Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

Re: PS3 with more ram --> faster!!!

May 27, 2007
The guy that wrote that article isn't the brightst crayon in the box.

Swap files have been around since at least windows 2000(probably earlier). I have been using them actively for years, and it is extremely easy to set up on windows.

The problem with the memory allocated to the swap file, is that it doesn't refresh as fast as your DDR that is currently on the market today. So it keeps your computer from crashing, however, it still runs slow.

This would not help gameplay at all because this is something that has to be configured in the OS. I see little point in doing this as it makes more sense to put linux on a desktop. I still believe that linux on the PS3 is still a gimmick or an novelty rather than a fuctional feature.
Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - PuppyPumper
Message 21 of 53 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
755 posts

May 27, 2007
Well, Windows uses a swap file.
Some distorbutions of linux, like my favorite, ubuntu, use a seperate patition for swap, and it tends to be a little bit faster.
Swap partitions are great if you only have a little bit of ram, but they are no substitute, but to use linux on your PS3, I would make like a 1GB Swap partition.
I got my PS3 on North American Launh (60GB) and my own copy of Motorstorm, NFS Carbon, Call of Duty 3, and Resistance Fall Of Man!
Message 22 of 53 (10 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1295 posts

May 27, 2007

Real_Gambler wrote:
Price of an extra 256Mb ram would have been only about $25 but Sony didn't go for it because IT'S NOT NEEDED
Price for a socket, a small backdoor and a screw so you can add more Ram in the future, is less than $5 but again NOT NEEDED

Currently, there's still awesome games coming out on the PS2 with only 32Mb Ram TOTAL.  Sure, after 7 years, developpers have to squeeze more now.  But they can still make it, without huge compromises.

512Mb of RAM is lots for a gaming console. It will take years before developpers feel that they have to code better to save your "precious" Ram.  This is not a PC where 400Mb is used by the OS alone.  This is not a PC where you develop games for graphic cards with 32Mb or 512Mb...    Every console has the same amount of memory available. No compromises. You know what you have to deal with, and it's plenty!

Think about it the marketing advantage Sony would have had if they added another 256Mb or a socket. I'm sure the marketing guys was bringing that in each meetings. Please add more Ram than our competitor. But they never got their wished granted because there's already lots and lots....

"Where can you get 256MB of XDR for $25? That's a steal..."

Simple: look at any breakdown price cost for the Playstation 3 on about dozens of web site....     It's everywhere.  Remember two things.  We are not talking about Memory Stick (more expensive) but Memory Chips, soldered directly to the board. On top of that, those prices are based on huge quantity directly from manufacturer, not the price you get after 5 people made money on your memory stick.  

This is another reason why a console is always a good deal. You always get better price if you're calling a manufacturer to tell him that you will buy one million chips....   With PC, chips are sold to a guy who put them on a small pcb, then sell them to a wholesaler, who then sell them to retailers, and so on... 

Think about it another way....  Example: Let say it cost the manufacturer  $24 to make 256Mb, they can sell one million chips to Sony (easy sell) for $25 and make one million on the spot.  Or they can sell it to 20 differents company, in smaller quantities, but with higher margin....   Quantity drives the price down.  We enjoy a great console.

Even Graphic cards won't get those prices...    Let say you make a X1900 ati graphic cards. You now have to go knock to a memory manufacturer, and fight with 8 other graphic cards manufacturer to get a decent price. You likely won't order one million chips. Neither are those other 8...   But Sapphire may get a bigger order than you and get a better price.  Laws of economic : )

In fact, in those breakdown, I think the price was a little above $25....   I dropped the price a little because those are old breakdown. On the other side, since the PS3 is not selling as much as expected, this price may very well be above that by now.... 

eoj3
Message 23 of 53 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
650 posts

May 27, 2007
I think the PS3 should make a new model, like the 360 Elite, which will have removable RAM so you can pretty much buy 4GB dual channel and it'd be cool lolmaoflwtf.

Message Edited by Cheemiester on 05-27-2007 12:33 PM
Message 24 of 53 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4945 posts

May 29, 2007
Thats awesome, And i just bought a 2GB stick for my PSP its perfect
CLICK MY SIGNATURE TO SEE MY YOUTUBE PAGE
Message 25 of 53 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

May 29, 2007

PuppyPumper wrote:
The guy that wrote that article isn't the brightst crayon in the box.

Swap files have been around since at least windows 2000(probably earlier). I have been using them actively for years, and it is extremely easy to set up on windows.

Windows?  Please...  swaping process tables to disk was around while Bill Gates was still wetting his bed...  1969-74....  UNIX...

Message 26 of 53 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21665 posts

May 29, 2007

Cheemiester wrote:
I think the PS3 should make a new model, like the 360 Elite, which will have removable RAM so you can pretty much buy 4GB dual channel and it'd be cool lolmaoflwtf.

Message Edited by Cheemiester on 05-27-2007 12:33 PM

It doesn't matter if they allowed you to update the ram amount, no developer is gonna optimize for anything more than the 256/256 banks it has now. 

Plus, console thrive on having a single, well known configuation.  adding new hardware like that has always historically failed to be utilized. 

Message 27 of 53 (10 Views)
Fender Bender
3552 posts

May 29, 2007
This is only availible through linux, and is standard for linux to create a swap partition on the hard drive. Swapping to the hard drive is slow, whereas actual memory is right beside the CPU.

Message 28 of 53 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

May 29, 2007
having a ps3 later that will have open slots for ram wont be fair 4 us ps3 owners. im just ready 2 exchange my ps3 for a new model.
Message 29 of 53 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2720 posts

May 29, 2007

bart85 wrote:
having a ps3 later that will have open slots for ram wont be fair 4 us ps3 owners. im just ready 2 exchange my ps3 for a new model.

They won't.

They would never make the PS3's memory upgradeable. Dev's would only develope for the minimum amount of ram, which most people would have. So it's be useless.
Owner of a 8800GTX and a 160gig PS3. Yes, I'm a gamer.

Games I'm buying within the next year-
-PC- Gears of War, Crysis, Quake Wars, Bioshock, Half Life Orange Box, Team Fortress 2.
-PS3- Unreal Tournament 3, MGS4, Gran Turismo 5, Haze, Killzone 2, DiRT, and Army of Two.
Message 30 of 53 (10 Views)
0 Likes