Mar 19 2008
By: Stickyfingaz69~ First Son 30 posts

Possible Fix to PS3 Not Reading Discs. It Works for ME!!!

35 replies 11045 views Edited Mar 19, 2008

Ok so the same thing just happend to me as well. After searching/finding my receipt, I also found that my PS3 is beyond the 1 year warranty. So I thought that instead of paying the $150 I would take matters into my own hands. I found a site that allows you to replace the Blue-Ray Optical lens mechanism at http://store.videogamecentral.com/ps3-optical-laser-lens-assembly
-repair-part.html.
So I thought if I'm going to buy this and install it then I'm going to have to take it apart anyways.

Here is what I did:

***Warning*** Perform this method at your own risk. I would only reccomend this to people who's PS3's are out of warranty and those who have some sort of electronic background.

Unplug PS3 before performing any of these steps

1. If concerned with warranty sticker then remove the warranty sticker intact by using a blow dryer using hot air and gently remove the sticker.

2. Remove plastic piece and the Star screw and Slide the outer lid off the PS3 

3. Underneath the outer lid there are a few Phillips head screws to remove, now remove the second shell by lifting from the back of the layer and pull forward     towards the front of the PS3. 

4.  By now you should see the Blue-Ray Disc Drive on the right side of the PS3

5. Remove the connector wire and ribbon connecting the BR-Drive, one is very small and should just jiggle out while the other is underneath the drive, it can         be removed by using a small flat screwdriver to lift up the black piece holding in the small ribbon.

6. Now you should be able to easily remove the 4-5 very-small-black phillips screws holding the silver metal crate that is attached to the drive itself, lift off the     crate.

7. There should be only a few more phillips screws hold the top of the BR-drive together. Once you remove these the laser should be exposed. Be sure NOT         TO TOUCH ANY OF THE MECHANICAL PARTS if you can help it especially the laser. 

8. Take a Q-Tip and dip it into alcohol being sure not to over soak the Q-tip, and gently clean your laser. Use care here as you only want the alcohol to touch     the lense. Try not to move the lense at all.

9. Since the PS3 was very simple to take apart I decided to try it out before I completly put it back together by plugging the BR-Drive back up and plugging in         the PS3 to see if it would read my discs. And of course it read any disc I put in.

10. If it works, then of course put everything back together and GAME ON.

Note: This may not be a perfect fix for everyone but, it sure worked for me.

Message 1 of 36 (11,045 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2748 posts

Re: Possible Fix to PS3 Not Reading Discs. It Works for ME!!!

Mar 19, 2008
My 20 gig launch day model stopped reading PS3 games and blu ray dvds about a month ago, so I am going to attempt the same thing. I saw a video on you-tube about it. If I screw it up who cares I have a 40 gig already and will have an 80 gig when the MGS4 bundle comes out.
image hosted by ImageVenue.com

CURRENT FLAVOR: SOUR DIESEL
Message 2 of 36 (11,045 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4789 posts

Mar 19, 2008
Or you can try this from Maxell.
jaymc account
Message 3 of 36 (11,045 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Mar 19, 2008
Ohhh man, I wishi that I would have known about that. I would have certainly tried it out.
Message 4 of 36 (11,045 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17841 posts

Mar 19, 2008

Ok, great read, but a question. The whole issue is nothing but a dirty laser?

Jeez.... 

42" Panasonic Plasma TH-42PZ700U 1080p w/ Yamaha 5.1 720W Surround Sound
Get to Know Your Fellow Gamer Thread!
Message 5 of 36 (11,045 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
370 posts

Mar 19, 2008
I have a Maxel cleaning kit...and it's on stand-by..LOL
Message Edited by Super*Lyrical on 03-19-2008 12:11 PM
Message 6 of 36 (11,045 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Mar 19, 2008

Sounds like fun!

I had to do a similar thing with my PS2 not too long ago.  I've only had my PS3 for a few weeks though, so I hope I have a while to go before this needs to be done. 

Message 7 of 36 (11,045 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8172 posts

Mar 19, 2008
my ps3 still reads my games and movies just fine
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 36 (11,045 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Mar 19, 2008

Super*Lyrical Let me know how the kit works for you. It may be a faster fix than what I put together. Although it only took about 20min's.

Yes it appears to me to be a dirty lense. I cleaned mine and it works like a charm with every cd! 

Message 9 of 36 (11,045 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
256 posts

Mar 19, 2008
I'm pretty sure the hair dryer on the warranty sticker thing won't work. Tha's why they call them tamper proof. I used to work at a place that made them. They are tamper proof.
Message 10 of 36 (11,045 Views)
0 Likes