Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 20 2010
By: The_SchEMe Wastelander 792 posts

how to fix YLOD w/o being tech savy

8 replies 46 views Edited Mar 20, 2010

Before i begin I just want to say that this method isnt guareenteed, in fact this method is mostly meant for people who simply arent willing to pay for whatever reason they have. for some it has worked, for others it hasnt(WORKED FOR ME!). Well anyways its kinda like the towel trick for the 360, u put your YLOD ps3 upside down inside a box(i used my 60 gig ps3 box, but the smaller the box the better), then get a hair dryer and turn it on high, make sure the hair dryer is blowing on the back vents for 15 min(back and fourth motion). After get a fan to blow on the back vents for 20-30 min or until cool, then it should work. heres a vid for more details and vivid instructions. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHMW7XR59Fw

hope it works

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Re: how to fix YLOD w/o being tech savy

Mar 20, 2010

My PS3 just died of YLOD about 40 minutes ago. I've had it since June 6th 2007. I'm sad and mad. I may try this before I mess with Sony. I'd like to be able to back up a few saves and deactivate my system before I send it in. Man this sucks.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9575 posts

Mar 20, 2010

this foum really needs a negative kudos feature

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
792 posts

Mar 21, 2010

Ariiel wrote:

this foum really needs a negative kudos feature

???? just trying to help people out who have the ylod

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (46 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
991 posts

Mar 21, 2010

wow, interesting, a couple of people said this actually worked, i wish i could have tried it, i just bought a new slim tho

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Mar 21, 2010

From what I have read doing a Towel Trick "TYPE" of a repair is the WORST you could do to your system.

Your not letting the system breath. Its like closing your mouth & nose and telling you to try and breath.......Same kind of concept.

The reason for a towel trick is the "Reflow the chip" but it doesn't really do a good job and can actually cause more damage then good.

Real way @ fixing it is to either send it in or REFLOW the chips yourself the right away, Heatgun works with proper temp knowing what kind of solder Playsatation used then having your headgun set @ that temp's melting point. Heatgun is also a temp fix maybe for 1month - 6 months or more but way better then "towel type trick'

sorry to bust your bubble.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
792 posts

Mar 21, 2010

MKE46BMW wrote:

From what I have read doing a Towel Trick "TYPE" of a repair is the WORST you could do to your system.

Your not letting the system breath. Its like closing your mouth & nose and telling you to try and breath.......Same kind of concept.

The reason for a towel trick is the "Reflow the chip" but it doesn't really do a good job and can actually cause more damage then good.

Real way @ fixing it is to either send it in or REFLOW the chips yourself the right away, Heatgun works with proper temp knowing what kind of solder Playsatation used then having your headgun set @ that temp's melting point. Heatgun is also a temp fix maybe for 1month - 6 months or more but way better then "towel type trick'

sorry to bust your bubble.

like i originally said this trick is mostly meant for people who arent willing to pay and for people who arent tech savy. as for me once i get ylod again i will keep doing the same method until it stops working for good.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Mar 21, 2010

even if your not tech savy.......you might as well try to do it the right way since its already broken in the first place.

tools are cheap too and there is many, many TUT out there on how to take apart a PS3 but everyone is diff.

Like i said the towel trick type methods are not good for your system.

Just like driving your car with your tank almost empty..............bad for your injectors.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
792 posts

Mar 22, 2010

MKE46BMW wrote:

even if your not tech savy.......you might as well try to do it the right way since its already broken in the first place.

tools are cheap too and there is many, many TUT out there on how to take apart a PS3 but everyone is diff.

Like i said the towel trick type methods are not good for your system.

Just like driving your car with your tank almost empty..............bad for your injectors.

well it worked for me and others, i had nothing to lose because i wasnt going to buy a slim nor am i willing to pay the 180 only for it to crash again.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (46 Views)
0 Likes