Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

Re: 6/10 Review that sort of makes good points (non-gameplay)

Nov 20, 2012

RexLozuresky wrote:

khailcon wrote:

RexLozuresky wrote:

khailcon wrote:

That review is not written persuasivly. Its written vehemently. It's pretty clear this reviewer is biased against this game and clearly doesn't understand the difficulties in aquiring characters. Furthermore the reviewer's use of hyperbole in stating that he "wouldn't even be surprised" if the game had flashing sublimal messages to buy games undermines his credibility and integrity. The entire thing you posted here is a sham of a review. 

Reviewers who don't consider the fact that this roster is ridicolous are biased.

What he says it's completely true and objective, and the fact that people here are angry about this only confirms it.

Hardly. I agree the roster the not up to snuff. But to suggest that it is "ridiculous" just because a few iconic characters are missing is heavy handed. I can be angry at a review that doesn't give a fair shake to the game. The reviewer is in his own right to have his opinions.  But when every compliment he levels at his game is followed by a contridicting detraction, one has to see the reviewer as suspect. 

This is not the case anyway.

You're right obviously the roster isn't ridicolous, that was simply an hyperbole.

But criticize the presence of New Dante or Raiden or Bioshock's Columbia is completely right. That's what I read on this review, and I think it could have even go deeper on the roster.

That wasn't biased at all, it's all true.

Agree to disagree. But don't tell me you couldn't read disdain between the lines. 

Check out my video game blog: http://pixeltrowel.wordpress.com
I don't regurgitate, I provide valuable opinion. Delve into video games with me.
Message 41 of 51 (110 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1197 posts

Nov 20, 2012
I agree with the roster complaints but 6 out of 10 is a little overboard 7 or8 would have been fine
Photobucket
Message 42 of 51 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Nov 20, 2012

khailcon wrote:

That review is not written persuasivly. Its written vehemently. It's pretty clear this reviewer is biased against this game and clearly doesn't understand the difficulties in aquiring characters. Furthermore the reviewer's use of hyperbole in stating that he "wouldn't even be surprised" if the game had flashing sublimal messages to buy games undermines his credibility and integrity. The entire thing you posted here is a sham of a review. 

Please tell me why corporate opportunism shouldn't elicit vehemence?

His only real complaints are to do with this. Of course there are difficulties in acquiring the characters, but those difficulties can be surmounted with a bit more adamance. Too many companies have been allowed to have their way with this game.

Superbot obviously don't have much authority in these affairs, but Sony should have been more responsible and more respectful to their fans and to their own legacy. They should have just said to these companies "listen, we don't want your new characters, they're irrelevant to this game, provide relevant characters please." Clearly though Sony have compromised on their own legacy with this one, bended to the will of other companies and possibly agreed to only the most lucrative of agreements. It's a shame, and it makes it hard to treat this game with nostalgia when it has such patent ulterior motives.

I understand certain companies would have just declined if their terms and conditions weren't met, but that's just such **bleep**. Stop being greedy, self serving **bleep** and think about the community and the history you're representing here. Forget about your shiny new upcoming game for just a second and contribute to something bigger than yourself.

And i'm sure it plays excellently -I trust the personnel at Superbot, they seem like good people- but it's just annoying that it puts up this veneer of being a fan-servicing game when ultimately it's been engineered to service the companies behind it far more. It shows that Superbot wanted it to be fan-servicing, but they were obviously limited by the larger powers surrounding them. Superbot are the only innocent party here if you ask me.

Message 43 of 51 (104 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

Nov 20, 2012

Bladecatcher77 wrote:

khailcon wrote:

His only real complaints are to do with this. Of course there are difficulties in acquiring the characters, but those difficulties can be surmounted with a bit more adamance. Too many companies have been allowed to have their way with this game.

Superbot obviously don't have much authority in these affairs, but Sony should have been more responsible and more respectful to their fans and to their own legacy. They should have just said to these companies "listen, we don't want your new characters, they're irrelevant to this game, provide relevant characters please." Clearly though Sony have compromised on their own legacy with this one, bended to the will of other companies and possibly agreed to only the most lucrative of agreements. It's a shame, and it makes it hard to treat this game with nostalgia when it has such patent ulterior motives.

I understand certain companies would have just declined if their terms and conditions weren't met, but that's just such **bleep**. Stop being greedy, self serving **bleep** and think about the community and the history you're representing here. Forget about your shiny new upcoming game for just a second and contribute to something bigger than yourself.

And i'm sure it plays excellently -I trust the personnel at Superbot, they seem like good people- but it's just annoying that it puts up this veneer of being a fan-servicing game when ultimately it's been engineered to service the companies behind it far more. It shows that Superbot wanted it to be fan-servicing, but they were obviously limited by the larger powers surrounding them. Superbot are the only innocent party here if you ask me.

If you honestly believe there is something wrong with wanting to make money then I have to believe something is wrong with you. If you believe there is any other motivation for these companies to make these games then you are sorely mistaken. I find nothing wrong with Capcom and Konami wanting to promote their new games. 

