quickly.

Take Blue Kratos for example. those red blades stick out way more than blue sandals or tattoos. It would be a lot easier, if I could just look at the golden trace of my gold/blue blades to identify my character, since Kratos will have his blades flying around when he's attacking.

Golden trace of the blades

And for the 4th Kratos costume (black loincloth & sandals, bright white skin), the trace could be white just like his blade color would be.

It looks like a lot of you guys agree, so please everyone, keep this thread alive so SuperBot might see it and take it into consideration! Thanks!

Message 10 of 30 (1,622 Views)
0 Likes