Feb 26, 2009
I agree with you cardsfan2222
Message 11 of 22 (2,610 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Re: how to clean out the inside of the ps3

Feb 26, 2009

I'm assuming that the vents on the PS3 are there for cooling.  In order for that to actually work there must be a cool air intake and also a hot air exhaust.  This would imply that if you used compressed air to blow out the front vents (cold air intake) while the fans are going, the majority of the dusty air should be expelled through the hot air exhaust.

I understand that "some" of the dust could be pushed deeper inside but the majority of it should go out the exhaust.

Message 12 of 22 (2,610 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
186 posts

Feb 26, 2009

Frontlyna wrote:

DO NOT VACUUM IT!

The people saying to vacuum obviously don't know to much about the PS3 insides.
When you vacuum it can loosing some of the things inside, and this is due to the ammount of continues suction.
As you can see, were the vents are located, is were this is power supply wires, if you continusly vacuum, after awhile it will keep pulling, and eventuly pull out.
There is also things inside that can be damaged doing so.
The best way to clean the PS3, is get an air can, the ones they use to clean keyboards and computer tower vents.
This is an Air-Dusting Canister, and this is what I use, if you know anything about electronics you know not to use a vacuum, that is the dumbest thing to do.

So the can of air doesnt move the things ur talking about? since im guessing the can moves air harder/faster than the vac would.

Get your Portable ID!

640 gig slim
500 gig fat
PSP 3000
PS2 BIG and slim
PSN:CAGaHTN
Message 13 of 22 (2,611 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
288 posts

Feb 26, 2009

Frontlyna wrote:

DO NOT VACUUM IT!

When you vacuum it can loosing some of the things inside, and this is due to the ammount of continues suction.

I laughed. Hard. Since when an 11V vacuum can loosen some things inside the PS3? PS3 has ventilation holes and they do their job. Household vacuum is not a f---ing black hole. 

Message 14 of 22 (2,611 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2958 posts

Feb 26, 2009

Frontlyna wrote:

DO NOT VACUUM IT!

As you can see, were the vents are located, is were this is power supply wires, if you continusly vacuum, after awhile it will keep pulling, and eventuly pull out.
The best way to clean the PS3, is get an air can, the ones they use to clean keyboards and computer tower vents.
This is an Air-Dusting Canister, and this is what I use, if you know anything about electronics you know not to use a vacuum, that is the dumbest thing to do.

300ml Compressed Air Dusting, can be purchased at any store such as Wal-Mart, or any electronics store.

do not listen to this guy i have taken apart numerous PS3s and there are no wires exposed near the vents that will become damaged due to suction.  Any wires that are inside the PS3 are connected by locking clips and they wont become ripped out.  Besides you would have to have an industrial, superpowered machine to suck the wires out.. LOL 

000albert_pujols
albert
Message 15 of 22 (2,611 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4186 posts

Feb 26, 2009

Use of both perhaps? Blow the air in the general direction of the vacuum hose. That way you might get more stuff out?

Vacuum is the best way, though you shouldn't use this type of vacuum:

Message 16 of 22 (2,611 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1429 posts

Feb 27, 2009
Canned air and a vacuum (used with common sense) are both fine.  I've used them both on equipment a lot more expensive and fragile then the PS3 and have never had an issue.  Once my warranty was up I opened the PS3 and gave it a good clean out.
Message 17 of 22 (2,611 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15916 posts

Feb 27, 2009

Frontlyna wrote:

DO NOT VACUUM IT!

300ml Compressed Air Dusting, can be purchased at any store such as Wal-Mart, or any electronics store.

what the heck kind of thought process brought you to that conclusion?

Vacuuming is not going to pull anything loose, as all the connections snap tight, and a vacuum is not going to disconnect anything without physical force on the connector.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 18 of 22 (2,611 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4393 posts

Feb 27, 2009

Frontlyna wrote:

DO NOT VACUUM IT!

Are ya NUTS?? Look, bubba...

As opposed to a PC, the PS3 os NOT an "open concept" piece of electronics. That is, you can't open it up and remove components in order to clean them as well as the system. It's enclosed and opening the case will void your warranty. If you use compressed air, you run the VERY high risk of forcing dust and debris even deeper into the nooks, crannies and crevices of the system, making it harder harder to clean and increasing the likelyhood of your internal components getting too hot and failing due to the fact that dust acts as an insulator when it's accumulated and compacted into tight, enclosed areas.  If you vacuum once or twice a week, you can prevent dust and debris from building up deep in the system...therefore lowering the risk of the internal temp getting too hot and cooking your PS3 from the inside.

As for your SEVERE misconception that vaccuuming will loosen wires...you don't know much about electronics, do you? A vaccuum doesn't generate enough suction to loosen ANY wires that are soldered, clamped or welded. Nor does the vaccuum actually get close enough to the inner parts to ANY damage whatsoever. I have stereo components that are over 30 years old (probably older than YOU) that I have been vaccuuming regularly and they work as good now as they did DECADES ago. Why? because I can take the top casing off and get at the circuit board and get rid of any dust build-up. You can't do that with a PS3.

Using compressed air on PC's or electronics when they can be opened up and components can be REMOVED would be fine. However...the PS3 is a SEALED system (UNLESS your system is either past warranty or you simply don't care about having to pay for repairs if they're needed) and you can NOT open it up and take parts out to clean them individually so compressed air is NOT recommended to clean it.

THAT...my friend...would be the DUMBEST thing to do.

Message 19 of 22 (2,611 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
770 posts

Feb 27, 2009

Frontlyna wrote:

DO NOT VACUUM IT!

why kind of freaking industrial vacuum do you have that can remove smt soldered components from outside the machines vents. 

Compressed air INTO the vents is bad, sure it pushes a lot of dust out, but it also pushes a lot of dust deeper into the internals. 

The only time you want to use compressed air is if you've torn the ps3 down completely. And dont spin the fan with the air(hold the fan still), you risk damage. 
Message Edited by MalachiRuffy on 02-27-2009 07:52 AM
Message 20 of 22 (2,611 Views)
0 Likes