Aug 20 2011
By: justme0406 First Son 6 posts

Small gouge on disc

8 replies 928 views Edited Aug 20, 2011

I have The Orange Box and i leant it and my ps3 to my brother and when i got it back there was a small dent or gouge on the disc, now it doesnt even show up on my ps3. is there any way to repair the disc, its not even very big, i'm talking 1mm by 1mm and isn't that deep, didnt even reach the data, so if i can somehow fix the dent it will work but i heard traditional meathods don't work on blurays because they are much harder, of coarse because of that the disc is flawless except for the dent.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (928 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1847 posts

Re: Small gouge on disc

Aug 20, 2011

justme0406 wrote:

I have The Orange Box and i leant it and my ps3 to my brother and when i got it back there was a small dent or gouge on the disc, now it doesnt even show up on my ps3. is there any way to repair the disc, its not even very big, i'm talking 1mm by 1mm and isn't that deep, didnt even reach the data, so if i can somehow fix the dent it will work but i heard traditional meathods don't work on blurays because they are much harder, of coarse because of that the disc is flawless except for the dent.

but the thing is it did reach the data, that's probably why its not showing up. in some cases, the loss of that one bit of data can cause the disc to not work at all, all depends on what that bit of data represented. not really a way to fix it, I would say get your bother to buy you another copy.

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (928 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Aug 20, 2011

it didnt reach the data layer it is just preventing the laser from reaching the data, i just need to find a way of buffering it down enought that it doesnt refract so much but BR's are weird because they are so hard, i gotta find a way because i love the games on it and i don't want to buy another one because A) its such a waste, B) i can't really afford to be buying two of the same games and C) my brother is an ass and would never buy me a new one, he says he never even took it out of the case (i leant him more then just the orange box)

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (928 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23820 posts

Aug 20, 2011

justme0406 wrote:

it didnt reach the data layer it is just preventing the laser from reaching the data, i just need to find a way of buffering it down enought that it doesnt refract so much but BR's are weird because they are so hard, i gotta find a way because i love the games on it and i don't want to buy another one because A) its such a waste, B) i can't really afford to be buying two of the same games and C) my brother is an *** and would never buy me a new one, he says he never even took it out of the case (i leant him more then just the orange box)

As someone who's lost many a video game, movie, and CD to careless brothers, I can sympathize with your plight. Even though it may be a "small gouge", it was still enough to damage it to the point where it won't play. The only thing you can do right now is to try Disc Doctor, and see if that will work. Otherwise you might have to chalk it up as a loss, and replace it. I know you don't want to, but there may be no other option.

As a rule now, I don't let anyone borrow anything anymore. Especially music, because there's no longer any need to let someone "borrow" anything, since the advent of disc burners. I mean this as sincere advice as someone who's been there before, and has had to flush a lot of money down the drain on replacing many, MANY CDs and games; wherever you store your stuff, get a lock for the door. Go down to Home Depot and buy yourself a keyed entry lock, you can get one for under $20 and install it yourself in under 45 minutes. Barring that, get a locked cabinet and store your "high traffic" stuff in it. Yes, it may be pricey, but so is replacing your stuff. Otherwise you have to lay down the law, and hope he respects you enough to abide by your wishes. However, from what you're saying that doesn't seem very likely.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (928 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Aug 20, 2011

well it won't read and because of that i will try basically anything, my last ditch effort i think is going to be to get the finest sand paper and sand that one area, my resoning is that its easier to repair fine scratches then it is a gouge, as for the lock, that is not nessisary, he doesnt use the games without asking, i gave him permission, mostly because its so hard to damage a blu ray, it kinda looks like something fell on the disc rather then slid across it. if nothing works i'll try desparate things sinnce its useless as it is, if those thigs don't work oh well, i tried. it just really bugs me because it's so small, i've had ps1 and ps2 games that were WAY WAY WAY worse and they worked (mostly) it's just so hard to beleive that there isn't a way to repair blu rays, after 5 or so years of them being around you'd think they would have found a way...

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (928 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23820 posts

Aug 20, 2011

The thing is that Blu Rays are expensive, and anyone who is buying them is going to want to take good care of them. Yes, accidents do happen, but I'm inclined to think that most people just replace them rather than try to repair it, and then replace it later when the repair falls short.

As for the sandpaper I wouldn't recommend it. Any type of sandpaper is abrasive. It doesn't matter if it's 600 grit, or Crocus Cloth. Best Buy and other stores have various scratch repair kits that utilize liquids rather than abrasives. A liquid is not going to be harsh like sandpaper, and if it doesn't work you can try something else. If the sandpaper doesn't work, all you'll have is a $60 beer coaster.

Good luck in any case.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (928 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Aug 20, 2011

i know sandpaper is abrasive, thats the point, it makes scratches, in the process removing material, the idea is to make the surrounding area the same level as the deepest part of the gouge, it may be abrasive but it would only leave fine scratches, my thinking is that it's easier to work out fine scratched using the liquids then a gouge. and as i said that would be the last thing i do, but as it is right now it might as well be a coaster, also the orange box only costs $25 here, it a greatest hit so it's not that expensive.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (928 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23820 posts

Aug 20, 2011

justme0406 wrote:

i know sandpaper is abrasive, thats the point, it makes scratches, in the process removing material, the idea is to make the surrounding area the same level as the deepest part of the gouge, it may be abrasive but it would only leave fine scratches, my thinking is that it's easier to work out fine scratched using the liquids then a gouge. and as i said that would be the last thing i do, but as it is right now it might as well be a coaster, also the orange box only costs $25 here, it a greatest hit so it's not that expensive.

The thing is that if you use sand paper, you're going to a clouding effect on the surface. So rather than one scratch, you're going to have THOUSANDS of very small scratches. An optical disc is like reading a newspaper through a pane of glass. The more you scratch it, the more difficult it is to read. You believe you're going to remove a layer of lacquer from the disc surface, and technically you are. However it will not be a smooth, transparent surface you leave behind, but a clouded surface. The lacquer is also very thin, so you may indeed just go right down to the data layer.

You don't want to scrape, you want to BUFF the dent out. You need to use a soft surface, and not an abrasive one. I used to work for an industrial supplier (yes, I'm the only guy on the internet who doesn't claim to be a computer programmer, Navy SEAL, or an ultimate fighter), and we used to deal with abrasives all the time. So trust me on this one. Get a DVD Disc Doctor, otherwise you're only going to make matters worse.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (928 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Aug 20, 2011

a disc doctor cant remove gauges, however it can remove thousands of little scratches, i meant id use the sand paper to get rid of the gauge then use the disc doctor or something to get rid of the clouding, fine scratches are way easier to get rid of then a gauge

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (928 Views)
0 Likes