Nov 17 2010
By: MisterInevitable First Son 3 posts

Playstation 3 Slim Loud Humming/Fan Noise

3 replies 783 views Edited Nov 17, 2010

Ok, so when I'm playing certain games (Dragon Ball Raging Blast 2) I notice that my PS3 Slim sounds as though the fan or something inside is speeding up drastically enough where it's making a loud humming noise that's vibrating my entertainment stand a bit. The noise only does it when I'm in the PSN main interface (Setting, Video, Music, Games, and etc) while the game is inside and not during the play. The noise normally stops between 5 to 20 minutes, but I just wanna know the source of the cause. 

My question is, is anyone else experiencing this type of problem, and if so how did you fix it, and if not should I just send it in to Sony for repair? I'm still under warranty as I got this system about 30 days ago. I actually traded in my fat to get the slim.

Also, when the game is loading the system itself also makes some type of loading disc tray noise or something. Just wanna know if this is common. Example; When installing certain games to the HDD such as Borderlands, New Vegas, and etc it makes this type of noise. My PS3 Fat never did this, nor do my older games, but only seems like newer ones I just Hate to wait 8 days to get my system back to find out nothing is wrong with it

Message 1 of 4 (783 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1770 posts

Re: Playstation 3 Slim Loud Humming/Fan Noise

Nov 17, 2010

Well the fan would only kick on high if the PS3 is hot and I'm sure there is some minimal vibration if the fan is indeed on high. Normal 'good ventlation' rules obviously apply. I have my PS3 completly in the open and that puppy can still get pretty warm. Either way its still possible that the fan and/or its casing is loose. However that is very remote.

If you are up for it, crack open the case and verify things are good. It may seem daunting but I've had to open up my PS3 no less then 5 times for various repairs and what not. It's easy and would give you the peace of mind that something isn't falling apart inside your PS3.

Just my two cents.

Message 2 of 4 (783 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 17, 2010

I appreciate your response, but I rather have Sony or a friend who is good with tech look inside for me. As for the temperature of my system it's pretty cool to the touch, with the exception of warm air coming from the back but other then that it's fine. So when you install games to your slim you don't experience the problems of "Noise" when it's installing, or when it's loading up certain images, screens, and etc?

Message 3 of 4 (783 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1770 posts

Nov 17, 2010

Yeah loud noises when you actually install something may point to a hard drive issue. Its possible that the hard drive itself is having issues accessing certian sectors and what not. Orginal hard drive or otherwise, a hard drive should NOT be making loud noises when its in use.

Message 4 of 4 (783 Views)
0 Likes