Mar 20 2009
By: UnitedEarth I Only Post Everything 1307 posts

Why Can't Developers Unlock The PS3's True Power?

18 replies 286 views Edited Mar 20, 2009
Well, today I was thinking of how powerful the PS3 is, according to many different people. So, it got me thinking: Why is is that developers can't fully unlock the RSX and the CPU to its full potential? Do they need to buy a devkit, which happens to cost over $10,000? I see no problem in that, because if you utilize the architecture of the CPU and GPU, the outcome will be millions of dollars from a well built game.
Message 1 of 19 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7781 posts

Re: Why Can't Developers Unlock The PS3's True Power?

Mar 20, 2009

Same reason why the US loses 2 billion dollars in productivity during March Madness, and the same reason why a car engine isn't 100% efficient.

Message 2 of 19 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
449 posts

Mar 20, 2009
its new technology, it'll be a while until the majority of developers get used to and it really start to utilize it... the next uncharted is supposed to use 80% of the ps3's power, so they're heading there. what exactly do you want though or expect? some games don't necessarily need to utilize all of that power. some games like ratchet and clank or say mgs4 are perfectly fine the way they came out and i'm pretty sure the developers didn't use up all the ps3's power....
Photobucket
Message 3 of 19 (286 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9781 posts

Mar 20, 2009

UnitedEarth wrote:
Well, today I was thinking of how powerful the PS3 is, according to many different people. So, it got me thinking: Why is is that developers can't fully unlock the RSX and the CPU to its full potential? Do they need to buy a devkit, which happens to cost over $10,000? I see no problem in that, because if you utilize the architecture of the CPU and GPU, the outcome will be millions of dollars from a well built game.

I'm guessing that GoWIII will be the first title that truly takes advantage of the hardware, considering that the game was supposedly almost ready to ship at one point last year, then was suddenly pushed back to a late 2009 release (and then again to 2010). My guess is that it was pulled for further 'refinements' that included upgrading the graphical elements of the game and probably to the gameplay engine itself.

Message 4 of 19 (286 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1307 posts

Mar 20, 2009
On a scale of 1-10, how much does COD4 use the PS3's power?
Message 5 of 19 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
88 posts

Mar 20, 2009

well i dont really think they can't(at this point) as much it would take a little while longer to make the games. what i mean im sure if they waited till 2010 to ship uncharted 2 then

the game would use more of the ps3 power.

after playing killzone 2, and playing some games on the box, i would the rest of the power to be put into either enhancing partical phyisics or AI instead of graphics.( there fine with me)

oh and also put more time into polishing and getting rid of popins instead of enhancing the engine

Message Edited by Greed779732 on 03-20-2009 04:23 PM
Message 6 of 19 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
708 posts

Mar 21, 2009

BBurgSteve wrote:

UnitedEarth wrote:

I'm guessing that GoWIII will be the first title that truly takes advantage of the hardware, considering that the game was supposedly almost ready to ship at one point last year, then was suddenly pushed back to a late 2009 release (and then again to 2010). My guess is that it was pulled for further 'refinements' that included upgrading the graphical elements of the game and probably to the gameplay engine itself.

Maybe.

But I'm betting that something more like Final Fantasy XIII will utilize the PS3's potential a bit more. I'm not saying God of War III won't use the CELL to its potential, but the Final Fantasy XIII seems like it'll be a more epic title (in terms of Blu-Ray disc usage, FMVs, game's length, etc).

God of War and God of War II pushed the PS2 pretty much to its limit probably because it was released pretty much in the latter portion of the PS2's life cycle (of actual new games being released; these days its just ports, compilations, and localizations of PS2 games that were released in Japan years before).

Message 7 of 19 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4084 posts

Mar 21, 2009

UnitedEarth wrote:
On a scale of 1-10, how much does COD4 use the PS3's power?

Not well, maybe 6-10, they dumbed it down for the PS3 version because it would lag to much. The 360 version unfortunatly is better but its not really noticeable. It could have been just as great as the 360 version, but again, bad porting, but much better than most games *Cough* Assassins Creed *Cough*

Message Edited by beta55 on 03-20-2009 05:45 PM
Message 8 of 19 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1979 posts

Mar 21, 2009
Message 9 of 19 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10211 posts

Mar 21, 2009

because thing that take time to learn dont happen overnight

we just got the first ligitamate sign of that with killzone

Message 10 of 19 (286 Views)
0 Likes