Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 15 2011
By: my20RedNinja08 First Son 4 posts

internet speeds and the PS3?

7 replies 2585 views Edited Sep 15, 2011

I just upgraded my internet to 50Mbps. Heres my problem, I get the 50mbps on my PC, but on my PS3 i can only get 12.6Mbps by ethernet, or 11.7Mbps by Wi-Fi. Is there a fix to this problem? Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks In advance,

Ric

email: loanmajic1@yahoo.com

Message 1 of 8 (2,585 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25217 posts

Re: internet speeds and the PS3?

Sep 16, 2011

You've made three topics all with the same subject line, and the same body. The answer isn't going to be any different.

Message 2 of 8 (2,585 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
306 posts

Sep 16, 2011

i have the same thing with comcast..the best speed i get is 17-20mbps download and right around 10mbps upload I got more speed by opening psn ports on my router config and setting up an ip add only for the ps3, before i did that i was getting the same speeds that you are.. when psn is busy on a friday night you will see the speed drop but its just the servers with sony.. so tweek your router and you should get alittle more out of it.you will never get the speeds that u you get with a PC on your PS3...but its alot better than half the uys in the network connecting @ kbps

Message 3 of 8 (2,585 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1847 posts

Sep 16, 2011

when it gives you the speeds it even tells you its basically a rough estimate and you shouldn't necessarily go by it, you want to know the speed of your connection being provided by comcast or other isps than use speed test on your pc.

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars
Message 4 of 8 (2,585 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Sep 16, 2011

For such high speeds you don't want to use wireless. It's just not fast enough. Make sure that you have a least a 100Mb/s or 1Gb/s wired connection with a cat5e cable for best results.

PS4-Hacks.com - PS4 News and Rumors
Message 5 of 8 (2,585 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
877 posts

Sep 16, 2011

my20RedNinja08 wrote:

I just upgraded my internet to 50Mbps. Heres my problem, I get the 50mbps on my PC, but on my PS3 i can only get 12.6Mbps by ethernet, or 11.7Mbps by Wi-Fi. Is there a fix to this problem? Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks In advance,

Ric

email: loanmajic1@yahoo.com

Welcome to the forums!

I don't know how to explain this in an efficient way, so bear with me here.

When you have an internet speed of 50Mbps, you won't be getting 50Mbps whenever you click a link. What's returned to you is based on the host server. Which is typically far less.

With that in mind, don't hurry and downgrade your internet service. Your internet speed will benefit you greatly if multiple people use the internet (no lag between users), and if you torrent (legal, of course ).

Sig 1 PNG
Message 6 of 8 (2,585 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Sep 16, 2011

How are you measuring that speed?

If you are using the built-in Network Test, it is very unreliable. It usually tells me my Internet speed is only 3mbps, but my downloads from PSN are way faster than that. As it says on the test page, the speeds are only an estimate and should not be used for diagnostic or testing purposes.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 7 of 8 (2,585 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Sep 17, 2011

I Normally only have 3Mbps to 6Mbps up and down depending on bandwidth usage in area.

(I mention usage because keep in mind, bandwidth is not all yours, it is the connection in your area and is shared by everyone around you.The system can only handle so much and the signal can degrade with distance. If you are in an older area with old connections, it is quite probable that the hardware in the area is outdated. Unless you can get your service provider to update your grid, you may always be limited in your connection speed. That is why the ISP's advertise that "you CAN have speeds UP TO" just depends on the infrastructure and number of connections using it.) ( I was able to set my clock by when the kids got out of school and went online when they got home in one area and bandwidth became nearly non-existent)

Anyway, I digress. I searched and found that a Gigabit wireless N router going through a 10 year old cable modem running DOCSIS 1.1 or 2.0 with a max of 30 Mbps total bonded, really does nothing for speed considering three other computers and 2 game consoles running on that connection. Got a new modem with DOCSIS 3.0 and went to 300Mbps capability. A big difference! more than doubled connections speeds. Who would have thought?

Go ahead and try the speed test however, all the tests you run, really do very little but to add confusion and they always depict a varience in connectivity speeds.

Got slow connection speed? Check your hardware and update your firmware or get new devices, until you are happy with the performance.

Thats all I have to say about that.

Message 8 of 8 (2,585 Views)
0 Likes