Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
2087 posts

Re: PlayStation Legacy (Bring Back BC Thread)

Mar 3, 2009

I don't think anyone will argue that, all other things being the same, PS2 BC should not be included.  PS2 BC compatibility would definitely drive some PS3 sales, I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

I think the people who do not want/care about PS2 BC think that all of the resources (assuming some will be spent) making a PS2 software emulator would be better spent on something else.  At this point, the costs of an emulator and how many more PS3s an emulator would sell would all be speculation.  But, as has been said before, given the fact that there was already EE emulation in the CECHE01s, it seems that there has already been a certain amount of resources spent already on developing PS2 emulation.

Message Edited by EncodedNybble on 03-03-2009 02:18 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 1101 of 1,195 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7481 posts

Mar 3, 2009

EncodedNybble wrote:

I don't think anyone will argue that, all other things being the same, PS2 BC should not be included.  PS2 BC compatibility would definitely drive some PS3 sales, I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

I think the people who do not want/care about PS2 BC think that all of the resources (assuming some will be spent) making a PS2 software emulator would be better spent on something else.  At this point, the costs of an emulator and how many more PS3s an emulator would sell would all be speculation.  But, as has been said before, given the fact that there was already EE emulation in the CECHE01s, it seems that there has already been a certain amount of resources spent already on developing PS2 emulation.

Well we've seen what sony has spent their money on so far and it really hasn't improved our PS3 experience any, certainly hasn't gone towards games as that money was allocated long before this began (Kill Zone 2, LBP, God of War 3, Uncharted). You have to be kidding yourself if you think Home is worth the price of emulation improvements. Alot of that supposed lost money could come form PS2 game sales on the PSN which would continue to pay off th ePS2 emulator patch work with time as the sales of the game don't stop when production on the emulator does. IT's pretty self sustaining and not a Goliath of a project has Home.

Plus this is a feature for the heritage of PS3 and a feature of the PS3 that was included on Day 1. I just don't see any reason to invest the money else where when all the valuable stuff already has funds allocated to it.
Please use plain text.
Message 1102 of 1,195 (1 View)
Uncharted Territory
2087 posts

Mar 3, 2009

KazeEternal wrote:

Well we've seen what sony has spent their money on so far and it really hasn't improved our PS3 experience any, certainly hasn't gone towards games as that money was allocated long before this began (Kill Zone 2, LBP, God of War 3, Uncharted). You have to be kidding yourself if you think Home is worth the price of emulation improvements. Alot of that supposed lost money could come form PS2 game sales on the PSN which would continue to pay off th ePS2 emulator patch work with time as the sales of the game don't stop when production on the emulator does. IT's pretty self sustaining and not a Goliath of a project has Home.

Plus this is a feature for the heritage of PS3 and a feature of the PS3 that was included on Day 1. I just don't see any reason to invest the money else where when all the valuable stuff already has funds allocated to it.

Very true PS2 downloads via the PSN would drive some money and more than likely make back any money spent on making the emulator.  To be off topic for just a split second, I kinda like home as a concept, but don't use it much until it gets in home game launching......now, back on topic.

Please use plain text.
Message 1103 of 1,195 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
877 posts

Mar 3, 2009

EncodedNybble wrote:

Let's project Sony ps3 sales at an eventual 60 million units - I think it will be far more, but over 10 years, 60 million is more than possible from the current 20 million.  That's an additional 40 million units. Take 1 dollar per unit and invest it in PS2 emulation.  Based on my own experience with project management, software development costs and software development, I personally think that such a project can be accomplished for less, but take one dollar per unit from the 40 million yet to be sold. If we guestimate that an additional 10 million unit sales will come because of the incluisionof PS2 emulation,  that's a mere $4 per additional unit,  or 80 cents a unit spread across all of the potential sales to come. If Sony can't make more money than that through selling additional controllers, head sets, games and other accessories not to mention all the stuff on PSN, then there is something deeply wrong.

Personally I don't think that completing the current emulation software would cost Sony more than $20 million. This would mean that the investment already made in emulation would not go wasted,  and Sony would reap the rewards of the added functionality in the PS3 helping to drive additional sales. Donig nothing potentially reduces furture sales, and essentially allows the investment in emulation already made to simply pour down the drain. 

The thing is that when you talk of unit sales in the millions, you're looking at hundreds of millions of dollars in future revenue for Sony. When you talk in 10's of millions of units, Sony potentially see's billions in future revenue. Whenever we mention the possible costs of completing an emulation someone pipes in with an objection about the huge investment. No offense to anyone, bu $40 million is a drop in the bucket when you're talking about revenue in the billions.

