Jan 01 2011
By: JNute3578 First Son 7 posts

Sony.....new controllers!!!!

49 replies 152 views Edited Jan 1, 2011

I am not an ungrateful person when it comes to the stuff that Sony has provided and I don't mean to sound like one.

But I think it is time for a new controller design. I understand that there are controllers out there for the ps3 but I

those controllers have their flaws from what I researched. Don't you think its time for Sony to create a controller

not necessarily like the Wii or the 360 but something that's comfortable and right for the human hands. It's the same

old design since PS. And with today's shooters on the market with serious players trying be the best I believe their

going to need the BEST controller for that game. Yes playstation move JUST released but how about something

that just involves relaxing and sitting down and playing a game. Is it just me?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 50 (152 Views)
I Only Post Everything
977 posts

Re: Sony.....new controllers!!!!

Jan 1, 2011

Ew, no. I like the controllers. Leave them be.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 50 (152 Views)
Splicer
58 posts

Jan 1, 2011

JNute3578 wrote:

I am not an ungrateful person when it comes to the stuff that Sony has provided and I don't mean to sound like one.

But I think it is time for a new controller design. I understand that there are controllers out there for the ps3 but I

those controllers have their flaws from what I researched. Don't you think its time for Sony to create a controller

not necessarily like the Wii or the 360 but something that's comfortable and right for the human hands. It's the same

old design since PS. And with today's shooters on the market with serious players trying be the best I believe their

going to need the BEST controller for that game. Yes playstation move JUST released but how about something

that just involves relaxing and sitting down and playing a game. Is it just me?

I think that's one of the biggest contradictions that I have seen, here in the community, thus far, if you're trying to be the best, then relaxation isn't involved, I don't care what activity it is, it requires a lot of work and effort, but if you're just trying to have fun, then that's when you can sit down, relax and play a game for its value, rather than bragging rights.

I actually like the controllers, though @_@

"Sweet responses are begotten from sweet words."
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 50 (152 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 1, 2011

The controllers do feel a bit small for adult sized hands.But now it's been used for many years,they can't exactly change the design without pissing off people who like it.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 50 (152 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1153 posts

Jan 1, 2011

They were considering boomerang controllers

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 50 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Jan 1, 2011

KawasakiRC wrote:

The controllers do feel a bit small for adult sized hands.But now it's been used for many years,they can't exactly change the design without pissing off people who like it.

Understandable @_@ I have small hands, though so...... comfort for me

"Sweet responses are begotten from sweet words."
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 50 (152 Views)
Gaming Beast
2321 posts

Jan 1, 2011

I hate to say this but, you could always get an adapter to run a xbox controller or even a keyboard.

I know most 3rd party controllers are crap, but there are alternatives.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 50 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7477 posts

Jan 1, 2011

A new standard controller is not necessary. There maybe some minor changes I could see as acceptable, but of all the controllers I've used in the past 25 years the PS1-3 design still outclasses what is out there. Changing button arrangement is a no go for me, between Xbox (S and Duke), GameCube, and N64 I don't see how change that would benefit me any and it is one of the smarter things Microsoft did with the X360 controller. Analog stick placement is perfect on the DS3 and having the battery internal has been a blessing in disguise considering the trouble the X360 controller causes me.

So what would I like to see?

1) Better hand grips, the ones on the controller now are fine and due a decent enough job, but I can't help but feel that no controller at this point has truly gotten them right. This needs to change, especially that edge between grip and face button surface area. This needs to be smoothed out and rounded into a natural arc or made a natural extension of the grip so that isn't there anymore.

2) Concave the analog sticks caps and coat with a better rubber to add higher friction between the thumb and stop of the stick. One or the other would be fine as well. I would be lying if I said I didn't find myself adjusting thumb placement mid match as a result of the analog sticks slipping due to sweat from my hands.

3) Pause, Play, Stop, Next, Previous, volume, control buttons for Custom Soundtrack modes. I shouldn't have to go to the XMB to manage something that can typically take the press of button in any other circumstance. Sad Irony of this request is that the PS Controllers Select and Start buttons were modeled with this functionality in mind lol (an assignable shortcut key wouldn't hurt either or a messages/invites key).

4) Interchangeable R2 and L2 trigger assembly. Expensive yes, but everyone has their own play style and the current triggers lend themselves well to certain players (like myself) and are hindrance to others.

5) This suggestion I'm a little iffy on requesting cause I don't want to find myself with double AA batteries ever being used. But ejectable battery packs and nothing as bothersome as what the competitors are doing that get in the way of my fingers or requires me to remove a rubber cover to get to the battery. I love the way the DS3 is now with batteries, but I think it is wasteful that I can't simply replace the battery only without a fuss. This is a small complaint given the current options in place, but I hate to think I'm out a controller if the battery goes south.

6) Better L3 and R3 buttons. As much as I like these buttons, they have become heavily used on PS3, far more than they ever were on PS2 or PS1. This has resulted in heavier wear and tear on the control and has cause my analog sticks to become more susceptible to excitability causing me to trigger those buttons at the most inconvenient times. Case in point Castlevania Lords of Shadow, when I'm trying to dodge by using the poorly chosen L2+Left analog configuration I end up hitting L3 when things get tense and instead of dodging I'm standing their left trying to absorb neutral magic energy waiting to get hit by the enemy....this often leads to death in hard settings where every hit can lead to 2/3's of your life being taken away. This isn't the only game I've had this problem with and as I use them more for things like melee attacks in Killzone 3 or other functionality in other games.... it becomes a problem.

