Sackboy
635 posts

Re: What ever happened BITS, From 8-bit to 16, from 32-bit to 128?

Aug 7, 2005

,Aleman wrote:
I still don't understand why you guys keep talking about bits... it doesn't mean anything.

that's blasphemey talk!
Please use plain text.
Message 51 of 53 (34 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3003 posts

Aug 7, 2005

,jaihawk wrote:
I thought the 'bits' when referring to consoles was the bus. The amount of information travelling in parrallel. Kinda like a 128 lane highway. Processor bits I think are the same thing (information lanes) but probably not what they were referring too. Somebody in here knows exactly but it aint me, and from what I read nobody else knows either. ,

That's kind of why the "bit" comparisons went away.  There was no determining factor as to what part of the system the bits were refering to, and some companies started to add different parts of the system together to increase the bit of the system(the jaguar added its two 32-bit processors to call itself a 64-bit system).  Bits have always been pretty irrelevant anyway, it was just used for the "dumb" public.,
Please use plain text.
Message 52 of 53 (34 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
635 posts

Aug 7, 2005

,null,

Steppy76 wrote:

That's kind of why the "bit" comparisons went away.  There was no determining factor as to what part of the system the bits were refering to, and some companies started to add different parts of the system together to increase the bit of the system(the jaguar added its two 32-bit processors to call itself a 64-bit system). 

,I'm so glad you said this because that's is exactly how i feel about the PSP, I read the specs and it says the main cpu is 32-bit. Then it also reads that the PSP has a 128-bit bus. Okay how different is that from the Jaguar that had two processors's nicknamed Tom & Jerry, one was 32-bit and the other acted as a co-processor and did 64-bit computation.

Please use plain text.
Message 53 of 53 (34 Views)
0 Likes