Dec 09 2008
By: Pro_Caliber First Son 24 posts

Whats a good Harddrive to upgrade the PS3 with? Also, what does a HDD contain?

9 replies 6 views Edited Dec 9, 2008

I've recently been looking into upgrading my 40gb PS3 with a 500gb Harddrive (or 320gb/something very big since its worth the money to go big) and Im looking for some help.

1.  Are there certain brands that are overall better to get (be it less risk of problems, cheaper price, more reliable brand)?

2. Are there brands that are same in quality but very different in price from one another?

3. I live in Canada so a Harddrive that I can get off eBay, or a local store (memory express, future shop, etc. would be best).

4. Some price ranges for 500gb 320 gb and other large HDDs so I have an idea hot much to spend.

5. Is 5400 RPM best, what about 7200 RPM, I read somewhere that 7200 RPM risks overheating or breaking PS3, is it just better to stick with 5400 RPM?

Also, I was wondering what data the HDD holds, I plan on using my ipod to transfer game saves but Im not sure if game data is part of the ps3/account and etc.

Games I own: Orange Box, Time Crisis 4, CoD4, CoD WaW, RSV 2, MGS4, Little Big Planet.
Mainly playing online right now: CoD4, Cod WaW, and Little Big Planet.
Looking for friends to add who are not jerks/immature, into the same games I am both online and/or offline, online at least once every week or 2. Pm me if I can add you!
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
234 posts

Dec 9, 2008
I'd say use a seagate, the 40gb hdd is a seagate. Try stores like Canada Computers, NCIX, depending on which part of Canada you are, I'm guessing Ontario? I wouldn't purchase a hdd from big stores like fs or bb, etc they usually more expensive. I bought my seagate 250gb at NCIX for about 63 dollars roughly 1.5months ago. You're going to need a 5400 RPM hdd the same size as an laptop hdd with sata.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (6 Views)
First Son
24 posts

Re: About buying a new HDD for your PS3

Dec 9, 2008
Your detailed and very thorough post will be most helpful in my search for a new Harddrive, thank you for the help!!
Games I own: Orange Box, Time Crisis 4, CoD4, CoD WaW, RSV 2, MGS4, Little Big Planet.
Looking for friends to add who are not jerks/immature, into the same games I am both online and/or offline, online at least once every week or 2. Pm me if I can add you!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Re: reply

Dec 9, 2008

Thank you for the help! Most Appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
577 posts

About buying a new HDD for your PS3

Dec 9, 2008

Hello fellow Canadian.  Nothing would make me happier than to help you out in choosing the right HDD and the right retailer.

Ok, so the basics:

About HDDs:

- Cache size is more important than rpm (7200 vs 5400), but often 7200 rpm drives have larger cache.  If you come across two 5400 rpm HDDs, choose the one with the larger cache size if your wallet permits.

- Anyone who says, "X company makes better drives" is lying.  No company makes better or worse drives, its all about what works for who and who tolerates what.  Its a preference.  To be honest, go with a known brand like Samsung, WD, Toshiba, Seagate, etc.  And if you really want to compare between two company's HDDs, check their offical website for info on heat dissipation, noise levels in dB, power use, etc.  But even those may be teaked by the company.

- 7200 rpm drives usually are a little hotter

- 500 GB may be overkill, and 250 GB may be the lower limit.  I;d say the best bang for you buck is a 320 GB, but prices always change...

Canadian SATA 2.5" Retailers

- I do not like eBay and the likes due to potential fakes or not having decent warranty, but whatever floats your boat

- Newegg.ca is over-rated, their have a smaller selection and often slightly higher prices, although browsing their site is easy

- TigerDirect.ca has a much larger selection with some cheaper prices sometimes so you have to look around (I once saw a 250GB SATA 2.5" HDD for $67 before tax and shipping, ... once)

- NCIX.com is probably the best in my opinion; they have a larger selection thab either ones above, have cheaper prices more often than not, and have sales and amazing deals every week.  I saw some pretty good deals there in my time while look for a new HDD.  However, if I may warn you, browing their siteisvery difficult to do unless you know exactly where to go and how to find it.  In other words, find a product is messy and their are only thumbnails for the "top 10 related products".

and now for the under dogs

- I bought my 320 GB Seagate HDD for 95$ Canadian, tax in, from a local computer parts franchise store called MicroBytes.  Their selection was huge and their were able to order from a large selection of resellers, so I was able to browse for the downright cheapest HDD.  If you can find a store similar to this near where you live, chances are they are your best bet since you will save a lot on shipping.

You're welcome,

Mike

Message Edited by gtabmx on 12-09-2008 12:09 AM
Message Edited by gtabmx on 12-09-2008 12:19 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (6 Views)
First Son
24 posts

Dec 9, 2008
Hm I think 500gb might be overkill, I would want the extra space just incase but I dont think I will ever need that much extra. I think 320gb is just the "perfect bang for my buck". I was looking at memoryexpress.com (really good computer products store recommended by a friend and its 15 mins drive from my place.) They have 320gb drives for about 95-100$. So far I havent found 500gb drives for much less than 130-150ish and thats not really worth the extra 180gb in my mind. 5400 RPM SATA 2.5 inch. Seems perfect.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
577 posts

Dec 9, 2008
Do it little man!  And you shall be free!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Dec 9, 2008

These are the 2 im looking at, trying to figure out the differences between the 2. I dont think I'll get a 500gb one unless I find one thats not too much more expensive from a local store.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX20124(ME).aspx

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX22026(ME).aspx

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
234 posts

HDD

Dec 9, 2008
I'd say go for the Momentus, it includes 5 years instead of 3 years warranty... other then that I don't see much difference cept I'm rooting more for Seagate
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1068 posts

Whats a good Harddrive to upgrade the PS3 with? a 2.5 SAT...

Dec 9, 2008

Whats a good Harddrive to upgrade the PS3 with? a 2.5 SATA would be my guess.

what does a HDD contain? data.magnets.multiple spindels. a motor of some sort.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (6 Views)
0 Likes