7) DON'T TOUCH THE D-PAD. Some people complain about it, I honestly have no issue with it and love using it for fighting games.

8) As odd as a suggestion as this is, a headphone jack may not hurt here. Many game consoles tried this over the years including the 3DO. It was a good idea and could open the door to independent and individually heard audio for certain games.

Continued support for the Move of course would be awesome and I don't see it as an issue at present, but the controller will need improvements come PS4 just like the DS3 will need changes for DS4 on PS4.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 50 (152 Views)
PlayStation MVP
23845 posts

Jan 1, 2011

KazeEternal wrote:

A new standard controller is not necessary. There maybe some minor changes I could see as acceptable, but of all the controllers I've used in the past 25 years the PS1-3 design still outclasses what is out there. Changing button arrangement is a no go for me, between Xbox (S and Duke), GameCube, and N64 I don't see how change that would benefit me any and it is one of the smarter things Microsoft did with the X360 controller. Analog stick placement is perfect on the DS3 and having the battery internal has been a blessing in disguise considering the trouble the X360 controller causes me.

So what would I like to see?

1) Better hand grips, the ones on the controller now are fine and due a decent enough job, but I can't help but feel that no controller at this point has truly gotten them right. This needs to change, especially that edge between grip and face button surface area. This needs to be smoothed out and rounded into a natural arc or made a natural extension of the grip so that isn't there anymore.

2) Concave the analog sticks caps and coat with a better rubber to add higher friction between the thumb and stop of the stick. One or the other would be fine as well. I would be lying if I said I didn't find myself adjusting thumb placement mid match as a result of the analog sticks slipping due to sweat from my hands.

3) Pause, Play, Stop, Next, Previous, volume, control buttons for Custom Soundtrack modes. I shouldn't have to go to the XMB to manage something that can typically take the press of button in any other circumstance. Sad Irony of this request is that the PS Controllers Select and Start buttons were modeled with this functionality in mind lol (an assignable shortcut key wouldn't hurt either or a messages/invites key).

4) Interchangeable R2 and L2 trigger assembly. Expensive yes, but everyone has their own play style and the current triggers lend themselves well to certain players (like myself) and are hindrance to others.

5) This suggestion I'm a little iffy on requesting cause I don't want to find myself with double AA batteries ever being used. But ejectable battery packs and nothing as bothersome as what the competitors are doing that get in the way of my fingers or requires me to remove a rubber cover to get to the battery. I love the way the DS3 is now with batteries, but I think it is wasteful that I can't simply replace the battery only without a fuss. This is a small complaint given the current options in place, but I hate to think I'm out a controller if the battery goes south.

6) Better L3 and R3 buttons. As much as I like these buttons, they have become heavily used on PS3, far more than they ever were on PS2 or PS1. This has resulted in heavier wear and tear on the control and has cause my analog sticks to become more susceptible to excitability causing me to trigger those buttons at the most inconvenient times. Case in point Castlevania Lords of Shadow, when I'm trying to dodge by using the poorly chosen L2+Left analog configuration I end up hitting L3 when things get tense and instead of dodging I'm standing their left trying to absorb neutral magic energy waiting to get hit by the enemy....this often leads to death in hard settings where every hit can lead to 2/3's of your life being taken away. This isn't the only game I've had this problem with and as I use them more for things like melee attacks in Killzone 3 or other functionality in other games.... it becomes a problem.

7) DON'T TOUCH THE D-PAD. Some people complain about it, I honestly have no issue with it and love using it for fighting games.

8) As odd as a suggestion as this is, a headphone jack may not hurt here. Many game consoles tried this over the years including the 3DO. It was a good idea and could open the door to independent and individually heard audio for certain games.

Continued support for the Move of course would be awesome and I don't see it as an issue at present, but the controller will need improvements come PS4 just like the DS3 will need changes for DS4 on PS4.

BRING BACK BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY!! Now's your chance to be heard Via the PS Blog Share

PS2 BC Blog Share

I really don't see how you can put something like that on the controller. The biggest problem is that when you start adding things like you've suggested, it becomes cluttered. "Make it more complex" is never the solution. You want to keep the controller interface as simple as possible. Fumbling for the right key is something I don't want to do, and it's one of the reasons I don't particularly like PC games.

Also I don't see how you'd be able to implement interchangeable triggers. Taking apart the controller (I think that's what you're implying) is something you don't want encourage, at least anything more than changing a battery.

The thing about the different play styles, the Playstation controller is designed to be able to play many DIFFERENT types of games using one controller. I see a lot of guys saying "yadda, yadda, for shooters...". They're so locked into one style of play, that they only see one use for the controller. There's a term for that, and it's called "function fixedness". Making the controller more specialized to one type of game is a step backwards, not forwards. If it's not broken, don't break it.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 50 (152 Views)
Last Guardian
13199 posts

Jan 1, 2011

I think that the controllers are fine the way they have been. Lightweight, comfortable, and ergonomically designed for long sessions playing games. Imo anyway.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 50 (152 Views)
0 Likes