May 01 2014
By: sKills_Streak First Son 4 posts

Does PS4 need a mixamp for virtual surround sound?

9 replies 799 views Edited May 1, 2014
Yes I searched before posting (a lot, please help lol :smileyhappy:.

It's my understanding in the last generation of consoles the purpose of a mixamp such as the popular ASTRO and Turtle Beach amps, aside from various volume adjustments, was to code incoming sound from the console to virtual surround sound for the headset.

Now again, to my understanding the PS4 has surround sound settings, multiple in fact. I've yet to find if these include virtual surround sound..

Point being I am looking to purchase the ATH-ADG1 headset, and am scouring the internet to find out whether or not I will need a mixamp to enjoy virtual surround sound, or whether I just click it into the controller and change the setting in the PS4 itself.

I'd really appreciate some guidance.
Message 1 of 10 (799 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Re: Does PS4 need a mixamp for virtual surround sound?

May 1, 2014

Yes, just like the ps3.

Message 2 of 10 (789 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

May 3, 2014
Why doesn't the Gold Wireless headset need one then? I wish PS explained this in more detail, it's killing me lol.
Message 3 of 10 (779 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
106 posts

May 4, 2014
If you are looking to pair a headset with your PS4 depending on the power requirements of that headset plugging directly into the controller might not be enough to get adequate sound to the headset and I think it only supports 2.0 stereo pass through from the controller.

I am using a Astro MixAmp with sennheiser hd393 and although I haven't tried to run the headset directly to the controller having the added functionality of the Mixamp (I.e., preset equalization channels, mp3 support, and added power delivery, the ability to adjust game/voice levels through hardware) helps make everything sound a lot better. I would suggest if you can afford the Mixamp to get one.

The astro package comes with everything you need including a y adapter for the headset/mic and mp3 cable. It has been the best investment I have made to play on PS3/PS4.

Also the Gold headset accomplishes virtual surround because it comes with a USB dongle and software suit. My buddy has a pair and says they sound really good but he doesn't have all the features that the mixamp provides me so he's jelly :smileyhappy: also the adjustments and mic quality is poor on the Gold headset, whereas when ever a new member joins our chat they always how good my voice sounds. Another thing to consider is wireless interference which you won't have with the wired mixamp. if cable length is an issue they make 3.5mm extenders.

Sorry if I got a bit off topic but I am an advocate of pairing the mixamp up with a decent quality headset and playstations.
Message 4 of 10 (771 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

May 4, 2014
This was great, I hadn't even thought about an adequate power supply for the headphones. It seems obvious now that you mention it, that the dual shock 4 battery will not adequately power a decent pair of headphones. I will now happily invest in a mixamp to ensure true virtual surround sound, power, and features.

Thanks again for a thorough response.
Message 5 of 10 (767 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
106 posts

May 4, 2014
No problem. I am sure that you will love having the mixamp paired with your headset too. Another thing you'll love about it will be that you won't have to worry about compatibility issues or interference, it will just work and sound great.

I point this out because there are quiet a few people on these forums that seem to encounter audio issues when it comes to surround and amp compatibility. The mixamp eliminates any possible issues and adds the ability to listen to mp3 players while playing games, I love that I can listen to my music/podcasts and veg out while playing AC4 or BF4 but not have my game sound hindered and you can also adjust every setting to make it sound just right for you. No sound bleeding out or over bearing audio.

You're going to love it man.
Message 6 of 10 (762 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
127 posts

Oct 10, 2014

the reason gold doesn't need a amp is because it doesn't have as much electrical resistance aka ohms. more expensive headphones that have 150 ohms or more need more powerful things than an ipod which can only power 100 ohms to make it sound perfect. although i'm not sure how much a ps4 can power and ive been looking i could save so much money by not buying an amp if playstation  would release some specs or something.

also a list of requirements for good headphones http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/296352/what_do_headphone_specifications_mean_/

Message 7 of 10 (495 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
31 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 10, 2014

"the reason gold doesn't need a amp is because it doesn't have as much electrical resistance aka ohms"

That don't make no sense.....

