Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 16 2011
By: YodaKenobi First Son 2 posts

ps3 controller will not connect unless the ps3 is already turned on

4 replies 796 views Edited Dec 16, 2011

My ps3 slim has firmware 4.00.  If I turn on the ps3 using the ps button on my wireless controller, it turns on, but the controller never connects.  After the ps3 has started, I can press the ps button on a different controller and it does connect.  But the original controller still does not connect, unless I plug it in to the usb cord.

I found that if I turn on the ps3 using the main power button and wait until I see the text saying "press the ps button", then when I press the ps button on the wireless controller it does connect successfully.

I have read about this same problem in other discussions.  The same problem happened in firmware 3.10, and was apparently fixed in version 3.15.  I am using firmware version 4.00 and the problem has returned.

It is not a problem with the wireless controllers.  Again, if I turn on the ps3 using the button on the console and wait for it to start up, then I press the ps button on the wireless controller and it will connect successfully.  However if I use that same controller to turn on the ps3 it never connects.

Is this a bug in firmware version 4.00?

Does anyone know of a way to solve this problem myself?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (796 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4375 posts

Re: ps3 controller will not connect unless the ps3 is already turned on

Dec 16, 2011

It almost sounds as if the controller pairing process is timing out before the System has loaded up the Blue Tooth drivers. 

Can you power the system up from the PS button on the other remote?  Or is this affecting both remotes?

Be One With The Game.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (796 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 16, 2011

Hello Sarge,

I did a test using four PS3 wireless controllers.  Three of them are basic "Sixaxis" controllers.  One is a "DualShock 3" controller.  All of them are fully charged.  All of them have been synced to the PS3 using the USB cord previously.

Each time I would start with the PS3 turned off.  I pushed the PS button on the controller to turn on the PS3 system.  The system would turn on, and the PS3 controller would have all four lights just flashing.  Even when the PS3 finally gets to the login screen, the controller does NOT get connected to a specific number.

The results were the same with all four of my wireless controllers.  The same problem (controller did not connect) happened to all of them.

In each case, the PS3 took around 35-40 seconds from power-on until reaching the login screen.  I wonder if that delay is too long?  And maybe the controller pairing process has timed-out by then?  But, keep in mind that all four lights on the controller continue blinking forever.

After the PS3 is at the login screen, I can turn on any of the other controllers and they get connected to a number right away.  But the original controller that was used to turn the system on still shows four blinking lights.  Even if I set it down and leave it there for a long time, the controller does not time-out or turn off.  The only remedy is to connect that controller to the USB cable and then it connects and gets a number right away.

This is a new problem, so I am wondering what has changed recently.  I have had this PS3 system for over a year and never had this controller problem before.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (796 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4375 posts

Dec 16, 2011

It may sound cliche, but call Sony.

This may very well be a repeat of an earlier problem with the firmware.  And although there may be no way to fix it right now.  If Sony knows that the problem has cropped back up again, they can fix it in the next FW update.

Be One With The Game.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (796 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15234 posts

Dec 17, 2011

Have you ever tried using the reset button?

I've had a similar issue.

After charging, the controller would not sync up after disconnecting the cable. I would have to turn off the controller via xmb and then disconnect and then the controller would properly sync. After pressing the reset button, i would sync the controller using the usb cable and then pressing the PS button and all has been well. This is also on the original sixxaxis

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (796 Views)
0 Likes