Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 26 2009
By: MrDove Lombax Warrior 178 posts

how to clean out the inside of the ps3

21 replies 32031 views Edited Feb 26, 2009

I recently had some remodeling done.  I tried to protect the PS3 but it still managed to get alot of dust and dirt on/in it.  The vents are all dusty and dirty. 

What can I do to clean the inside of the PS3 to insure that the dust doesn't cause any damage?  With my PC I have removable filters along with regularly cleaning off the heatsink and fans.

Message 1 of 22 (32,031 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
489 posts

Re: how to clean out the inside of the ps3

Feb 26, 2009
your going to have to wipe it down and clean it as good as u can from the outside so more crap doesnt get inside. Some say use a vaccum to suck the dust out but household vaccum cleaners are not strong enough to really do anything for getting dust out of the inside of the console. U might have to open it up and clean the stuff out if u think its bad enough to worry about.
Message 2 of 22 (32,031 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
791 posts

Feb 26, 2009
Vaccum it.. don't use the brush though...Static is bad.. just use the plastic hose.
80 gig Playstation 3 Motorstorm Bundle
40'' Sony Bravia W series
PSN JonathanATTY
Message 3 of 22 (32,031 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1292 posts

Feb 26, 2009
vacuum with plastic hose.
Original 60gb Ps3 11-17-2006
BR Drive Failure 9-25-08 (repaired by sony $150)

YLOD Victim 1-6-09 (repaired by myself $10)
BR Drive Failure 12-02-09 (repaired by myself $60)

Repaired over 100 RROD and 30 YLOD/Ps3 failures.
Message 4 of 22 (32,031 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3090 posts

Feb 26, 2009
If it's been longer than a year of owning it then take it apart like me and get into all the nooks and crannies. I did it and works flawlessly.
Message 5 of 22 (32,031 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Feb 26, 2009

DO NOT VACUUM IT!

The people saying to vacuum obviously don't know to much about the PS3 insides.
When you vacuum it can loosing some of the things inside, and this is due to the ammount of continues suction.

As you can see, were the vents are located, is were this is power supply wires, if you continusly vacuum, after awhile it will keep pulling, and eventuly pull out.
There is also things inside that can be damaged doing so.
The best way to clean the PS3, is get an air can, the ones they use to clean keyboards and computer tower vents.
This is an Air-Dusting Canister, and this is what I use, if you know anything about electronics you know not to use a vacuum, that is the dumbest thing to do.

300ml Compressed Air Dusting, can be purchased at any store such as Wal-Mart, or any electronics store.

PS Killzone2 Sig
Message 6 of 22 (32,031 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3090 posts

Feb 26, 2009
I've been vacuuming since launch buddy. It doesn't do any harm so I have no clue what you're trying to get across. My ps3 works perfectly fine.
Message 7 of 22 (32,031 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2490 posts

Feb 26, 2009

Frontlyna wrote:

DO NOT VACUUM IT!

When you vacuum it can loosing some of the things inside, and this is due to the ammount of continues suction.

As you can see, were the vents are located, is were this is power supply wires, if you continusly vacuum, after awhile it will keep pulling, and eventuly pull out.
The best way to clean the PS3, is get an air can, the ones they use to clean keyboards and computer tower vents.
This is an Air-Dusting Canister, and this is what I use, if you know anything about electronics you know not to use a vacuum, that is the dumbest thing to do.

300ml Compressed Air Dusting, can be purchased at any store such as Wal-Mart, or any electronics store.

If it's so horrible to vacuum it, why does the manual say to use a vacuum to clean it out?  I trust Sony more than you.  Also, wouldn't a can of air just push the dust farther into the PS3, instead of pulling it out?

Message 8 of 22 (32,031 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
76 posts

Feb 26, 2009
I got a little USB powered vacuum cleaner for christmas (I think it cost like $5) and it works great, just be careful and don't use a regular household vacuum if you don't have to, the electronic ones are a little less powerful and designed to be used around computers.
Who dares,wins!
Message 9 of 22 (32,031 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Feb 26, 2009

Frontlyna wrote:

DO NOT VACUUM IT!

from the ps3 knowledge center 

Vents

It is important to maintain your PLAYSTATION 3 system by keeping the vents on the system free of dust. Because dust can accumulate in the vents of the PLAYSTATION 3 system, we recommend that you check the vents periodically (and clean them if necessary). After turning off your system and unplugging it from the electrical outlet, you may remove any accumulated dust with the hose attachment of your vacuum cleaner or with a small handheld vacuum.

as you see sony recomends vaccumming the vents,,,,and i would never blow canned air into a closed unit like the ps3, its one thing to blow out a pc with the covers off, but to recomend blowing air into a closed unit with an optical drive inside?,,your just going to force dust into places it normally wouldnt get to,very bad idea

Photobucket
Message 10 of 22 (32,031 Views)
0 Likes