Feb 14 2010
By: PeRsiaNatoR Splicer 56 posts

PS3 Slim and optical audio problem

9 replies 1183 views Edited Feb 14, 2010

Hi, I recently got a Ps3 slim 120gb. I get no sound when I connect it to my Yamaha HTR-5890 using optical audio. The same exact setup would work on my original 60gb ps3. Ive tried playing with the settings and I had no luck in getting sound on the ps3 slim using optical. I get sound with hdmi through the tv only.

Has something changed with the new update/ps3 slim that I cant figure out  or is my ps3 slim defective?

Message 1 of 10 (1,183 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
566 posts

Re: PS3 Slim and optical audio problem

Feb 14, 2010

PeRsiaNatoR wrote:

Hi, I recently got a Ps3 slim 120gb. I get no sound when I connect it to my Yamaha HTR-5890 using optical audio. The same exact setup would work on my original 60gb ps3. Ive tried playing with the settings and I had no luck in getting sound on the ps3 slim using optical. I get sound with hdmi through the tv only.

Has something changed with the new update/ps3 slim that I cant figure out  or is my ps3 slim defective?

And you've tried setting the PS3 audio for either bitstream or PCM and 5.1DTS or Dolby for your Receiver.

Message 2 of 10 (1,183 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Feb 14, 2010
the ps3 only shows PCM and I pretty much went through all the different setting on the receiver. There isnt any light on the optical hole of the ps3, should there be some red light in there?
Message 3 of 10 (1,183 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
27085 posts

Feb 15, 2010

PeRsiaNatoR wrote:

Out of the box, the PS3 will output LCM 2ch. format audio on all ports.  If you change the audio output format to anything else, sound will be output on only one port at a time; meaning that if you can hear sound through the TV, then no sound is being output to the optical port.  You need to set the audio output to Digital Out (Optical) under (Settings>Sound Settings>Audio Output Settings).  The audio output format must be set to 2ch. or 5.1ch in a format that the HTR-5890 can decode.  It looks from the specifications that DTS 5.1 should work as the Audio Output Format.  LCM 5.1 should work also.  LCM 2ch. 44.1Khz is the most compatible setting.  If you are not getting sound, try that one first.

GKP

GKP
Message 4 of 10 (1,183 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Feb 15, 2010
You cannot use LPCM multichannel through an optical cable, only through HDMI.
Message 5 of 10 (1,183 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
27085 posts

Feb 15, 2010

xxpantherrrxx wrote:
You cannot use LPCM multichannel through an optical cable, only through HDMI.

If so, then it won't be selectable once digital out is selected as the port anyway.  DTS 5.1 should still work.

GKP

GKP
Message 6 of 10 (1,183 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Feb 15, 2010

Out of the box, the PS3 will output LCM 2ch. format audio on all ports.  If you change the audio output format to anything else, sound will be output on only one port at a time; meaning that if you can hear sound through the TV, then no sound is being output to the optical port.  You need to set the audio output to Digital Out (Optical) under (Settings>Sound Settings>Audio Output Settings).  The audio output format must be set to 2ch. or 5.1ch in a format that the HTR-5890 can decode.  It looks from the specifications that DTS 5.1 should work as the Audio Output Format.  LCM 5.1 should work also.  LCM 2ch. 44.1Khz is the most compatible setting.  If you are not getting sound, try that one first.

GKP

That's what I've done. I switched to optical out, and there's no sound when I do so. I tried all the formats selectable. 

Message 7 of 10 (1,183 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
566 posts

Feb 15, 2010

PeRsiaNatoR wrote:

GKP

That's what I've done. I switched to optical out, and there's no sound when I do so. I tried all the formats selectable. 

I also have a Yamaha receiver, different model, but very similar.

They have this annoying feature where if there are 2 physical inputs (TOSLINK-optical, S/PDIF-coax) per input channel. If you have both connected, it will ignore the optical and use the coax. Is this possible in your case?

Have you physically removed the optical cable and checked the ends to make sure they're clean and the PS3 port is clean? Any chance of trying the cable on another RX port? or using the cable from RX to another device (to the TV)? to test it.

Message 8 of 10 (1,183 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Feb 17, 2010

How do I check for a coax input? The rx is my brother' so I don't know that much about it. I don't think there's anything else connected to it.if that's what you mean. 

The cable and rx work with the tv. The same exact setup worked with my old PS3, all I did was switch to the PS3 Slim and after choosing the proper settings for optical. I still get no sound. 

EDIT: I called sony and they said theres a problem with my ps3,since there is also no red light coming out of the optical ends when connected. Thanks for the help 

Message Edited by PeRsiaNatoR on 02-17-2010 10:06 AM
Message 9 of 10 (1,183 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 17, 2010

Same thing happened to me.  I have an Onkyo receiver hooked up with an optical cable.  I have my slim set up optical/bitstream with Dolby Digital & DTS checked off.  This works fine.

I  have my other slim connected with an optical cable as well but to my computer sound card. I get no sound when trying to play a game with the same settings above.  The only thing I did different was uncheck Dolby Digital & DTS.  Work like a charm.  Try it.  It might work for you.

Message 10 of 10 (1,183 Views)
0 Likes