Dec 17 2010
By: DemonSmokr427 Monster Hunter 43 posts

PS3 Slim 250gb Problems

2 replies 1229 views Edited Dec 17, 2010

First off, hirstory of the system. I first got it earlier this year in March. Shortly after the bug with the clock. Not why I upgraded, my 80gb was starting to run real hot and loud every day no matter what I did. Cleaned it, lined the vents with dryer sheets, Had a fan positioned right next to it but blowing away from it instead of on it. It ran fine, never had any major problems with it except the occasional freezing going to websites I should not be. So I decided to upgrade to the 250gb slim version before I started having any real problems with it. So I got the Slim around the end of March, just before Bad Company 2 came out. Reasons for upgrading were my 80gb was very used and I wanted something that was supposed to last longer. They claimed it used less power with the smaller power supply, fans ran quieter, and produced less heat. So I bought into the marketing I guess, and it has been an EPIC Failure ever since.

Problems: One month after purchase started running very hot and very loud playing any game, browsing youtube and the internet, basically anything I would do. It would freeze on every game I played, even Modern Warfare 2, which I had ZERO problems with my fat 80gb. So I sent it in for service. They told me it would take 3-5 business days from when they recieved my PS3 to when they shipped it back. They got it late afternoon one day around 4:00pm according to UPS, and they shipped it backout to me the following morning according to UPS. I thought that was rather quick. It finally got me after going through Customs for reasons unknown. After about a week of playing, some problems. Gets real hot, starts to freeze, runs loud playing every game I have. Including games from PSN. So I call them again, one guy tells me to do this process of deleting corrupted data. Reasons why my data was getting corrupted went unknown. So I got pissed, hung up the phone and dealt with it knowing I was still under warranty. So one day, late October, I was playing Red Dead zombies, and everything crashed on me. So I called up for service again. They sent me the box, and I went to format the HDD and it completely crashed on me. Kept saying hardware was unrecognizable and all kinds of weird crap. So they told me to just send it in. I got it back a couple weeks later.

So after 2 times of sending it in for service in just over 6 months, I got it back early November. Since then, it has froze on me during every aspect of the PS3. Just straight up freezes with the annoying skipping sounds or schreeching noises. It has froze on me during PS Home, Store, PS Life, every game I play including all downloaded games, PSOne games, searching the internet, everything. So at this point I figured I deserved some sort of compensation for paying 350$ for a brand new PS3 and getting a rebuilt one in less than 3 months. I spoke to a supervisor and she agreed, but the only compensation she will give me is a PS3 game release by Sony. But they wont give me a list of games to choose from. Assuming the price of most new games if 50-65$, I suggested something different. Give me 50$ credit to the PSN Store to do what I want with. They claim they cannot do that. It is not in their authority, and will not give me any numbers to contact someone else on the matter. They will only let me talk to the "supervisor" when you call 877-971-7669 and press 0. I have not been able to contact anyone else on the matter.

My argument/rant/butthurtness is about me spending 350$ for a refurbished PS3. They are willing to give me a crappy game that cost 50-65$ brand new, but not willing to give me a 50$ PSN card. They wont even tell me what games I can choose from. Just a Sony game. Thats all they will say, so I suggested a few and they said not on the list. But wont tell me what is. At this point, the only compensation I want, is the extended warranty plan. Im already a Plus member, so It only costs me 44.99$. So a 50$ PSN card would take care of it and let me get a movie or something. But they would rather give me a game that costs more, not let me know which games I can get, and otherwise tell me too bad.

The reason I am posting, is am I wrong about wanting compensation for spending the amount for a brand new Slim and getting a refurbished one? All I want is the extended warranty because obviously they are not fixing my PS3 right and Im sure I will have plenty more problems coming up. What is a more valid compensation when they do dish it out, a choice of crappy games they wont let you know what they are, or a 50$ credit on the PSN Store?

Message 1 of 3 (1,229 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
407 posts

Re: PS3 Slim 250gb Problems

Dec 17, 2010

Sounds like horrible luck but........

lined the vents with dryer sheets?

Message 2 of 3 (1,228 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Re: PS3 Slim 250gb Problems

Dec 17, 2010
Haha, yeah they work great as air filters. Looks ugly but does help greatly keping the dust out.
Message 3 of 3 (1,228 Views)
0 Likes