Reply
Dec 14 2011
By: DeejayXL First Son 2 posts
Offline

Playsation 3 Backwards Compatibility Update?

26 replies 746 views Edited Dec 14, 2011

Man, I was just struggling to fix my old PS2s and I didn't have a 1.4 micro-screwdriver and I broke one of them in the process. And I was just wondering if anyone wanted backwards compatibility for the PS3 as bad as I do. I was thinking that maybe if there were enough people requesting backwards compatibility for the system, we'd get it. I have stacks of PS2 games that I can't even paly and my PS3 is a CECHL01 model and I guess I bought mine a little after they discontinued the backwards compatibilty which sucks -__-.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 27 (746 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Playsation 3 Backwards Compatibility Update?

Dec 14, 2011

If you want play your PS2 games on your PS3, your best solution would be to buy a used one from GameStop (depending on the model they cost $200-$230). They have a deal now where they give you a free 1 -year replacement warranty.

There is no way that Sony will bring back PS2 compatibility back to the PS3. They are now remastering PS2 games and selling PS2 Classics on PSN that will run on all PS3 models...

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (746 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/14/2011
Offline
2 posts
 

Re: Playsation 3 Backwards Compatibility Update?

Dec 14, 2011

Lol. I'll pass on buying a whole new PS3. I've already considered buying a new PS2 but an update would be a huge convenience for not only me, but a lot of other gamers out there who bought a PS3 thinking that they could play their PS2 games and then finding out they can't which sucks. So I guess it's safe to say they're re-releasing PS2 games just for profit lol, nothing wrong with making money but that just puts gamers like me at a disadvantage.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 27 (746 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Playsation 3 Backwards Compatibility Update?

Dec 14, 2011

I understand that consumers new to the PS3 could get confused on the whole PS2 compatiblity thing, Sony didn''t really handle thw whole situation well. If you didn't already know in order to make PS2 BC work in the first place, Sony had to include PS2 hardware on the PS3. In order to promote PS3 game sales, Sony later took out the hardware in later models.

Without PS2 hardware in the PS3, Sony would have to make a custom emulator for each PS3 game (the method Microsoft used to make Xbox games work in the Xbox 360), with 1,800 potential titles to do that for, it would be a long and costly endevor for Sony.

PS2 BC ended with the CECHE01 model in 2007, so that feature was really only available during its first year of realease. You probably purchased your system far after that...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 27 (746 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/09/2009
Offline
185 posts
 

Re: Playsation 3 Backwards Compatibility Update?

Dec 14, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

If you want play your PS2 games on your PS3, your best solution would be to buy a used one from GameStop (depending on the model they cost $200-$230). They have a deal now where they give you a free 1 -year replacement warranty.

There is no way that Sony will bring back PS2 compatibility back to the PS3. They are now remastering PS2 games and selling PS2 Classics on PSN that will run on all PS3 models...

Thats what I did, bought 60GB PS3, came with year free warranty, and loving it.



Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 27 (746 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Playsation 3 Backwards Compatibility Update?

Dec 14, 2011

FLIPTAKU wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

If you want play your PS2 games on your PS3, your best solution would be to buy a used one from GameStop (depending on the model they cost $200-$230). They have a deal now where they give you a free 1 -year replacement warranty.

There is no way that Sony will bring back PS2 compatibility back to the PS3. They are now remastering PS2 games and selling PS2 Classics on PSN that will run on all PS3 models...

Thats what I did, bought 60GB PS3, came with year free warranty, and loving it.



Good for you. Be sure to check out my guide, and apply those techniques as soon as your warranty expires...

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 27 (746 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 06/24/2010
Offline
29 posts
 

Re: Playsation 3 Backwards Compatibility Update?

Dec 14, 2011

I feel you i'd even be willing to pay for the upgrade if it was like $20 just as long as I don't have to hassle and by another ps2 because my old ps2 broke.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 27 (746 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
23659 posts
 

Re: Playsation 3 Backwards Compatibility Update?

Dec 14, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I understand that consumers new to the PS3 could get confused on the whole PS2 compatiblity thing, Sony didn''t really handle thw whole situation well. If you didn't already know in order to make PS2 BC work in the first place, Sony had to include PS2 hardware on the PS3. In order to promote PS3 game sales, Sony later took out the hardware in later models.

