Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 17 2013
By: firemyst First Son 4 posts
Accepted Solution

PS4 getting stuck in standby mode

55 replies 36284 views Edited Nov 17, 2013

Curious if anyone else is having this issue. Over all the PS4 has been working fine for me. But now I've found that if I put it in standby mode, after a while the console won't power back up. I try using the controller and it just flashes like its trying to find the PS4. Also when I try to remote connect with my Vita (which worked before) it keeps looking for a PS4. When I hit the actual power button on the PS4 nothing happens and the unit just pulses white. 

The only way I can fix it is by unplugging the power connector, and then it will power back up when I plug it back in and hit the power button. Though when I do that, the PS4 goes through its diagnosis as if I pulled the plug while the console was on and in the menu. 

Just curious if theres a fix for this yet? Turning the PS4 totally off has no issues.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 56 (36,284 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Re: PS4 getting stuck in standby mode

Nov 17, 2013

Bump

Message 2 of 56 (36,273 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 19, 2013
im having the same problem, is the top blinking white?
Message 3 of 56 (36,232 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Nov 19, 2013
Im having the same issue. The thing I'm not sure about is of the standby orange pulses or is supposed to stay solid. I think the tunes it's frozen on me the light was solid. It was pulsing this morning and I had no issues.
Message 4 of 56 (36,214 Views)
Splicer
49 posts

Nov 27, 2013
I have the same issue since I upgraded the hard drive. If it is in standby for a prolonged period (seems to be anything greater than 6 to 8 hours) I can wake it with a controller. However it gets the pulsing blue light and never outputs a signal. I have to go and hold the power button until it turns off completely. Then it will reboot normally and work fine until the next lengthy standby.
Message 5 of 56 (36,122 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2013

i have some bad news guys, this exact thing happen to me and i had to send my system to sony. it was declared defective, so dont think there is a fix.  my ps4 worked fine for 3 days, then after leaving in standby mode for 8 hours it had the white light without the video working. i spoe to the customer rep and we spent hour trying to fix it, but nothing worked.

Message 6 of 56 (36,114 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Nov 27, 2013

I am going to downgrade my HDD upgrade first.

I am wondering if the new HDD has some issue with standby mode that the PS4 can't wake it properly.  I used an SSHD Hybrid drive, and maybe its power save is being wonky.

If I don't have the issue with the stock drive, I am more likely to point my finger at the HDD than the console itself.

Message 7 of 56 (36,092 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Nov 27, 2013

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have the blinking blue light issue or no video output, do you have your PS4's plugged into an AV/surround sound receiver via HDMI? There seems to be some sort of HDMI handshake issue with a lot of different brands of receivers (Denon, Sony, RCA, etc.). See this thread:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/PS4-and-Denon-receiver-not-playing-nice...

And also another one I started before I found the above thread:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/PS4-BLOD-Issue-with-AV-Receivers/td-p/4...

Message 8 of 56 (36,083 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2013

My system is plugged in via an HDMI switcher, that connects to a receiver.

My experience may be slightly different as I have upgraded my HDD.  Which I am thinking may be the culprit.  I won't know until tomorrow morning if switching it back to the stock harddrive fixes my issue. 

EDIT:

If it wasn't clear, I didn't have the issue with the stock drive using the same HDMI Switcher - Receiver - TV setup

Message 9 of 56 (36,062 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2013

Ah, okay. Yeah, I'd say if you didn't have the issue with the original HDD and the issue goes away again after re-installing the original HDD then you've probably found the culprit. Out of curiosity, what brand/model SSHD did you get? I was thinking about getting the 1 TB SSHD that Seagate makes.

Message 10 of 56 (36,057 Views)