I don't regurgitate, I provide valuable opinion. Delve into video games with me.
Message 44 of 51 (102 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1211 posts

Nov 20, 2012
That part of the review is very true, imo. But the overall review reeks of a negative opinion of the very concept of the game before the reviewer even played it. Its a shame to see so many reviews doing this, saying that Sony -despite owning more IP's than Nintendo and Microsoft combined- doesnt have the history to pull it off, the lower scoring reviews arent even reviewing the game, they're just venting their "THIS ISNT SMASH BROS SO ITS CRAP!" opinion, it really is dumb.
Message 45 of 51 (90 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 20, 2012

khailcon wrote:

Bladecatcher77 wrote:

khailcon wrote:

If you honestly believe there is something wrong with wanting to make money then I have to believe something is wrong with you. If you believe there is any other motivation for these companies to make these games then you are sorely mistaken. I find nothing wrong with Capcom and Konami wanting to promote their new games. 

Well that's a rotten attitude. You should send a CV into Activision, you're just what they're looking for. I'm sure you'd be right at home at their coke parties, I hear they freebase it with 100 dollar bills.

Money shouldn't be made for money's sake, that's a completely vacuous and absurd idea. It should be a tool to create unique experiences for yourself and for the wider community. To enrich your own life as well as the lives of others. As well as providing welfare and security for yourself and your loved ones of course, but I'm focusing more on the creative arts.

Money is a completely arbitrary idea. What's important is enriching people's lives spiritually and intellectually by using that money to fund creation, not money to fund the generation of more money; an utterly meaningless pursuit.

Message 46 of 51 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

Nov 20, 2012

Well that's a rotten attitude. You should send a CV into Activision, you're just what they're looking for. I'm sure you'd be right at home at their coke parties, I hear they freebase it with 100 dollar bills.

Money shouldn't be made for money's sake, that's a completely vacuous and absurd idea. It should be a tool to create unique experiences for yourself and for the wider community. To enrich your own life as well as the lives of others. As well as providing welfare and security for yourself and your loved ones of course, but I'm focusing more on the creative arts.

Money is a completely arbitrary idea. What's important is enriching people's lives spiritually and intellectually by using that money to fund creation, not money to fund the generation of more money; an utterly meaningless pursuit.

I don't think thats a rotten attitude at all. My life won't be enriched spiritually without an income flow. These overarching companies: Activision, Sony, Microsoft, EA, Capcom, Square Enix ect. all need a steady flow of money to fund the smaller subcompanies within them to produce those enriching experiences. All I'm saying is that if Capcom wants the new Dante in this fighter they should get it. There is no principle to be fought over there. 

I realize that making money for money's sake isn't a meaningful pursuit but making it for a reason is. These companies have employees to pay and those employees have mouths to feed. If someone at some top level somehow decides that Raiden is the best character to offer Sony for All-Stars and that it will subsequently fuel an interest in their upcoming game, hows is that bad? Those people making Rising need jobs too. 

No one complained when Nintendo put all these out of date characters into their game. These were obvious inclusions to promote a rebooting of several franchises. How is that any different? Is the only difference that people like Pit and Ike?  What about when they abondoned Ocarina of Time Links and updated them to the newest versions? What's the difference there? 

Perhaps I'm being unreasonable, but all the questions I pose here are valid in my opinion. Once again, I'm certaintly not against intellectualism and creativity. I'm just realistic and realize that economic security has a way of fostering these things. Look at Sony's "indie" library. They wouldn't have been funded if Sony didn't go about some mildly displeasing methods of making some money. 

Message 47 of 51 (64 Views)
Sackboy
595 posts

Nov 20, 2012
I feel the same thing about raiden. He was hated in mgs2 as the biggest bait and switch character of all time and got the gray fox treatment and different voice and was a little better received. He gets a new game as a ninja that isn't even out yet and still gets in over snake and big boss. If they could not get snake why not big boss? Since they like advertising they could di big boss and advertise mgs ground zeroes.
Solid Snake/ Big Boss for PSASBR

I make it rain with Kudos

Message 48 of 51 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Nov 20, 2012

fontbonne wrote:
I feel the same thing about raiden. He was hated in mgs2 as the biggest bait and switch character of all time and got the gray fox treatment and different voice and was a little better received. He gets a new game as a ninja that isn't even out yet and still gets in over snake and big boss. If they could not get snake why not big boss? Since they like advertising they could di big boss and advertise mgs ground zeroes.

You have to think like it's 2010.  Ground Zeroes likely didn't start development until after Raiden was already picked up.  If that's not the case, I can guarantee it is for Dante, and ESPECIALLY for Heihachi.  If this game had started development this year, we wouldn't have Heihachi, because Namco would've backed out of a deal to work with Nintendo on Smash 4.  Old Dante died when MvC3 came out in 2011, because that started development before New Dante existed.

When you look at it by the development schedule, all of the characters make much more sense.  That's why we got CiT Ratchet, Sly 4 Sly, Uncharted 2 Drake, New Dante, Raiden, etc.  I'm not going to justify whether Sony should've allowed some characters or not, but I will justify why the third parties gave the ones they gave.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 49 of 51 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Nov 20, 2012
These points are stupid....this guy's hating on the third party support like a child.
Message 50 of 51 (38 Views)
0 Likes