Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 01 2010
By: Preludio First Son 8 posts

PS3 graphics card broken/fried is there a replacement?

13 replies 16485 views Edited Feb 1, 2010

So my PS3 "died" due to a power surge and it basically fried the power supply and apparently the GPU. I found about this becuase I replaced the Power Supply and the PS3 did work normally but it never sent any video to the TV. Tried doing the Settings Reset by keeping pressed the Power button for some seconds to no avail. So either my GPU is fried and FUBAR'ed or it has a problem that can be fixed somehow.

So does anyone knows where to get a PS3 GPU replacement? Or a way to fix my problem? Thank you for your assistance

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (16,485 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1292 posts

Re: PS3 graphics card broken/fried is there a replacement?

Feb 1, 2010
youd have to reball the new gpu onto the motherboard which would take a professional to do and would cost probably almost the price of a new ps3. Not only that but the gpu isnt sold on its own.
Original 60gb Ps3 11-17-2006
BR Drive Failure 9-25-08 (repaired by sony $150)

YLOD Victim 1-6-09 (repaired by myself $10)
BR Drive Failure 12-02-09 (repaired by myself $60)

Repaired over 100 RROD and 30 YLOD/Ps3 failures.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (16,485 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 1, 2010
Well I'm actually having a repair offer which would replace my GPU and the Power Supply *as I still have my old power supply but used another one that I had to return* for 145 dollars which is a lot better than sending it to Sony IMHO, as my saves won't be lost and it was an original 60 GB PS3 and I fear that I might get another model.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (16,485 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1148 posts

Feb 1, 2010
Heck,  send it to Sony and get a SLIM, I did!!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (16,485 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 1, 2010

I could, but since my PS3 has BC and my saves, I guess it isn't that much of a good idea, thanks though .

In a related note, as I don't want to get my PS3 fried again when it is repaired or I buy a new one, I want to buy a UPS*?* (The thing for the PC that protects it from power surges) for it, what kind of UPS is good? Is any Walmart or Best Buy UPS will do the trick for my PS3? 

Thanks for any info 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (16,485 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3177 posts

Feb 1, 2010

Preludio wrote:

I could, but since my PS3 has BC and my saves, I guess it isn't that much of a good idea, thanks though .

In a related note, as I don't want to get my PS3 fried again when it is repaired or I buy a new one, I want to buy a UPS*?* (The thing for the PC that protects it from power surges) for it, what kind of UPS is good? Is any Walmart or Best Buy UPS will do the trick for my PS3? 

Thanks for any info 

if your looking for "surge" protecting, make sure you get one that has the little reset button that pops out in the event of a surge. if it is labeled as a surge protector but doesn't have the reset its just a "powerbar"might work once but that all. also might look into power conditioner for your home, if you got"bad" power

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 14 (16,485 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
912 posts

Feb 1, 2010
You want to make sure that you get a surge protector and not just a UPS. A UPS stands for uninterruptible power supply. They basically make sure power isn't lost in case of a power failure. I'm not sure all or any of them have surge suppression. When looking for a good surge protector don't get any of those cheap ones that are usually in a straight line and are basically just glorified extension cords. Look for ones that have instantaneous clamping. You will want to look in the 50.00 dollar range to get yourself a quality one. Some will also have guarantees on the box and any you get should have a circuit breaker on them as well. If I had the time, I'd put a link in here pointing to a good one but I just don't have time today.

PSN Gamercards

Jesus is my Lord and Savior

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (16,485 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8370 posts

Feb 1, 2010

The majority of UPS do have surge protection built-in. Check the specification.

As for the OP and the repair. I would be very scared of a replacement to the GPU, it's very delicate repair work and needed to be done by a professional. If they plan to replace the motherboard as a repair, your data is toast.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (16,485 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8117 posts

Feb 1, 2010

UPS's use L section filters to supply nice and clean stable dc to the battery for charging.

Basically capacitors and coils to stabilize the voltage and current to prevent any form of surges.

Then lots of the time the output voltage is actually from the battery, through an inverter to produce a square sinosodal wave.

better ups's have a better output wave form, closer to a true sinosodal wave. 

Some electronics actually like the square wave better, while others are made for use with normal sinusodal waves.

So the first question would be, what wave form would the PS3 prefer?  And I dont know the answer.

Some UPS's just pass the normal voltage through, then transfer to battery backup really fast when the mainpower fails, really more of a backup then uninterupted.

I would say a UPS is over kill.  Get a good surge suppression bar and you should be fine.  Unless you wanna play during a blackout, but that can get expensive.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (16,485 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

Feb 1, 2010
yea like everyone else said go out and buy you a power surge protector don't be cheap and just plug everything into the wall. It will kill your equipments and might burn down the house.
PSN Tag: Lt_Phan

"Better to fight for something than to live for nothing."
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (16,485 Views)
0 Likes