Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 18 2008
By: THC900 First Son 4 posts

PS3 Yellow lights of death fix (it worked on mine)

54 replies 14360 views Edited Oct 18, 2008

2 days ago i got the yellow light of death when the 2.50 update came out rendering my ps3 to a 500 dollar paperweight.

I contacted sony about my problem and my console is under warrenty so it would be fixed for free so it didn't bother me to awful bad

the are sending me a box right now but i have fixed the yellow lights on my ps3 myself and it works now without a hitch

What i did is i took my 120 gb hard drive out of my ps3, Slaved it to my cpu tower and did a full format of that drive

then i took my hard drive and put it back in my ps3 and it ask me for the system software 2.50 disk so i downloaded  the 2.50 update off of the ps3 website installed it and boom my ps3 work like new

this worked for me so far and have been playing my console for 6 hours now with out a hitch

maybe this will work for some of u aswell

if this works for anyone else let me know because i have a feeling it has something to do with the firmwares.

give me some feedback guys and gals

Message 1 of 55 (14,360 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5263 posts

Re: PS3 Yellow lights of death fix (it worked on mine)

Oct 18, 2008
well i suppose its a fix for corrupt HDD and firmware but only if you have the newer models. but as for everything else its useless.
Message 2 of 55 (14,360 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
213 posts

Oct 18, 2008

That's pretty clever.  Although I think that's exactly what Sony would do to repair it. But great info for those whose PS3's are out of warranty. Sony might not want this info public =X jk.

MONEY_MADDEN
Message 3 of 55 (14,360 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
895 posts

Oct 18, 2008

alextheawesome wrote:
well i suppose its a fix for corrupt HDD and firmware but only if you have the newer models. but as for everything else its useless.

why would it only be good for the newer models ? 

seems to me it would work like this on all of them . 

LINKNESS

also with firmware 2.5 sony put in a " secret " diagnostic menu . 

It appears that firmware 2.50 also added one other feature, meant to help PS3 owners that are trying to troubleshoot their system. A recovery menu (pictured above) gives users access to a variety of restore features. It will even allow users to install a new firmware update, should anything go wrong during the installation process. To access the menu, you must hold down the power button to turn on the PS3 until you hear three beeps. Then the menu will show up.

There are a few reports of systems bricking after firmware updates, so this may be Sony's attempt at creating a fix for future problems. Hopefully, we'll never have to actually use this feature -- but if we do, it may be a quick way of avoiding a trip to the post office to send the PS3 to Sony's support center.

Message 4 of 55 (14,360 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9575 posts

Oct 18, 2008

xtc_customs wrote:

alextheawesome wrote:

why would it only be good for the newer models ? 

seems to me it would work like this on all of them . 

LINKNESS

also with firmware 2.5 sony put in a " secret " diagnostic menu . 

It appears that firmware 2.50 also added one other feature, meant to help PS3 owners that are trying to troubleshoot their system. A recovery menu (pictured above) gives users access to a variety of restore features. It will even allow users to install a new firmware update, should anything go wrong during the installation process. To access the menu, you must hold down the power button to turn on the PS3 until you hear three beeps. Then the menu will show up.

There are a few reports of systems bricking after firmware updates, so this may be Sony's attempt at creating a fix for future problems. Hopefully, we'll never have to actually use this feature -- but if we do, it may be a quick way of avoiding a trip to the post office to send the PS3 to Sony's support center.

becuase in some 40gb models the FW is in the HDD unlike all the other PS3s maybe since the new 80gb PS3 is really a 40gb model it works on it too
Photobucket
Message 5 of 55 (14,360 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
895 posts

Oct 18, 2008
FW was stored on HDD through the duration of 2.2 thru 2.5 on all models . i remember 60 and 80 members saying they had to supply FW to complete installation .
Message 6 of 55 (14,360 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
439 posts

Oct 18, 2008

Ariiel wrote:

becuase in some 40gb models the FW is in the HDD unlike all the other PS3s maybe since the new 80gb PS3 is really a 40gb model it works on it too

You obviously have never flashed firmware on any hardware before have you?   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware

Hardware: TWO PS3 BC 80gb (one 160gb upgraded), Sceptre X32BV-FullHD, 4 SixAxis, 1 Dualshock3, 1 Hori FightingStick3, 1 Hori FlightStick2, 1 Logitech G25 + Playseat Evolution seat, 1 GunCon3, PS EYE, 2 Nyko Frontman guitars, PS2 memory adapter
Software: Warhawk, GT5 prologue, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Fightnight Round 3, Enchanted Arms, Folklore, Virtua Fighter 5, Time Crisis 4, NBA Live 08, SuperStardustHD, oh yeah, LITTLE BIG PLANET RECALL EDITION, Hotshot Golf Out of Bounds!!
Message 7 of 55 (14,360 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2023 posts

Oct 18, 2008

webkyaw wrote:

Ariiel wrote:

You obviously have never flashed firmware on any hardware before have you?   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware

Yes, we know firmware usually resides on an EPRom chip, but in Sony's case it looks like they're somehow also using the HDD to store some info on at least the 40 GB model.
Message 8 of 55 (14,360 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
895 posts

Oct 18, 2008
guess we will have to get a 40G users to upgrade their HDD after FW 2.5 to confirm one way or the other .
Message 9 of 55 (14,360 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2023 posts

Oct 18, 2008

xtc_customs wrote:
guess we will have to get a 40G users to upgrade their HDD after FW 2.5 to confirm one way or the other .

Haha yeah, more testing is definitely needed.
Message 10 of 55 (14,360 Views)
0 Likes