As you say, much of the investment has already been done,  now let's hope that someone at Sony has an attack of common sense and realizes that for a relatively limited further investment they can potentially reap billions in future revenues.

Home is free, but the drinks cost extra.

Home auto-reply text for female avatars :-

"I'm sorry, I cannot respond now, I am playing this game. My age is immaterial. No, I am much better looking than my Avatar. No, I won't do that. Leave me alone you sleaze bag. Oh, sorry, not you, the other guy. Please can you just let me play this game. No, I don't like that dance. No, you can't sit there. Oh, come on, would you just get up you immature jerk! Alright, I'm nearly done, can you please let me be so I can concentrate on finishing this game for now?"

Home auto-reply text for male avatars :-

"Dood!"

Please use plain text.
Message 1104 of 1,195 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
877 posts

Mar 3, 2009

NothingButBalls wrote:

Highlander992k wrote:

1. We're not supposed to discuss a rival's console.

2. What is the point of this post? It doesn't contradict anything that anyone has said. If you understand machine emulation, you should know that.

The point of this post is that he posted "This is a clear misunderstanding of how Emulation works, to create a game profile for every PS2 game is not cost effective". Well that wiki article proves that a software emulator solution for a console that uses no hardware from the previous generations console does in fact run with a profile system. I think that proves pretty clearly by example that his misunderstanding of what it might take to bring an emulator solution to the PS3 is entirely feasible, despite his assumptions otherwise. It's clear he has no idea what he is speaking about when it comes to a software based emulator. 

You need to read far more of this thread if you think that.

Home is free, but the drinks cost extra.

Home auto-reply text for female avatars :-

"I'm sorry, I cannot respond now, I am playing this game. My age is immaterial. No, I am much better looking than my Avatar. No, I won't do that. Leave me alone you sleaze bag. Oh, sorry, not you, the other guy. Please can you just let me play this game. No, I don't like that dance. No, you can't sit there. Oh, come on, would you just get up you immature jerk! Alright, I'm nearly done, can you please let me be so I can concentrate on finishing this game for now?"

Home auto-reply text for male avatars :-

"Dood!"

Please use plain text.
Message 1105 of 1,195 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Mar 3, 2009

Highlander992k wrote:

2. What is the point of this post? It doesn't contradict anything that anyone has said. If you understand machine emulation, you should know that.

The point of this post is that he posted "This is a clear misunderstanding of how Emulation works, to create a game profile for every PS2 game is not cost effective". Well that wiki article proves that a software emulator solution for a console that uses no hardware from the previous generations console does in fact run with a profile system. I think that proves pretty clearly by example that his misunderstanding of what it might take to bring an emulator solution to the PS3 is entirely feasible, despite his assumptions otherwise. It's clear he has no idea what he is speaking about when it comes to a software based emulator. 
Message Edited by NothingButBalls on 03-03-2009 02:56 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 1106 of 1,195 (1 View)
Treasure Hunter
7481 posts

Mar 3, 2009

NothingButBalls wrote:

Highlander992k wrote:

All he did was show a single instance were a profile system was put into use. That is highly expensive and from even a technical stand point taxing on the system at hand.

He presents one case after I presented 3 that did not use profiling. Thus the implementation he presented was the only course one company took which turned out to be expensive. Keep in mind that the 80 gig PS3 that had BC which used partial emulation (100% emulation of the emotion engine) required no such profiling system to work.
Please use plain text.
Message 1107 of 1,195 (1 View)
0 Likes
Survivor
2797 posts

Mar 3, 2009

If you don't want to help bring BC back to the PS3, then help bring 3.0 GHz Processors to computers so that we can run the PCSX2 Emulator.

If you don't want to do that either, then you seriously need to get out.

Please use plain text.
Message 1108 of 1,195 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Mar 3, 2009

Highlander992k wrote:

You need to read far more of this thread if you think that.

While I will admit that I haven't read this entire thread, some of these posts are just so full of self-importance and self-righteousness that I just had to skip them. Pretty much everything Anus112880 posts lol. At first I thought this thread would be a helpful but its pretty much deteriorated into users posting nothing that is really helpful to getting bc back on the PS3. I mean look at it, there are like 5 people here who even follow this thread anymore, and most of them just pop in to tell you how silly it is. Really this thread isn;t worth the storage space it takes on Sony's servers to store it, nor the bandwidth required to bring it to you.

Message Edited by NothingButBalls on 03-03-2009 03:12 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 1109 of 1,195 (1 View)
Wastelander
674 posts

Mar 3, 2009
You all really should have bought the PS3 when it had BC. That's really too bad you didn't.
Message Edited by RetroMUFC on 03-03-2009 06:14 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 1110 of 1,195 (1 View)
0 Likes