Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 22 2010
By: THEROBERTSEFFECT First Son 1 posts

PS3 Turned itself off and wont turn back on?

3 replies 88 views Edited Aug 22, 2010

Hi,

Just need your help and advice if possible guys.

What happened was today I was playing on my PS3 and it decided to turn itself off with the game still inside the machine.

Now when I try and turn the PS3 back on, the green light appears as if it is about to go back on but then a few seconds later the light goes from green to a flashing red light and I still cant get the game out either.

Is it a overheating problem or is the PS3 in need of repair?:

Message 1 of 4 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Re: PS3 Turned itself off and wont turn back on?

Aug 22, 2010

when you turn it on it goes, green quick yellow,  red blinking. this signals "general hardware failure".

it could be anything, but if its an older model its most likely that the gpu and cpu have lost conectivity with the mb due to micro-cracks in the solder.

option1- send it to sony and for 150-170$ they send you a refurb with a 90 day warrenty.

2-third party repair like gophermods.com,, little cheaper, and they will sell you a longer warrenty.

3-basement d-i-y-s fix, google 'ps3 reflow", only temporary

4- sell as is on craigslist, put that money towards a new slim with a new warrenty <--- my choice, tyhe new one is cooler, quieter, and uses less electricity.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 4 (88 Views)
0 Likes
VfV
First Son
7 posts

Aug 24, 2010

To me it sounds like the Power Supply Unit (PSU), which is really easy and inexpensive to fix.  Go to Ebay and buy the right PSU for your system, open it your system, unscrew the old on and install the new one, assemble your PS3 back.  Go to youtube and they have videos that show you how to do it step by step.  The samething happend to my PS3 (60GB).

Message 3 of 4 (88 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Aug 24, 2010

VfV wrote:

To me it sounds like the Power Supply Unit (PSU), which is really easy and inexpensive to fix.  Go to Ebay and buy the right PSU for your system, open it your system, unscrew the old on and install the new one, assemble your PS3 back.  Go to youtube and they have videos that show you how to do it step by step.  The samething happend to my PS3 (60GB).

If fan noise is briefly heard when he turns on the system before it goes to blinking red, then the problem is unfortunately nothing to do with his power supply.

Message 4 of 4 (88 Views)
0 Likes