Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 16 2013
By: Joystick_Warrior PlayStation Support 3774 posts

[INFO] Proper Seating of PS4 Hard Drive

[ Edited ]
41 replies 25518 views Edited Nov 16, 2013

Hey all. We've noticed users mentioning issues with the PS4 including possible HDD issues. Some have reported not having the PlayStation screw attached to the hard drive cage. A safe self-troubleshooting step to possibly resolve some issues is to confirm the hard drive is securely and firmly installed into the PS4.

NOTE: Opening the top area of the PS4 explained below will NOT void your warranty. 

To do this you can remove the top area of PS4 pictured here and follow these steps:

1. Make sure the PS4 it turned completely off. When the power indicator is off, the system is completely off. If the power indicator is lit up in orange, the system is in standby mode. Exit standby mode.
  2. Unplug the AC power cord, and then disconnect the other cables from the system.
  3. For safety reasons, remove the plug for AC power cord from the electrical outlet, and then detach the other cables.
  4. Slide the HDD bay cover in the direction of the arrow to remove it.

PS4 HDD

After opening the top of the PS4 check and make sure the hard drive is firmly and securely installed into the PS4. If it is loose this may be causing some issues with the PS4. 

In addition you should see a PlayStation screw pictured here. It will have the 4 PlayStation button symbols on it, X, Circle, Triangle, and Square: 

screw

If the screw is missing then you will need to contact us through these channels here: 

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options

For more info visit the Knowledge Center here: 

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5107

J_W

^^^^^^Click to contact Support^^^^^^

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 42 (25,518 Views)
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Re: [INFO] Proper Seating of PS4 Hard Drive

Nov 16, 2013

I did contact support and was told I could not have a new screw even if I wanted to buy it. What if I simply lost the screw changing the hdd . You mean I cant even buy a replacement part even if its Sonys fault?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 42 (25,475 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
4731 posts

Nov 16, 2013

ambient_enigma wrote:

I did contact support and was told I could not have a new screw even if I wanted to buy it. What if I simply lost the screw changing the hdd . You mean I cant even buy a replacement part even if its Sonys fault?

Hi ambient_enigma,

We saw your earlier forum thread and we're looking into it.  Thanks!

U--J 

PlayStation Moderation and Support Guy @ www.playstationsupportforum.com
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 42 (25,433 Views)
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Nov 16, 2013

thank you. I will wait until I hear someting.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 42 (25,407 Views)
Monster Hunter
30 posts

Nov 16, 2013

The screw doesn't look like it's magic.  Just use a screw of the same size/thread and enjoy the PS4 while you wait for Sony to get back to you.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 42 (24,731 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
834 posts

Nov 16, 2013

I strongly agree you should be carful when installing your new Hard Drive, make sure you have the larger of the two updates from the Playstation site the 900 size download not the 300 the 900 is for a brand new Hard Drive. I went with a Seagate 1TB HD and at first it would not work I then realized the thumbdrive was a tiny bit to fat so put it on a different thumbdrive and at the same time I took the cover back off took the new HD out again and gently and firmly lined it up and made sure it slid back in perfectly.  After this I went back to the SafeMode menu and started over I got a message saying their was an error so i used the restart option which rebooted the system and that is when it took the USB info and sucked it into the PS4 after it finished loading to 100% the system restarted and bam it worked, so happy.

RISE_UP44
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 42 (24,283 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Nov 16, 2013

i dont see a 900 one? u got a link?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 42 (24,152 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
17354 posts

Nov 16, 2013

PeaWee wrote:

i dont see a 900 one? u got a link?

I'm assuming (I know) you mean the update? It's right on this site at the bottom of this page. Here ya' go.

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/pc_update/index.htm#installationSteps

That's the one to use if you upgraded the HDD.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 42 (24,141 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Nov 16, 2013
nevermind i found one. thx i never would of looked till i saw your post
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 42 (24,119 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 16, 2013

i had this problem. system would not boot in any fashion. got the message:

Cannot start the PS4
Cannot access system storage
Press the power button for 1 second (until the system beeps) to turn off the PS4
(CE-34335-8)

it did turn out the hard drive wasnt pushed all the way in and te "playstation" screw that holds it there as missing. pushed it in and used another screw i had and now it works. Thank god for this guys site below as its the only one that pops up when you google that error number.

Visit Phyrra.net to read more http://www.phyrra.net/2013/11/fixed-doa-ps4-wouldnt-boot.html#ixzz2kp5gqKbx 

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 42 (24,052 Views)
0 Likes