Lombax Warrior
197 posts

Re: Ps3 is bricked - please help recover files

Jun 29, 2007

Ashton305 wrote:
hooking up your harddrive to a computer WOULD NOT WORK!!!

That's what I thought. Any final suggestions before I resign myself?
Message 11 of 20 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2646 posts

Jun 29, 2007
well i thought i remembered hearing in one of the pst updates u could put your ps3 harddrive into a new one. but before u couldt i dont know just ask customer service if u can keep harddrive

BPK wrote:
My ps3 always gives me an error when it goes to install the update. At 22% the hard drive seems to malfunction as it flashes once (normal in itself) and then immediately gives me a message saying "there was an error with the update installation, please restart your system and do the update again." I phoned tech support and they said I will have to send it in. The problem with getting a new ps3 is that I had a ton of game saves on this one. Is there any way at all (streaming from a network) that I can get my game saves? It's so frustrating since I have no access to the xmb since every time I turn on the system it prompts me to install an update that will never install properly. Any and all help would be greatly apprecated.

Message 12 of 20 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
313 posts

Jun 29, 2007

BPK wrote:

Ashton305 wrote:

Try updating your PS3 via pc with an SD card. Follow these simple instructions. http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Network/Updates/pc_update.html#update_PC

I have yet to hear someone say that there SD card installation had failed. It seems the people who are always having the problems are doing it directly.

Message Edited by ModelM2A1 on 06-29-2007 10:14 AM
Message 13 of 20 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
197 posts

Jun 29, 2007

ModelM2A1 wrote:

BPK wrote:

Ashton305 wrote:

Try updating your PS3 via pc with an SD card. Follow these simple instructions. http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Network/Updates/pc_update.html#update_PC

I have yet to hear someone say that there SD card installation had failed. It seems the people who are always having the problems are doing it directly.

Message Edited by ModelM2A1 on 06-29-2007 10:14 AM

This is a great suggestion but unfortunately I already downloaded the update online. This means that I can't access my xmb whatsoever so I don't think this would work.
Message 14 of 20 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
422 posts

Jun 29, 2007
Just a few things and comments that should (could) hopefully help.

1.) Putting your existing Hard Drive into another PS3 unit SHOULD work provided the unit is up to at least 1.81 firmware.

2.) I DO NOT believe that the updates write to the HD space. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't firmware updates of ANY device usually write to a BIOS or Flash ROM chip? A corrupt Harddrive would not be the culprit of bad updating unless it is the storage location of the update. IN THIS CASE, use removable media to bypass the HD and write directly to the system flash.

3.) NO COMPUTER CAN READ THE CONTENT OF ANY PS3 FORMATTED CONTENT AS IT IS ENCRYPTED, INCLUDING THE PARTITIONS. Formatting and redoing the partitions will allow the drive to be usable on a computer or laptop, but all data will effectively be wiped making it pointless (unless you just want the drive as a new drive).

4.) Lastly, your PS3 is NOT Bricked. Sony really wanted to prevent the bricking of the PS3 (seeing as it's a huge investment for many) so the writing (flashing) portion of the update is held off until the update pretty much hits 100%. Throughout that update process where you are seing percentages, those are usually integrity checks. Only at 100% (where everything is verified and secured) is the update flashed and applied. There is a link verifying this on the boards, but since I'm at work I can't exactly look. I'll look soon though.
Message 15 of 20 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4658 posts

Jun 29, 2007

Daistaar wrote:

1.) Putting your existing Hard Drive into another PS3 unit SHOULD work provided the unit is up to at least 1.81 firmware.

No it won't.  Stop suggesting it.
Message 16 of 20 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Jun 29, 2007
keep on trying to do it. update as much as u can, maybe try restarting the system by saying no to the update if u can
"the worse thing in life is to be rickrolled" -Albert Einstien
Message 17 of 20 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
744 posts

Jun 29, 2007
Put in a usb and just copy ur stuff to it

Message 18 of 20 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
422 posts

Jul 2, 2007

v1_KySH wrote:

Daistaar wrote:

No it won't.  Stop suggesting it.

Are You sure? I have a friend who bought a second PS3 because he had an issue with a USB port and he wsapped out the HDD, threw it into the new unit and resumed like nothing ever happened. Granted, He had to update the firmware first, but I believe I even remember Sony mentioning this in one of the firmware updates. Here it is: (Since you were such a big meanie!. We really need some Netiquitte people.)

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates/history.html#update160
IT'S UNDER SETTINGS FOR FIRMWARE 1.60
"You can now restore backed up data to another PS3™ system under > ."
Message 19 of 20 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
93 posts

Jul 2, 2007
This happend to me too. But my ps3 goes to a black screen and the controllers wont connect or nothing... and i got a error during update too... sony should of thought of this ahead of time and package a reboot disk in with the ps3 incase of this problem

Message Edited by BigRizzle on 07-02-2007 01:58 PM
Message 20 of 20 (3 Views)
0 Likes