Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 18 2013
By: Adam_Nox First Son 17 posts

How am I the only one outraged that I can't use a dualshock 3 for a second controller?

[ Edited ]
6 replies 336 views Edited Nov 18, 2013

I find only the briefest mention of dualshock 3 incompatibility on FAQ sites, and then nothing... really? Outside of rare situations that would require the touchpad, why the heck can't we use our old controllers? It's nothing but a moneygrab.

The ds4 is great and all, but it's not perfect. For one, the trigger buttons are hard to operate while having the tip of your thumbs on the sticks, the handles will slip around in your hands while doing this. Luckily, I use L1 R1 for aim/fire so it's not as big of a deal, but I don't know how they ended up making it so awkward.

Back on topic, this is seriously BS. I understand no BC. I am forgiving for now the complete lack of demos, minis, ps1 and ps2 classics available (which via software emulation should have been no sweat). I don't even care that just like every other time, the release titles are slim pickings. I'm going to adapt to the fact that I can no longer use analog out audio for my simple 2 channel stereo receiver. And I am not going to make a peep about having to pay monthly for online gameplay, when PC gamers have never had to pay a dime to go through a gateway just to play with friends.

But there's no good friggin reason why DS3 controllers can't be used at the discretion of the game developer. If they want to disallow it, fine. But on what planet does anything think this makes sense and gets swept under the rug? These things are not cheap. I am an early adopter, like all of you, as I was with ps3, where I got stuck with 2 suxaxis controllers (also nicknamed sh1taxis by me and friends) because the sticks went to absolute crap after a couple years. So I bought two more. I have two move controllers, and two gun holders, and one nav controller. I have the ps eye of course.

I buy your stuff. Now let me use it when there's not a good reason to prevent me from doing so.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (336 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28655 posts

Re: How am I the only one outraged that I can't use a dualshock 3 for a second controller?

Nov 18, 2013

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

Adam_Nox wrote:
I find only the briefest mention of dualshock 3 incompatibility on FAQ sites, and then nothing... really? Outside of rare situations that would require the touchpad, why the heck can't we use our old controllers? It's nothing but a moneygrab. The ds4 is great and all, but it's not perfect. For one, the trigger buttons are hard to operate while having the tip of your thumbs on the sticks, the handles will slip around in your hands while doing this. Luckily, I use L1 R1 for aim/fire so it's not as big of a deal, but I don't know how they ended up making it so awkward. Back on topic, this is seriously BS. I understand no BC. I am forgiving for now the complete lack of demos, minis, ps1 and ps2 classics available (which via software emulation should have been no sweat). I don't even care that just like every other time, the release titles are slim pickings. I'm going to adapt to the fact that I can no longer use analog out audio for my simple 2 channel stereo receiver. And I am not going to make a peep about having to pay monthly for online gameplay, when PC gamers have never had to pay a dime to go through a gateway just to play with friends. But there's no good friggin reason why DS3 controllers can't be used at the discretion of the game developer. If they want to disallow it, fine. But on what planet does anything think this makes sense and gets swept under the rug? These things are not cheap. I am an early adopter, like all of you, as I was with ps3, where I got stuck with 2 suxaxis controllers (also nicknamed sh1taxis by me and friends) because the sticks went to absolute crap after a couple years. So I bought two more. I have two move controllers, and two gun holders, and one nav controller. I have the ps eye of course. I buy your stuff. Now let me use it when there's not a good reason to prevent me from doing so.

Regarding the above - TLDR, also hardly any punctuation, sentences etc, sorry just not reading that.

As for the title of your OP, the DS3 is for the PS3, the DS4 is for the DS4, PS3 EYE is for the PS3, the PS4 EYE is for the PS4, that's it in a nutshell.

Outraged, certainly not!

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (305 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5016 posts

Re: How am I the only one outraged that I can't use a dualshock 3 for a second controller?

Nov 18, 2013

well put brit

personally i love when games like knack let me use my vita for a second controller. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Nov 18, 2013

I, (along with a ton of other people,) have a bricked PS4 out of the box, and you're on here fussing about a PS3 controller not working on the PS4?!!  Hope you're not expecting a lot of sympathy.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (274 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Nov 18, 2013
Ok, I had punctuation, caps, etc. What I didn't have was paragraph breaks because this junky forum removed them. I didn't create that as a wall of text. My scriptblocker wasn't allowing scripts from external domains, which this forum utilizes for it's text editor.

Now... There's plenty of posts about rather trivial things that get plenty of responses. The way the cursor jumps around in the UI, sound issues, and ZOMG my fan got loud. So give me a break. I'm not comparing it to bricking. Get serious.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
430 posts

Nov 18, 2013

Im guessing its because they recalibrated the dualshock 4's analog sticks (remember ps2 --> ps3 sticks were more sensitive), and it has a lot of things that are missing.)

The rumble is probably processed differently, and the signals are probably sent in a different protocol/format. 

Kudos are welcome

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Nov 18, 2013

The reason the other posts are getting responses is because those are about actual problems. You, expecting the PS4 to do something that Sony never claimed it could do, is not a problem.

So to answer your question; yes, you are probably the only one who is "outraged" over this.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (197 Views)
0 Likes