Every headphone needs an amp. The amp for the gold headphones is built into the headphones. There's an amp in your cell phone. There's an amp in your home stereo. Without an amp you wouldn't get any sound. Wireless headphones have an internal amp.

The gold also has an internal DAC, which is likely bypassed if you use the headphone jack input, but I'm not going to write an essay about all of this. It's fully wireless with the PS4, so who cares anyways, unless you want to look a total nerd walking around town with them on your head.

Anyways, yeah, I doubt the amp in the controller would be very good for high resistance headphones, and it probably isn't even very good for low resistance headphones. The iphone sucks for headphones too. So does your favorite toy phone of choice.

Your best bet is to get something like the PX4, if you want dolby surround sound, a boom mic, and wireless support, but you'll need to connect them to the controller when you want to use your mic (the connection will only be for your mic at that point, as it will still use the internal headphone amp and radio signal to send the audio). It's inexpensive, and pretty decent for the value. 15 hours of battery life is longer than you should be playing, so there's no issue in that department. Most virtual surround sound is just a gimmick anyways, but if you want dolby surround sound, via headphones, just get a px4 for $100 and call it a day.

The golds are great too, but remember the mic is subpar to a boom mic, and they don't have a simple option for wireless connection to most TV's, for example, so expect to use it only for PS4 or PC use.

/that link is also one of the most basic junk articles I've ever read, just go to head-fi if you want to learn about high end headphones, from people that actually know what they're talking about

Message 8 of 10 (491 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10073 posts

Oct 11, 2014

Neuromancer1976 wrote:

"the reason gold doesn't need a amp is because it doesn't have as much electrical resistance aka ohms"

Every headphone needs an amp. The amp for the gold headphones is built into the headphones. There's an amp in your cell phone. There's an amp in your home stereo. Without an amp you wouldn't get any sound. Wireless headphones have an internal amp.

The gold also has an internal DAC, which is likely bypassed if you use the headphone jack input, but I'm not going to write an essay about all of this. It's fully wireless with the PS4, so who cares anyways, unless you want to look a total nerd walking around town with them on your head.

Anyways, yeah, I doubt the amp in the controller would be very good for high resistance headphones, and it probably isn't even very good for low resistance headphones. The iphone sucks for headphones too. So does your favorite toy phone of choice.

Your best bet is to get something like the PX4, if you want dolby surround sound, a boom mic, and wireless support, but you'll need to connect them to the controller when you want to use your mic (the connection will only be for your mic at that point, as it will still use the internal headphone amp and radio signal to send the audio). It's inexpensive, and pretty decent for the value. 15 hours of battery life is longer than you should be playing, so there's no issue in that department. Most virtual surround sound is just a gimmick anyways, but if you want dolby surround sound, via headphones, just get a px4 for $100 and call it a day.

The golds are great too, but remember the mic is subpar to a boom mic, and they don't have a simple option for wireless connection to most TV's, for example, so expect to use it only for PS4 or PC use.

/that link is also one of the most basic junk articles I've ever read, just go to head-fi if you want to learn about high end headphones, from people that actually know what they're talking about

Most head-fiers would tell you not to get the Golds or PX4's though. And Dolby Headphone helps a lot more with positional cues on open back headphones quite a bit better then on closed cans. And if somebody was to go the "Gamer" headset route, the PLYR1's perform better then both and even Mad Lust Envy recommends them in his guide.

Message 9 of 10 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
31 posts

Oct 11, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:

Neuromancer1976 wrote:

Most head-fiers would tell you not to get the Golds or PX4's though. And Dolby Headphone helps a lot more with positional cues on open back headphones quite a bit better then on closed cans. And if somebody was to go the "Gamer" headset route, the PLYR1's perform better then both and even Mad Lust Envy recommends them in his guide.

You either didn't read my post at all, or have an IQ < 80. Either way, you can take this over to head-fi with me, and I'll explain why you're an idiot. If not, try to read the post again, and stop being stupid.

Message 10 of 10 (467 Views)
0 Likes