Monster Hunter
35 posts

Re: PS4 audio problems

Nov 18, 2013

you think it may be the game causing it some how? I have only played 2k11 so far and I cant get 2min into the game without audio issues.  I havent tried other games yet.  My friend has the same setup and he has no issues with 2k11, He said his started when he played Warframe.  I currently routed my HDMI cable through my receiver instead of the optical and its been fine so far.  Also the guy I was talking to on the phone said that this issue is not documented and they have no idea that was happening (the guy i was talking to was on my side but his manager is the one that told him how to responde to me).  so please call in so they can realize its a real issue.  I was also going to swap the game out and see what happens, ill let you guys know.

Message 11 of 549 (3,998 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 18, 2013

I had a chat with someone earlier who essentially had me uninstall the game. Rebuild the database through safe mode, reinstall the game, then try again. It cut out once more after that, so I performed my fix as stated above and it worked for the rest of the game. I'm going to keep calling them when it's occuring if it continues and i recommend we all do. If a lot of people complain, they'll have to patch it.

Message 12 of 549 (3,990 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 18, 2013

I believe it might be tied to the game yes. Sorry i didn't see your response until after i posted mine. I think something with the way the audio is handled in that game is problematic. So I'm hoping at some point it's fixable through a patch. If you have them, try Resogun, Battlefield 4, or Killzone...I have had no problems with those. Let me know how your testing goes.

Message 13 of 549 (3,986 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 18, 2013

*Workaround*

I've been experiencing the exact same issue when playing NBA 2K14 and I 'think' I found a workaround.  It's not the best solution but at least for me, this issue only occurs when Audio Format on my PS4 is set to Bitsream (Dolby) or Bitstream (DTS).  I cannot reproduce this issue when Audio Format is set to Linear PCM.  Give it a shot and let us know if you get the same results.  Here's how you set audio format to Linera PCM.

1. Go to Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings > Audio Format (Priority)

2. Change it to "Linear PCM"

Notes:

- I'm running Digital Out Optical to an Onkyo TX-SR674 Reciever.

- I have not tried running my audio through HDMI yet.

- Repro rate is 100% and I can only reproduce this issue when playing NBA 2K14.  Issue doesn't occur with Killzone, FIFA, or Resogun.

- This may actually be an NBA 2K14 bug for 2K to fix but I can't get on their forums because their foum registration hyperlink is broken.  Someone please post this bug to 2K's forums.  Thx!

Message 14 of 549 (3,977 Views)
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Nov 18, 2013

you are correct, I found that PCM works fine, its only when switched to one of the bitstream options is when the problem occurs.  I played 2k14 a littlie more tonight through HDMI and I herd a quick glitch in the crowd only about 3 time during the entire game, but it never stuttered.  The funny thing is one of my friends have 2k and have his ps4 connected the same way with no issues at all, tomorow Im going to try and swap 2k for a new one and see what happens.  I just purchased killzone and BF4 so I will give that  shot tomorrow.

Off topic

Is BF4 any good?

Message 15 of 549 (3,962 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 18, 2013

BF4 is good when it works...its admittedly crashed on me a few times but i've also had several hour sessions with no issues with that game. Aslo I'm seeing more and more posts about the audio cutting out which is good. I may need to hop on the 2k sports forums and start a thread on that side.

Message 16 of 549 (3,947 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 19, 2013

Yeah, please do Objeckshun.  I still can't get on to 2K's forums and I really think this may be a 2K bug.  They may be quicker to fix it than Sony.  That and they'll also push Sony if they require Sony's support.

Message 17 of 549 (3,926 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 19, 2013

I hadn't had any problems till I loaded warframe.  As someone suggested on another thread I had put my reciever to DTS mode, which was working fine with Black Flag.  However, as soon as I loaded warframe the sound was skipping and cutting out at random.  I set it back to linear PCM and that eliminated the audio stutter with warframe.

Someone said surround wasn't working on Linear pcm, but it appears to be working for me in 5.1.

I see some other people mentioned this just above.  Also I see mention of Optical.  Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't bitstream impossible over optical, or is it PCM?  There's something I thought optical couldn't do that hdmi could.

If I had to make a guess reading this.  It would be that the DTS setting is buggy and tries to switch back and forth with certain games.  Since the settings list says "priority" on it.  My console came defaulted to linear PCM and I've always used linear PCM cause I have an old fat PS3 that can't do bitstream.

Message 18 of 549 (3,925 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 19, 2013

I too am having this same issue.  My receiver does not have HDMI so my only option is the optical which will cut out in NBA2K every time.  Have to go into PS4 menu and switch audio output type and it will work fine again for a while.

Message 19 of 549 (3,912 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Nov 19, 2013

Bitstream is Dolby Digital and DTS, which can go over optical.  HDMI can do Lossless audio which would be DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD, which optical cannoy do.

This has to be the games causing it, I just played BF4 and Killzone for an hour each with no issues, put in 2k14 and the stuttering started.  A friend of mine played a few games of 2k14 over optical and said he wasnt having any issues, he downloaded and played warframe and the stuttering started, then 2K started stuttering on him.  hopefully they will fix this soon. If i didnt stumble onto this forum I would has taken the PS4 back as I thought I was having issues with my console.

Message 20 of 549 (3,907 Views)
0 Likes