Without PS2 hardware in the PS3, Sony would have to make a custom emulator for each PS3 game (the method Microsoft used to make Xbox games work in the Xbox 360), with 1,800 potential titles to do that for, it would be a long and costly endevor for Sony.

PS2 BC ended with the CECHE01 model in 2007, so that feature was really only available during its first year of realease. You probably purchased your system far after that...

I still don't agree. You can go right on this very site were we are discussing this, click on "Product Manuals", and find out within a few seconds that the current PS3 models don't play PS2 games. Some have said "well not everyone has the internet", which is an excuse I would have bought in 1995, but not in 2011, especially considering that most people have the internet on their phones these days. What it comes down to is effort. It's easier to post on a message board, then sit back and HOPE you get the right information, than to actually do some digging and find it yourself.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 27 (746 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Playsation 3 Backwards Compatibility Update?

Dec 15, 2011

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I understand that consumers new to the PS3 could get confused on the whole PS2 compatiblity thing, Sony didn''t really handle thw whole situation well. If you didn't already know in order to make PS2 BC work in the first place, Sony had to include PS2 hardware on the PS3. In order to promote PS3 game sales, Sony later took out the hardware in later models.

Without PS2 hardware in the PS3, Sony would have to make a custom emulator for each PS3 game (the method Microsoft used to make Xbox games work in the Xbox 360), with 1,800 potential titles to do that for, it would be a long and costly endevor for Sony.

PS2 BC ended with the CECHE01 model in 2007, so that feature was really only available during its first year of realease. You probably purchased your system far after that...

I still don't agree. You can go right on this very site were we are discussing this, click on "Product Manuals", and find out within a few seconds that the current PS3 models don't play PS2 games. Some have said "well not everyone has the internet", which is an excuse I would have bought in 1995, but not in 2011, especially considering that most people have the internet on their phones these days. What it comes down to is effort. It's easier to post on a message board, then sit back and HOPE you get the right information, than to actually do some digging and find it yourself.

Blue Led Status achieved 10-26-2004
9-09-09

I don't disagree with you, however the OP situation is certainly predictable.

I still think it would allievate some of this issue, simply if Sony stated on the box it isn't compatible with PS2 games, like they used to...

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 27 (746 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: Playsation 3 Backwards Compatibility Update?

Dec 15, 2011

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I understand that consumers new to the PS3 could get confused on the whole PS2 compatiblity thing, Sony didn''t really handle thw whole situation well. If you didn't already know in order to make PS2 BC work in the first place, Sony had to include PS2 hardware on the PS3. In order to promote PS3 game sales, Sony later took out the hardware in later models.

Without PS2 hardware in the PS3, Sony would have to make a custom emulator for each PS3 game (the method Microsoft used to make Xbox games work in the Xbox 360), with 1,800 potential titles to do that for, it would be a long and costly endevor for Sony.

PS2 BC ended with the CECHE01 model in 2007, so that feature was really only available during its first year of realease. You probably purchased your system far after that...

I still don't agree. You can go right on this very site were we are discussing this, click on "Product Manuals", and find out within a few seconds that the current PS3 models don't play PS2 games. Some have said "well not everyone has the internet", which is an excuse I would have bought in 1995, but not in 2011, especially considering that most people have the internet on their phones these days. What it comes down to is effort. It's easier to post on a message board, then sit back and HOPE you get the right information, than to actually do some digging and find it yourself.

Blue Led Status achieved 10-26-2004
9-09-09

Indeed, you may have a point. But not a lot of people would think that there is a possibility that PS2 BC has been removed because,(a. they may have owned the original model at one point and had to buy a new one, and assumed that the newer models have the same features as the old one, or (B. assumed the feature was there because they knew someone who had the original model and assumed the newer models had the same features, because normally, newer models have the same features as the older models, or more, not less. The PS3 is the first game console to lose certain features. So some people who have known about the older models naturally assume the newer models have the same features, not less. On the back of the box, they simply say "limited backwards compatibility". It makes no mention of weather it is backwards compatible with PS1 and/or PS2 games. Sony pretty much removed PS2 B/C silently. So yeah, some people could have done some research, but as I said, the thought that Sony removed B/C may not have occurred in their minds. I have seen cases where people went from the older model to the newer one and had no idea the PS3 lost that feature. But your right that people should do research if the newer models have the same features as the older ones. What I am trying to say that it's not entierly their fault for now knowing.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 27 (746 Views)
Reply
0 Likes