Jul 25 2010
By: SWEETGAMES Wastelander 771 posts

Weird YLoD

6 replies 12 views Edited Jul 25, 2010

Hi guys, its me again.  I got the YLoD on my PS3 fixed a couple weeks ago, and I just got it back three days ago.  It was fixed by a trustworthy company other than Sony that said that they fixed the problem permanently, no memory loss or anything (they were right about no memory being lost).  They said they did the reflow method, but put some coolant on the CPU and GPU in order to make sure it wouldn't happen again (at least, that's what I understood that they did; I'm not an incredibly technical guy so I didn't completely understand all the techno-crap they were saying).

I have been using it only for a couple of hours each day since I got it back.  However, today I turned it on and after maybe 3 minutes, the screen froze for a couple of seconds, then I saw the yellow light and then it turned to a red flashing light.  I immediately turned the switch in the back off, flipped it back on and pressed the reset button; it then proceeded to be like a normal YLoD.

I then decided to let the thing sit for 20 minutes, went back and tried to start it up again.  This time, it turned on for a few seconds, then the screen froze, I saw the yellow light and then the red flashing light.

Is this some kind of special YLoD, or do you guys think the coolant may be allowing it to turn on for a few seconds, but then it goes straight to YLoD?  Thanks to everyone that posts answers to these questions.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - SWEETGAMES
Message 1 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Re: Weird YLoD

Jul 25, 2010

That sounds normal to me, well, "normal" for that type of failure.

Power on, yellow light, red blink.

Most of the stuff I've read describes it that way. The brief yellow light is actually the combination of the green and red as the failure mode kicks in. Then the green turns off leaving only the red blinking LED.

And that company doesn't sound so "trustworthy" after all.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 2 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
771 posts

Jul 25, 2010

I know what the yellow light signifies, I mean the screen starts to turn on, then it freezes and then the screen goes black and I see the yellow light.  Imagine if you see the XMB on your PS3 just starting to load up, then freezing and going to black after about 5 sec.

Also, that company I had fix my PS3 is a pretty successful business, and the people working there have credentials and all kinds of tech degrees.  I also watched them do this whole process, step by step, and its exactly like all these Internet guides and vids show (except for the whole coolant thing, but I watched them do that too and it didn't look harmful).  They even gave me a 90-day warranty that lets me take it back for free if it breaks again (which it did).  It wouldn't still be open if they weren't doing their job right and ripping people off.

Message 3 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Jul 25, 2010

what company is it? i hear people use gophermods as an alternative to sony and ya whatever they did they didnt do it very well

Message 4 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
771 posts

Jul 25, 2010

Its called PSR.  Its a small company in Phillipsburg, PA.

Message 5 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Jul 25, 2010

LOL! So they used a heat gun, and you think that is reputable? Wow. You seriously PAID someone to do a "youtube" fix?

Newsflash, a reputable company would have special equipment to work on boards with surface mount components.

As you have found out (the hard way) the "youtube" fix is temporary. You will be taking it back to those clowns again... and again... and again...

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 6 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Jul 25, 2010

well they dont sound like a very good company for PS3 repairs at all i hope you didnt pay much look into gophermods if you dont want to go the sony route and dont want a new slim from what i read on the forums and reviews on gophermods website they do good work

Message 7 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes