Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 17 2010
By: leor3865 Monster Hunter 42 posts

PS3 bluray drive replacement

6 replies 5483 views Edited Apr 17, 2010

My PS3 bluray drive died on my FAT 40gb PS3. Does anyone know of a reliable merchant that sells new PS3 bluray drives?

Message 1 of 7 (5,483 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Re: PS3 bluray drive replacement

Apr 17, 2010

have a look on ebay, if your in the uk make sure you purchase one from a uk seller. i got a new laser for £45 and fitted it myself in about half an hour. link to the ebay seller i used : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320508209715

Message 2 of 7 (5,483 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5985 posts

Apr 17, 2010

Important - the controller board on the broken blu-ray drive *have* to be transfered to the new drive.

That board is paired to the mother board.

Games PS1 (100+), PS2 (140+), PS3 (100+), PSP (34+)
My PS3 Website - http://sites.google.com/site/etempestps3/
Message 3 of 7 (5,483 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Apr 17, 2010

Did your whole bd drive go bad or do you just need to replace the lens? one is not very simple and the other is. Maybe you should explain how your ps3 went wrong so peoples on here can direct you to specific issue but if you are just looking for a good replacement look on ebay and look at the feedback. One thing you need to know is that every replacement you buy will be refurbished item. Sony does not sell brand new replacements. Just to give you an example I went through 2 different replacement before receiving a good one and I purchased from a very reputable seller.

WWW.ALLbmoreHipHop.COM
Message 4 of 7 (5,483 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 2, 2010

I had the usual problem with the motor dying in my 1st gen 60GB blu-ray drive. You could tell from it's inability to play a game for more than about 15 minutes, and eventually to the point of not even recognizing the disc. Yes, I did try a new clean firmware install to test, but eventually had the casing off when testing, and it was more than obvious when the drive locked the disc into place, that the motor wasn't doing a thing.

Regardless, I purchased a replacement drive, claimed to be a "refurbished" drive from eeshops in China, but was obvious when I received it 2 weeks later, it was really just a working pull. Of course, it worked just fine. The only issue was the casing that was bent, which was an easy switch when removing the controller board from the drive with a bad motor. 

Message 5 of 7 (5,483 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jan 3, 2011

eVileLoD wrote:

I had the usual problem with the motor dying in my 1st gen 60GB blu-ray drive. You could tell from it's inability to 

Regardless, I purchased a replacement drive, claimed to be a "refurbished" drive from eeshops in China, but was obvious when I received it 2 weeks later, it was really just a working pull. Of course, it worked just fine. The only issue was the casing that was bent, which was an easy switch when removing the controller board from the drive with a bad motor.

i purchased a powersupply from eeshops.com and never received it.... i do not recommend them to anyone, i was lucky enough to get paypal to reverse the transaction.

Message 6 of 7 (5,483 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1153 posts

Jan 3, 2011

lol it looks like a bootleg site

Message 7 of 7 (5,483 Views)
0 Likes