Highlighted
Nov 20 2012
By: Bladecatcher77 Hekseville Citizen 277 posts

6/10 Review that sort of makes good points (non-gameplay)

50 replies 841 views Edited Nov 20, 2012

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/playstation_allstars_battle_royal_review.html

"A very special thank you to all of the PlayStation fans," declares the game's credits. But such sentimental reverence rings a little false in a game that seems more keen to peddle the upcoming wares of third-party publishers than pay tribute to the acts that have defined Sony's golden goose. This is a game that's happy to show Capcom's new Dante, currently the unproven star of an uncertain but imminent 360/PS3 reboot, rather than the old Dante that helped define the early days of the PlayStation 2. Such decisions feel cold and cynical, as if the game is a premium advert for upcoming titles mandated almost solely by the demands of executives. I wouldn't even be surprised if the game's title screen was using subliminal messaging to flash "PRE-ORDER METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE NOW" into my brain."

"Or, hey, there's BioShock's Big Daddy for some reason - currently the only fruit from a partnership between Sony and 2K that isn't Ken Levine pretending to look interested during Sony's E3 2011 press conference."

"SuperBot seems prepared to double-dip into BioShock Infinite's Columbia, a locale nobody has ever associated with the PlayStation in its entire storied history, for its inspiration."

All excellent points. Points we're all familiar with, but phrased in a very persuasive way. I'm not blaming Superbot for anything here, but it's the opportunistic game companies who have twisted this game for the sake of their own fiscal agendas. Superbot and Sony should have been more strict. This isn't something you should just shrug off btw, this is pretty much just exploitation.

Still, hopefully the game gets plenty of DLC.

Message 1 of 51 (841 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1735 posts

Re: 6/10 Review that sort of makes good points (non-gameplay)

Nov 20, 2012

I still don't understand why we get Emo Dante rather than the established PS2 version.

Message 2 of 51 (816 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14612 posts

Nov 20, 2012

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13 wrote:

I still don't understand why we get Emo Dante rather than the established PS2 version.

What is there to not understand? Capcom chose the version. It would help sell the new game. And the Emo thing got cut down since it was first shown off.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 3 of 51 (804 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

Nov 20, 2012

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13 wrote:

Ninja Theory's call, not Superbot's.

Message 4 of 51 (803 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14612 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 20, 2012

Levi_Skardsen wrote:

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13 wrote:

Ninja Theory's call, not Superbot's.

Capcom's call. Ninja Theory does not own the IP. They are simply a developer

Message 5 of 51 (787 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Nov 20, 2012

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13 wrote:

because of capcom, personally i dont think its that bad, hes still really fun to play as

http://xat.com/the_brotherhood_of_gaming

Message 6 of 51 (774 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1735 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 20, 2012

OK, let me clarify. Why would Superbot choose to allow the unreleased Emo Dante when they were claiming PSASBR is a celebration of Playstation's expansive past - not their shared with Microsoft 3rd party future. Classic PS2 exclusive Dante > Emo Dante

Edited for inflammatory content.

Message 7 of 51 (769 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14612 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 20, 2012

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13 wrote:

OK, let me clarify. Why would Superbot choose to allow the unreleased Emo Dante when they were claiming PSASBR is a celebration of Playstation's expansive past - not their shared with Microsoft 3rd party future. Classic PS2 exclusive Dante > Emo Dante

Thanks for calling me a censor. This game is a celebration of the past, present, and future. Columbia from Bioshock Infinite is in this too, but you do not seem worried about that one. Dante is a great fit into the game and the new DMC looks really good.

Message 8 of 51 (759 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 20, 2012

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13 wrote:

What's with the unnecessary hostility?

Message 9 of 51 (743 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 20, 2012

bob-maul wrote:

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13 wrote:

Thanks for calling me a censor. This game is a celebration of the past, present, and future. Columbia from Bioshock Infinite is in this too, but you do not seem worried about that one. Dante is a great fit into the game and the new DMC looks really good.

^ this, at least we have dante. id rather have new dante than no dante. god same people complaining about fat princess and evil cole. i guess theyd just rather have 17 characters, because no. they wouldnt get replaced, and no they dont take the spot of another character.

http://xat.com/the_brotherhood_of_gaming

Message 10 of 51 (740 Views)
0 Likes