Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 19 2008
By: AsYouW1sh~ First Son 6 posts

PS3 USB Joystick

5 replies 1403 views Edited May 19, 2008

Yo gamers - help the n00b.

I am trying to get a USB joystick hooked up to my PS3.  Plating GT Prologue.  Stick is Logitech Attach3.
I plugged it in while the system was OFF, powered on, loaded GTP, and the stick seemed to work OK when the game started up, going through the menus.  I moved left / right to select options, hit Button 1 to select (repalced the X button).  It looked good.  Go into Events and the stick lets you select options, go to Start and hit B1 and the race starts.

But THEN it goes bad.  When i actually try to DRIVE, the stick does not work at all.  Button 1, which works like X in the menus, no longer works.  Trying to steer using the stick does nothing.

The stick does not show up in the Options anywhere, even as a generic 2-button, 2-axis joystiick (which is waht I expected).

ANd the regular controller is compeltely non-functional!  as sson as the system starts up, the controller does not work.  It's like the stick completely repalces the controller.  But not in the actual DRIVING part of the game.  At that point, one of the buttons, Button 8 maybe, acts like the O button, and i can back out of the race. 

Am i missing something?

Is it normal that the contraoller does not work when a stick is plugged in?

Are there only SPECIFIC sticks that work with PS3?

TIA,

<banzai!> 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (1,403 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17841 posts

Re: PS3 USB Joystick

May 19, 2008
I'm gonna take a wild guess, but uhh...the game doesnt support a joystick?

42" Panasonic Plasma TH-42PZ700U 1080p w/ Yamaha 5.1 720W Surround Sound
Get to Know Your Fellow Gamer Thread!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (1,403 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

May 19, 2008

welllll - i reckon that's possible.

i was laboring under the misconception that "not supported" meant it wouldn't work AT ALL.  when it worked in the game menus i thought i had a shot.

i had high hopes for the USB ports, but maybe i should be more conservative in my  expectations.

i'm sure that's it.

thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (1,403 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17841 posts

May 19, 2008

AsYouW1sh wrote:

welllll - i reckon that's possible.

i was laboring under the misconception that "not supported" meant it wouldn't work AT ALL.  when it worked in the game menus i thought i had a shot.

i had high hopes for the USB ports, but maybe i should be more conservative in my  expectations.

i'm sure that's it.

thanks. 

Haha, no i see what you meant, but the thing is...the controller mapping has to apply to the plugged in controller. The joystick isnt mapped for so you wont get full functionality...basically the ps3 doesnt know what to do with the buttons/stick and vice versa.

The USB ports allow for alot of expansion, but the game needs to know what it's using. In the game's config it shows applicable wheels to use. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (1,403 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

May 19, 2008

but the weirdest part is that, even when driving, one of the joystick buttons still worked.  so it knew how to handle ONE button, to exit the race.  so it DOES get input from the joystick, and it DOES know what to do with one button, but not the rest.  just kind of stange, to me.

I'm a PC gamer, and go the PS3 because my son has a WII and a 360 and I need something cool to compete.  and i wanted to play GTA4.

anyway, PCs know when you hve a USB device attached, and know how to handle the "normal" operation of the device, even without special drivers.  i can use my Logitech Attack3 USB koystick as a dump 2-button, 2-axis joystick, or i can load the drivers and use all 12 buttons and the "roller" control.

it would be nice of the PS3 would do the same.  maybe it will be in a later update.

i'm not used to the PS3 controllers and i'm trying to avoid spending $150 on a new driving wheel.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (1,403 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17841 posts

May 20, 2008

AsYouW1sh wrote:

but the weirdest part is that, even when driving, one of the joystick buttons still worked.  so it knew how to handle ONE button, to exit the race.  so it DOES get input from the joystick, and it DOES know what to do with one button, but not the rest.  just kind of stange, to me.

I'm a PC gamer, and go the PS3 because my son has a WII and a 360 and I need something cool to compete.  and i wanted to play GTA4.

anyway, PCs know when you hve a USB device attached, and know how to handle the "normal" operation of the device, even without special drivers.  i can use my Logitech Attack3 USB koystick as a dump 2-button, 2-axis joystick, or i can load the drivers and use all 12 buttons and the "roller" control.

it would be nice of the PS3 would do the same.  maybe it will be in a later update.

i'm not used to the PS3 controllers and i'm trying to avoid spending $150 on a new driving wheel.

It won't because the standardized joystick is nonexistent on the console. It works on PCs because PCs have a standard joystick mapping scheme.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (1,403 Views)
0 Likes