Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 12 2010
By: brendude13 First Son 8 posts

PS3 needs major backwards compatibility improvements!

24 replies 95 views Edited Dec 12, 2010

So my first point or question is, when I first bought my PS3 I was very disappointed that I wasn't going to be able to play PS2 games on it. PS2 emulation on a PS3 is more than possible and it was available in the NTSC 80gb PS3's. So why exactly did SONY remove a major selling point of the PS3 which didn't cost money and was operating in 2008?

And my second point or question is. Today I decided to pop in Resident Evil 3 for a lovely trip down nostalgia lane, but what I was greeted with was a pixely mess. I know that HDTV's make old games even worse and that the PS1's graphics are obviously outdated these days, but this was REALLY ugly. The game seemed to be running at a resolution far below even SD without any filter whatsoever, I turned smoothing on and it felt like I was playing the game through a foggy window, it just blurred the game and completely ruined the colours making the game look even worse. Why is SONY once again half assing on a major selling point of the PS3? My netbook has no problem running PS1 games through ePSXe at a high resolution so why can't the most powerful home console on the market pull it off? And also, why are my PS1 games not running in fullscreen? I have a thick black bar all the way around the edge of my screen. And also why the hell can I not access my XMB when running PS1 games?

All major selling points of the PS3, all so easy to fix and implement. I just cannot get my head round why this hasn't been sorted yet? I hope this somehow gets passed on to SONY just so they realise how pathetic this really is.

Message 1 of 25 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9669 posts

Re: PS3 needs major backwards compatibility improvements!

Dec 12, 2010
Backwards compatibility may not be as "easy to fix and implement" as you think. No matter what you think, Sony will do whatever they want, whenever they want.
bobtheenzyteguy Trophy Card

Kudos me, and I'll kudos you.
Message 2 of 25 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Dec 12, 2010

a good improvement to the BC problem would be to buy a PS2. they sell them brand new in walmart, toys r us, amazon etc. and there cheapy 100 bucks new. dont want to buy new search ebay

Message 3 of 25 (95 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Dec 12, 2010

Wow, two extremely helpful answers. >_>

I already have a PS2, but I don't have the room for it, I want to just play my PS2 games in 720p on just one console, it is a nuisance to dig out my PS2, hook it up and play in SD. If the PS3 has PS2 backwards compatibility then I would have probably had the motivation to finish Final Fantasy X by now. It was in the PS3 before so why did they remove it?

Message 4 of 25 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
374 posts

Dec 12, 2010

PS1 and PS2 games are not design for HDTV. Why don't you use your PS3 on standard TV and it will look just as good. The problem is HDTV not the PS3. People just can't accept the fact the older games looks better on older TV than HDTV.

==============================================================
PS2 slim
PS3 slim 120gb/500gb
PS3 60gb
Message 5 of 25 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9669 posts

Dec 12, 2010

brendude13 wrote:.
It was in the PS3 before so why did they remove it?

Who really knows?  Maybe it was to lower the price.  Maybe it was to get people to play PS3 games.  Maybe it doesn't turn a profit for Sony.  But why waste time trying to find reason and rationale?  It's not in the PS3 today, and there's nothing you can do that will change that.

bobtheenzyteguy Trophy Card

Kudos me, and I'll kudos you.
Message 6 of 25 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

Dec 12, 2010

BobTheEnzyteGuy wrote:

Who really knows?  Maybe it was to lower the price.  Maybe it was to get people to play PS3 games.  Maybe it doesn't turn a profit for Sony.  But why waste time trying to find reason and rationale?  It's not in the PS3 today, and there's nothing you can do that will change that.

Something else too, the PS2's are still selling (that's why they're still being sold new at retail stores).  PS3's are still selling, of course.  I think Sony believes they make more money by selling them seperately for the time being than including one for free in the other, and they're probably right.  As much as it sucks, it's all about the money.

I've read they intend to release PS2 games in the PS Store someday though, which would come with a PS2 emulator of some kind.  I don't think that means any kind of true PS2 backwards compatibility (playing with discs), but you'd be able to play PS2 games you buy via PSN.  Personally, I'd buy Final Fantasy X ASAP the day that happens.

Message 7 of 25 (95 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 12, 2010

brendude13 wrote:

Wow, two extremely helpful answers. >_>

I already have a PS2, but I don't have the room for it, I want to just play my PS2 games in 720p on just one console, it is a nuisance to dig out my PS2, hook it up and play in SD. If the PS3 has PS2 backwards compatibility then I would have probably had the motivation to finish Final Fantasy X by now. It was in the PS3 before so why did they remove it?

Unfortunately you missed the boat when you could have bought a PS2 BC PS3 at a reasonable price. Now Sony's strategy is to remaster popular PS2 games on the PS3 and sell it in disc form and on PSN....

Message 8 of 25 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3785 posts

Dec 12, 2010
PS1 games were 480i if you were lucky. most were not even 480i 16/9 anamorphic untill PS2 so even when played on CRT you had black Borders along the top and bottom and wide screen Tv had boarders on left and right side as well.
Just like today lowering the actual resolution allowed FMV and game play fps to be smoother.

HTML5 Video streaming from a LAN PC with PLEX on PS4 Browser

Amazon Fire TV owner... With alot of APKs side loaded..
Message 9 of 25 (95 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24922 posts

Dec 12, 2010

Dreakon13 wrote:

BobTheEnzyteGuy wrote:

Something else too, the PS2's are still selling (that's why they're still being sold new at retail stores).  PS3's are still selling, of course.  I think Sony believes they make more money by selling them seperately for the time being than including one for free in the other, and they're probably right.  As much as it sucks, it's all about the money.

I've read they intend to release PS2 games in the PS Store someday though, which would come with a PS2 emulator of some kind.  I don't think that means any kind of true PS2 backwards compatibility (playing with discs), but you'd be able to play PS2 games you buy via PSN.  Personally, I'd buy Final Fantasy X ASAP the day that happens.

There's already a couple of PS2 games on the Playstation Store; The God of War Collection and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time HD. These games have been recoded to run on the PS3's current hardware. Beyond Good and Evil is supposedly coming as well sometime in 2011. 

This comes up time and time again. No matter how many times it's said, there are some who still believe that adding a PS2 emulator is as simple as saying "they could totally do it!". I'm thinking it's not, otherwise we would have seen it by now. 

Message 10 of 25 (95 Views)
0 Likes