Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 12 2009
By: milo175 First Son 1 posts

time limit

12 replies 3817 views Edited Nov 12, 2009
Is there a way to see how much time kids are spending on ps3? 
Message 1 of 13 (3,817 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Re: time limit

Nov 12, 2009
Do not believe so.
Message 2 of 13 (3,817 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9918 posts

Nov 12, 2009
I don't think so but there's always parental controls...
Message 3 of 13 (3,817 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
980 posts

Nov 12, 2009
yes there is . best of all ... it doesnt cost a thing and is very low tech . its a combination of awareness, attentiveness and proactive parental control .
" As much as I would like for people to communicate and use their mics it will never happen. Party chat insured that. " - as stated in a xbox forum concerning with cross game chat ruining team oriented gaming..... becarefull what you wish for .
Message 4 of 13 (3,817 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4913 posts

Nov 12, 2009

milo175 wrote:

Why?

I never understood why parents want to control how long their kids play their gaming consoles, use the internet or watch TV.

I say, if they're staying out of trouble, not doing anything illegal and doing their required duties (Chores, homework, etc).. let them do whatever they want in their free time.. as much as they want.

Limiting their time on recreational items just because is just over-controlling parenting.

BUT! To answer your question; No, there is no way other than being a good parent and paying attention to you kids.
Miss me? Come say hi over at my new programming project page, Retro-Pixel Castles.
Hopefully coming to Steam in 2015!
Message 5 of 13 (3,817 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4080 posts

Nov 12, 2009
No
Dopeboy_8732 Trophy Card

Message 6 of 13 (3,817 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
980 posts

Nov 12, 2009
Rayvolution wrote " Why?I never understood why parents want to control how long their kids play their gaming consoles, use the internet or watch TV.I say, if they're staying out of trouble, not doing anything illegal and doing their required duties (Chores, homework, etc).. let them do whatever they want in their free time.. as much as they want.Limiting their time on recreational items just because is just over-controlling parenting.BUT! To answer your question; No, there is no way other than being a good parent and paying attention to you kids. "

________________ ______________ ____________________ _________

Its not so much about "control " as it is about teaching " self - control " . its alot easier to prevent bad habits , through boundaries ,than it is to break bad habits through consequences . waiting untill or if the child gets themselves into trouble is a reactive aproach and usually comes too little , too late . a pattern of behavior has already been established and usually proves difficult to correct , after all waiting till little junior gets to 300 pounds and not so little anymore is much more difficult a problem to deal with AFTER THE FACT , than it is to create and implement rules that discourage the development of bad habits that that turned little junior into big junior in the first place . incidently , the limits i place on my children , i also place on myself . if i didnt , I would just be a hypocrite . My general rule is : No more than 2 hours of ps3 time at one time , after 2 hours then its time to go find something else to do for atleast 2 hours before they (or me ) can play again , unless the weather outside is crappy or we are playing games as a family , then the 2 hour time limit is relaxed a little . I enforce the limit on them and myself because it discourages the development of " obsessive " behavior patterns , that are difficult to break once developed . it also encourages them to get exercise after sitting infront of the tv for 2 hours.
" As much as I would like for people to communicate and use their mics it will never happen. Party chat insured that. " - as stated in a xbox forum concerning with cross game chat ruining team oriented gaming..... becarefull what you wish for .
Message 7 of 13 (3,817 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15608 posts

Nov 12, 2009

No. The PS3 parental controls can limit what children can watch or play, but not when, or for how long.  Even the Nintendo Wii doesn't have time-based parental control or monitoring.  Theirs is basically the same as the PS3s.  The console manufacturers generally believe that there is no substitute for adult supervision when it comes to how children spend their time on any activity at home.  The console manufacturers provide content controls because it protects them from liability if children access games or videos that are intended for older viewers.  The console manufacturers have never been held liable in the case where children are spending too much time playing video games, probably because there is no widely-accepted standard for how much is too much.

GKP

GKP
Message 8 of 13 (3,817 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
830 posts

Nov 12, 2009

gkpama00 wrote:

No. The PS3 parental controls can limit what children can watch or play, but not when, or for how long.  Even the Nintendo Wii doesn't have time-based parental control or monitoring.  Theirs is basically the same as the PS3s.  The console manufacturers generally believe that there is no substitute for adult supervision when it comes to how children spend their time on any activity at home.  The console manufacturers provide content controls because it protects them from liability if children access games or videos that are intended for older viewers.  The console manufacturers have never been held liable in the case where children are spending too much time playing video games, probably because there is no widely-accepted standard for how much is too much.

GKP

Actually, the Wii does have time-based monitoring. Check the menu's calendar, and you'll find it lists everything you played for how long on any day you turned the system on. It may not have time-based control, but the time monitoring still makes a parent's job a little easier (assuming they care to begin with). 

Message 9 of 13 (3,817 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
586 posts

Nov 12, 2009

Rayvolution wrote:

milo175 wrote:

Why?

I never understood why parents want to control how long their kids play their gaming consoles, use the internet or watch TV.

I say, if they're staying out of trouble, not doing anything illegal and doing their required duties (Chores, homework, etc).. let them do whatever they want in their free time.. as much as they want.

Limiting their time on recreational items just because is just over-controlling parenting.

BUT! To answer your question; No, there is no way other than being a good parent and paying attention to you kids.

cause homework comes first and ps3 does everything. . . . cept your homework

Minecraft Server The Republic of Dave
Message 10 of 13 (3,817 Views)
0 Likes